AXEFX III, X-LOAD LB-2, GUYTRON GT 100 ...CAN I??

bradlake

Axe-Master
I have had a very bad case of GAS recently, which has included good success with my X-Load and Friedman Runt 20 thru my III (and IIxl), which led me to the purchase of my bucket list physical amp head , a stil-on the bench Guytron GT 100 which I am to receive within a couple weeks. I was planning to use it almost exclusively in my studio setup with no cab involved, but my communication with Graydon from Guytron yesterday gave me pause, and now I need the advice of the truly knowledgeable, like @FractalAudio cliff or @Admin M@ Matt. I will quote the text conversation we had..

Graydon-
“I thought you might like that. It’s not a comprehensive demo or anything like that. Just some noodling after getting it fired up. The amp sounds great. It makes 100 Watts Clean and at full dirty it’s one of the most powerful yet at 200 Watts! Usually they are around 170-180 Watts dirty. “
Me
“Hmmm. I was planning on using it with my Fractal Audio LB-2 Loadbox , which only allows input of 100W @8ohms max , ..wonder if that could be an issue...”

“It won’t be an issue as long as you don’t turn the master and the channel volumes too high. However you will probably find that it doesn’t help you. Our master volume is quite different from all other amps out there.
We have a 20 watt amp in the preamp. We have a load device which then feeds a line level signal to the 100 watt power section which is controlled by the master volume and the lathe knobs tone section. That 100 watt section acts like a pa amplifier basically. “.....

This was the first indication to me that the amp was not truly 100W max, as advertised. Is his advice correct, or should I not use the amp with the LB 2 at all? Am I tinkling in the wind on this?? Thanks.
BTW, i place this here as there is not yet a dedicated X Load forum area...)

310C2154-7284-43CE-A4A6-782A63219A81.jpeg
Mine is the upside down naked one on blocks on top.....but I really need a proper answer on my OP before I figure out how to deal with my situation...

I have had a very bad case of GAS recently, which has included good success with my X-Load and Friedman Runt 20 thru my III (and IIxl), which led me to the purchase of my bucket list physical amp head , a stil-on the bench Guytron GT 100 which I am to receive within a couple weeks. I was planning to use it almost exclusively in my studio setup with no cab involved, but my communication with Graydon from Guytron yesterday gave me pause, and now I need the advice of the truly knowledgeable, like @FractalAudio cliff or @Admin M@ Matt. I will quote the text conversation we had..

Graydon-
“I thought you might like that. It’s not a comprehensive demo or anything like that. Just some noodling after getting it fired up. The amp sounds great. It makes 100 Watts Clean and at full dirty it’s one of the most powerful yet at 200 Watts! Usually they are around 170-180 Watts dirty. “
Me
“Hmmm. I was planning on using it with my Fractal Audio LB-2 Loadbox , which only allows input of 100W @8ohms max , ..wonder if that could be an issue...”

“It won’t be an issue as long as you don’t turn the master and the channel volumes too high. However you will probably find that it doesn’t help you. Our master volume is quite different from all other amps out there.
We have a 20 watt amp in the preamp. We have a load device which then feeds a line level signal to the 100 watt power section which is controlled by the master volume and the lathe knobs tone section. That 100 watt section acts like a pa amplifier basically. “.....

This was the first indication to me that the amp was not truly 100W max, as advertised. Is his advice correct, or should I not use the amp with the LB 2 at all? Am I tinkling in the wind on this?? Thanks.
Bumping this hoping for some guidance before I go full support.......Thanks!

Seems to me that this is similar to the Fryette Power Station but built as a complete amp. Basically the 100W power amp is just going to amplify a signal taken back to line level so the power amp would not have to be even tube and is probably very neutral sounding. You should ask the manufacturer if it's possible to have a jack installed to get the line level feed from the preamp which you could then feed to whatever IR loader you want to use. That said, the LB-2 should probably work just fine but you'll have no benefit from turning up the volume on the amp.

You don't really need to crank the power amp, because the "preamp" is it's own pre and power amp combo. Just feed the load a healthy signal, since it's not really meant to add anything. You're a lucky guy, the guytron is one of the only amps that still tempt me. That and Todd Sharp's JOAT

Back
Top Bottom