AxeFX III: What's Missing?

What is missing for me personally is (haven't read the whole topic):
1) Bluetooth editor for Ipad or IPhone (like the H9 for example).
2) Better and more bass amps
3) Polyphonic pitch detection for pitch shifter (like EHX)

Last edited:
Why amp knobs, specifically? Apart from Level, I rarely even change any amp settings, only after updating firmware. To me, hi/low cut on the cab block are more important. Or gate settings.
Howbout the front panel would only have these buttons/knobs:
Preset select (10 presets, assigned in software)
Amp1/2 switch (sets which amp you are editing)
Gain
Gain 2
Bass Middle Treble Depth Pressence,
Master, level, Output1,2,3,4.
A few user assignable knobs (You could use those for hi/low cuts or gate). Or hey, all knobs could be completely user assignable. That would work for anything.
Tuner.
Maybe a "save" button.

All of this can possibly fit onto 2U, maybe even 1U.

Boom. You are set. This stuff is enough to get you through a show or a rehearsal and is far more comfortable and natural than navigating menus. Everything else, like routing and settings and stuff, should be prepared before the show, using axe edit. Or, if you really want to do it during a show, use a phone.

Gain
Gain 2
A few user assignable knobs (You could use those for hi/low cuts or gate). Or hey, all knobs could be completely user assignable. That would work for anything.
Tuner.
Maybe a "save" button.

Boom. You are set. This stuff is enough to get you through a show or a rehearsal and is far more comfortable and natural than navigating menus. Everything else, like routing and settings and stuff, should be prepared before the show, using axe edit. Or, if you really want to do it during a show, use a phone.
Sorry, that's just not appealing to me at all. I don't want to be required to connect an extra device to my equipment to make it do what it should be able to do natively. It's sort of a neat idea for a novelty, but I don't want to have to rely on it.

Gain
Gain 2
Tuner.
Maybe a "save" button.

I certainly wouldn’t need most of the knobs you mention on the front panel. And I need others. So the soft knobs which change function based on where you are would be the best compromise between various user needs. Selecting presets also requires seeing the result. So I don’t think doing without a display completely is such a great idea.

Except.. well, they could. Feel free to look up the Bluetooth and WiFi exploits that surfaced only in the last year. That doesn't mean that there's no place for Bluetooth or WiFi. But it's not in a device where flawless uninterrupted performance is a primary design goal.

Well, they can't. Every system has problems so every system needs to be updated at times. There's been instances where the Axe Fx locks up and has to be restarted for instance. But there's nothing inherently insecure about wireless and just because your phone has wifi enabled it doesn't mean that you're automatically going to get hacked when you walk past an Internet Café. There's just not widespread fundamental issues like that. Also, the systems where you can pay with your phone or watch uses bluetooth and if they where inherently insecure you would be robbed blind first time you use them. But you won't.

Bluetooth also has the additional security benefit of very limited range so is ideal for things like this.

Gain
Gain 2
Tuner.
Maybe a "save" button.

I appreciate the concept, but I think this would lead to way more complaints than having everything available via the current interface. I can’t imagine being at a gig and need to adjust a delay, or add a block for a song real quick, and having to fumble to get my phone out, connected, and then stare at it on stage.

I would guess that maybe only 50% of Axe users don’t change a thing (other than what you mentioned) at the gig. Maybe that’s way off, but I think it’s natural to want to adapt things per gig. I think “boom you are set” wouldn’t describe many people.

And sure, maybe you can always just have your phone out for that purpose assuming wireless was possible. But I don’t know... having it that easy might make me focus too much on changing things all gig long, staring at my phone. Personally I already have lyrics or set lists on my phone and sometimes my wireless mixer iPad going, so I can just imagine the guy with 3 iPads on his mic stand because “he needs it” to get through a gig. Not judging, but come on ;)

Think of it from a support stand point too, which is a huge consideration for any company. With a variable front panel interface, you are going to naturally get so many questions. Heck, with the AX8 we constantly have people asking how to get a Scene switch setup, or why a delay block isn’t on the Footswitch screen etc. While it is a pretty straight forward concept to add it there, it is probably in the top 3 questions, along side “out 1 is 100% why am I clipping” :D

Someone I know has a X32 core. It’s a 1u digital mixer with basically zero physical control, everything needs to be done via wireless. As a concept it works. It’s light and small and great. But at a gig one day, his router died and he had zero control. Thank goodness it was at sound check and I was able to use my X32 rack - which is a 3u device with full control from the front panel - to get us through the gig. Are the dials and menu/screen hopping a bit slower than an iPad interface? Yup. But we had complete control over everything and made it sound good. What should he have done, bring an extra router? Extra iPads? I can’t imagine packing those extra things just for my Axe even just as a guitarist for a gig. There’s enough WiFi going on already on stages these days. Imagine every band member bringing their own router for their own setup... it really is a problem. Oh and they use Line 6 or Shure digital wireless too... yikes!

This is definitely an interesting discussion. If we use WiFi, we crowd the airwaves. If we use Bluetooth, the guy who wants to stand 100 feet away and adjust his guitar sound can’t do it. This is definitely much more difficult than “just put wireless in.” There are so many things to consider and it would take a wealth of resources to implement, and need lots of support from the development, hardware, and customer support side.

Would it be nice though? Sure. I think people hold FAS in high regard, and I think it deserves it for sure. But I think sometimes the desires/demands are unfair or out of place a bit. “Why don’t you straight-up copy this unique feature from that product,” “this cheaper thing has it, therefore the Axe should too,” “it does 90% of what I want, but I won’t buy it because this small feature isn’t in it,” “the Axe III should have everything ever in it.” A consumer can wish for anything they want of course, but in the big picture gear is gear and has its limits. And the development has to be something that the company can actually support. Maybe we’ll see this one day, but it certainly isn’t as easy as “just put in wireless.”

I appreciate the concept, but I think this would lead to way more complaints than having everything available via the current interface. I can’t imagine being at a gig and need to adjust a delay, or add a block for a song real quick, and having to fumble to get my phone out, connected, and then stare at it on stage.

Was there ever a case when you or anyone else had to quickly go to the axe FX and add an extra block on the layout in the middle of a show? Well, i guess that's possible, but how often does that happen? Imagine guys who use analog gear - "Hey, wait till l take a delay pedal out of my gig bag and connect it to my pedalboard". That's even worse than searching for your phone.
If you know that you will need to fiddle around with effect settings during a live performance, you better prepare them before the show, or during sound check, or set them up as user assignable control knobs... Being unprepared is not very pro like.

I would guess that maybe only 50% of Axe users don’t change a thing (other than what you mentioned) at the gig. Maybe that’s way off, but I think it’s natural to want to adapt things per gig. I think “boom you are set” wouldn’t describe many people.
Making sure my sound works in the specific room is only an EQ thing, that is up to the sound engineer, or amp settings, that can be real knobs, just like on analog gear...

I am one of those guys who don't change anything at all during a live show, even amp settings. I don't touch the axe FX at all.
My preset is set up exactly as it should before any show and all problems that occur are troubleshooted during soundcheck.
I guess there can be some problems that you only notice during the show... Well... Happens.

Perhaps there are some musicians that like to brainstorm and improvise with their effects in the middle of the show.
If so, they might as well have their phones or pads always connected and ready to adjust things.

Someone I know has a X32 core. It’s a 1u digital mixer with basically zero physical control, everything needs to be done via wireless. As a concept it works. It’s light and small and great. But at a gig one day, his router died and he had zero control. Thank goodness it was at sound check and I was able to use my X32 rack - which is a 3u device with full control from the front panel - to get us through the gig. Are the dials and menu/screen hopping a bit slower than an iPad interface? Yup. But we had complete control over everything and made it sound good. What should he have done, bring an extra router? Extra iPads? I can’t imagine packing those extra things just for my Axe even just as a guitarist for a gig. There’s enough WiFi going on already on stages these days. Imagine every band member bringing their own router for their own setup... it really is a problem. Oh and they use Line 6 or Shure digital wireless too... yikes!

I can imagine that WIFI or Bluetooth problems can occur and that would totally suck.
The solution to that is simple: A wired connection. Just connect your phone with a USB cable.

I don't believe that Fractal must have necessarily added bluetooth/wifi control, but it's would have been nice.
It's up to them. With or without wifi, the Axe is a great piece of kit worth every penny.

I believe the world is big enough for various versions of the axe FX. With or without screens and wifi controls. We all have different tastes or needs or workflows with our devices, and a lightweight screenless axe FX would, at least I imagine, suit me best.

But I think sometimes the desires/demands are unfair or out of place a bit. “Why don’t you straight-up copy this unique feature from that product,” “this cheaper thing has it, therefore the Axe should too,” “it does 90% of what I want, but I won’t buy it because this small feature isn’t in it,” “the Axe III should have everything ever in it.” A consumer can wish for anything they want of course, but in the big picture gear is gear and has its limits. And the development has to be something that the company can actually support. Maybe we’ll see this one day, but it certainly isn’t as easy as “just put in wireless.”

What if the Axe-FX II already does like 99% of what I want, and the only gap in functionality is the lack of a wireless interface? What's my incentive to upgrade?

I never adjust my II during gigs, in fact I stick it under a stage riser and never look at it. Having a guitar player constantly on his phone tweaking settings during a gig would be the height of annoying 2018 phone behavior. But in order to get things to that "fire and forget" state, I have to tweak it a lot during rehearsal. These tweaks are more than twisting a dedicated front panel amp knob. I might adjust the mix of two delay blocks in relation to each other, I might insert a PEQ block to boost or notch a frequency to make tones fit with the other guitar player. I do a ton of relative volume adjustment between scenes. All this means that I spend a lot of time during rehearsals on my knees squinting at the front panel. This is really my only beef with the Axe-FX II; it's a dream rig in every other respect.

So the Axe-FX III is like I'm already winning the Indy 500 by a mile, and someone just offered to double my horsepower. I don't need more horsepower. What I really need is for someone to fix this lump sticking up from the driver's seat that makes my ass hurt. If that's technically not feasible, fine. I'll happily stick with the II.

Read this on another post regarding the FC -
Cliff said no, they will not be ready when the iii starts shipping

If this is the case - may as well delay the Axe III release and kit it out with WiFi etc... As wont be able to use the Axe III live without the FC o_O

Read this on another post regarding the FC -
If this is the case - may as well delay the Axe III release and kit it out with WiFi etc... As wont be able to use the Axe III live without the FC o_O

Sure you can, don't use their foot controller.. One of the reasons I don't use FAS's foot controllers.

is there any other guitar-specific processor or amp that allows WiFi control of everything? this doesn't seem like a new problem, is all i'm saying. sure there's an opportunity here, but would the Axe-Fx be the first guitar processor ever to be edited and controlled via WiFi? it would right?

for digital mixers, it clearly makes sense and has helped the industry tremendously. but the sound guy IS responsible for all of that and needs to be out in various places other than mix position. one could argue that the guitarist really should be staying at his place on the stage and let the sound guy do the mixing.

of course, today we all do various jobs and it would be great. so like i said before, this is an opportunity. but i don't think we're losing out on anything since we haven't really had it before, on ANY guitar rig.

I commented about the lack of wireless editing capability (wifi or bluetooth) in the original AFX3 'Presenting...' thread along with several others and one thing I have noticed is that Cliff has not commented on any of the complaints regarding it. Maybe I am just reading into things but it almost seems like he is avoiding talking about it because possibly, the upcoming Mark II edition WILL have this capability in it and he doesn't want to impact sales of the Mark I since many folks would wait for the Mark II to have this capability.

Then don't upgrade. If a new device doesn't offer the one thing you want over the old device, then keep the old device!

I really don't understand your logic...
The logic is simple.

This is something some think is missing and posted in thread titled "what's missing"

I don't understand the logic in the select few whom feel they have to challenge another's opinion because they disagree with it.

Is it so hard to simply say, I don't need that option and move on?

It's gets old when every time you post, the same few reply forcing you to defend your opinion lol....

Well, they can't.
Either you do not follow IT security news, or we assess them very differently.

Every system has problems so every system needs to be updated at times.
Which is precisely why, all else being equal, adding a new communication system makes a device less secure by definition.

But there's nothing inherently insecure about wireless
Yes there is, because (differently from tweaking knobs or plugging a USB cable in) there is no practical way to limit physical use of this communication channel.

and just because your phone has wifi enabled it doesn't mean that you're automatically going to get hacked when you walk past an Internet Café. There's just not widespread fundamental issues like that. Also, the systems where you can pay with your phone or watch uses bluetooth and if they where inherently insecure you would be robbed blind first time you use them. But you won't.

Bluetooth also has the additional security benefit of very limited range so is ideal for things like this.
Basically those statements are all just various ways of saying "doesn't happen automatically/regularly/too often, didn't happen to me yet, so it's not a real problem". But that doesn't stand logical/statistical scrutiny. Which is fine for decisions that only affect your own life, but I try to avoid software and/or devices designed with this attitude (including the payment systems you mention). Unfortunately it is all too common, but that does not make it right.

The logic is simple.

This is something some think is missing and posted in thread titled "what's missing"

I don't understand the logic in the select few whom feel they have to challenge another's opinion because they disagree with it.

Is it so hard to simply say, I don't need that option and move on?

It's gets old when every time you post, the same few reply forcing you to defend your opinion lol....

It's a weird tendency that's more pronounced on this forum than elsewhere, probably because we're all pretty enthusiastic about Fractal gear...some much more than others, LOL. In my mind it's a simple, innocuous thing to say, "Does the new version have XYZ feature that'd I'd love to have? No? OK, fine, I'll stand pat with what I've got." Seems I'm wrong. For some, evidently that position is highly controversial and fraught with logical fallacy. o_O

It's a weird tendency that's more pronounced on this forum than elsewhere, probably because we're all pretty enthusiastic about Fractal gear...some much more than others, LOL. In my mind it's a simple, innocuous thing to say, "Does the new version have XYZ feature that'd I'd love to have? No? OK, fine, I'll stand pat with what I've got." Seems I'm wrong. For some, evidently that position is highly controversial and fraught with logical fallacy. o_O
It’s totally fine to stay with what you have. I personally am not saying “people should upgrade, stop wishing...” etc. The quote you posted is weird because he is frustrated that people gave their opinion on his suggestion, but he actually specifically asked for opinions on what he said. So his reaction doesn’t make sense.

I commented about the lack of wireless editing capability (wifi or bluetooth) in the original AFX3 'Presenting...' thread along with several others and one thing I have noticed is that Cliff has not commented on any of the complaints regarding it. Maybe I am just reading into things but it almost seems like he is avoiding talking about it because possibly, the upcoming Mark II edition WILL have this capability in it and he doesn't want to impact sales of the Mark I since many folks would wait for the Mark II to have this capability.

To be honest - this is what I was thinking, and I would be gutted to buy a new Axe III only to find a MK2is released with WiFi .... it is putting me off buying - maybe better to hang fire.

To be honest - this is what I was thinking, and I would be gutted to buy a new Axe III only to find a MK2is released with WiFi .... it is putting me off buying - maybe better to hang fire.
i'll just say we are very busy, and replying to every suggestion may not be a priority at this time. i don't want that to become a reason people think a new version is already coming out when the first one hasn't even shipped yet...

I think the problem I have with this conversation is some people are suggesting the best way to improve the AxeIII is to drop something I see as a major feature that basically sells me the AxeIII in favor of something I know I would never use outside of novelty.

Sure, wireless is cool. But dumping the wonderful giant screen, so we can have a bare bones faced one or two rack with a wireless phone connection gimmick is just ludicrous, and would UN-sell me.

That's basically what Line 6 has done on their amps, and I hate it.

Now, I'd love to see a proper Ethernet connection, cause that seems more of a proper professional networking solution than built in wireless. Then you can use whatever wireless solution you want.

Back
Top Bottom