AxeFX III: What's Missing?

HAVING to use wireless capability if it had it?
Yeah man. I'm talking about products that actually rely on cell phone operation. I've encountered that recently. So glad the III is not in that category.

Just a couple of weeks ago I bought a guitar hardware product where the latest version (just came out this year) requires a cell phone to operate (outside of three basic settings). So I bought the previous version of this hardware (probably won't be supported for long) - just to not have to deal with a cell phone onstage.

A forum member recently imagined the possibility of having a bare bones front panel and smaller chassis on the III, where everything would be controlled via a cell phone or tablet (so you wouldn't need a screen). Who knows, it could have gone that way. But I'm glad that's not the case. Options though? I'm all for them.

Just a couple of weeks ago I bought a guitar hardware product where the latest version (just came out this year) requires a cell phone to operate (outside of three basic settings).
Why would you want to operate it beyond the three basic controls during a live show? Does it not have presets or something?
It's really bad design if cruicial controls are not accesable during a live show without a phone....
Also... don't you carry a phone with you all the time anyway?

Considering the Axe: I'd rather carry a phone, than 2U rack space of weight. I am trying to keep my setup as light as possible. If I prepare my presets right, I wouldn't need a phone at all during the live show.

don't you carry a phone with you all the time anyway?
I think I'm the last guy left on the earth that doesn't carry a cell phone all the time. Don't like it. I don't like being so accessible. Only with family. I check my mail often though. I'm in and out. No "what's app". You can have it, jack. I am in favor of having the option to operate the Axe and other products with a tablet or phone, but I won't buy a piece of gear that requires it.

The other piece of gear you ask about: the settings I would most use are not within the three settings available without a cell phone.

Why would you want to operate it beyond the three basic controls during a live show? Does it not have presets or something?
It's really bad design if cruicial controls are not accesable during a live show without a phone....
Also... don't you carry a phone with you all the time anyway?

Considering the Axe: I'd rather carry a phone, than 2U rack space of weight. I am trying to keep my setup as light as possible. If I prepare my presets right, I wouldn't need a phone at all during the live show.
My definition of crucial, and another persons definition of crucial may not be the same.

For one, I find the main amp eq to be the least crucial knobs in a patch, and yet, they are the most common selected by effect designers to expose.

Also, I find the reliance on phones to do everything these days to be quite obnoxious. Put it down, man.

For one, I find the main amp eq to be the least crucial knobs in a patch, and yet, they are the most common selected by effect designers to expose.

Same here. I never touch those unless I want to redo a preset completely. Don’t see why - there’s FOH to deal with nuances, I don’t even hear what they hear properly. I never touch Gain or Master volume either.

Same here. I never touch those unless I want to redo a preset completely. Don’t see why - there’s FOH to deal with nuances, I don’t even hear what they hear properly. I never touch Gain or Master volume either.
I've kept my amp eqs the same since the amps I currently use were added. Same presence, and depth too. In fact, I'm not sure I've changed any settings in my amp blocks main page in over 3 years, even after updates, I put everything right back where it was before.

Really, the only thing I have changed recently was the layout of a patch. The last few times we played the song associated with that patch, it gave me some hickups, so I changed the way it was routed. It works much better now.

I think the AxeIII should have visual sensors and a holographic image generator as I prefer hand gestures, foot gestures and body language over touching any kind of control surface other than my guitar.
I am completely disappointed as I will have to wake for the Axe FX IV!

I wouldn’t say this is “missing“-however I would say in the future it would be cool if that beautiful screen was a touchscreen. I recently bought a new DSLR with an EVF and the touchscreen on that thing is surprisingly accurate, considering it’s about a third the size of what’s on the new fractal 3. More of a wish list items I guess. ;):D

Might make sense for the mods to move this over to the new Wishlist sub-forum.

I did not start this thread to list things I wished the AxeFX III had. I started it to discuss how people feel the AxeFX III compares to what they expected in a "next generation" AxeFX.

The AxeFX III is what it is. Get real, it will never have selectable sample rates or Bluetooth, so there's no point wishing for it.

This thread was intended to be a discussion of whether the AxeFX III has innovations that live up to the Fractal Audio legacy. Or is it just an AxeFX II with more CPU, channels, I/O?

I'd say the physical design should have been like an AX8 but with chameleon option so it can be 19" rack for the pro's and gear heads that need that, then have a touch screen interface that can extend from base unit via Ethernet cable so on the fly editing i.e. easily accomplished without a PC.

Back
Top Bottom