Axefx iii dsp fried

High CPU cannot damage the DSP. Also the cooling system is overdesigned. Whatever failed was not related to CPU usage or temperature.
Is this true if the cooling system fails? The reason I ask is that, unlike a server, I don't think a Fractal is going to send you an alert or throw an error.

Is this true if the cooling system fails? The reason I ask is that, unlike a server, I don't think a Fractal is going to send you an alert or throw an error.
The DSP won't get damaged if it overheats, it will just stop working. I've yet to see a unit overheat.

Our products are overdesigned. This is much ado about nothing.

I made sure to correct the technician who said this. Such a mis-statement will never again be uttered.

People who have never worked in a management capacity may not really understand this. You can have outstanding training and culture but occasionally somebody says or does something that they shouldn't do, even when they really probably know better. A lot of times, they know they shouldn't and don't know where it came from.

People who have never worked in a management capacity may not really understand this. You can have outstanding training and culture but occasionally somebody says or does something that they shouldn't do, even when they really probably know better. A lot of times, they know they shouldn't and don't know where it came from.

Man, I have to police the stuff my employee’s say all the time. Some of our tenants are more “sensitive” and we’re not dealing with small leases, they’re 10-15 year leases that equal millions, so we have to walk on eggshells at times. Some days start with a “This is the situation in the 1425 building; you can’t say anything to these tenants right now.”

Mmm. I can solder pretty well but, I believe the proper term is No Thanks :)
Of course it is much trickery than soldering wires in a guitar cavity but it is doable with minimal tools.
Of course that's a different surface mounted chip but the general idea is the same.
I'd still take it to a qualified tech with a SMD soldering station . My eyes aren't what they used to be.

Of course it is much trickery than soldering wires in a guitar cavity but it is doable with minimal tools.
Of course that's a different surface mounted chip but the general idea is the same.
I'd still take it to a qualified tech with a SMD soldering station . My eyes aren't what they used to be.

Too much heat for too long while soldering chip pins will very definitely kill it. I have done this many times :D

A real tech is the correct solution unless it's an emergency and you don't have an smd station. That's when you break out the solder paste & solder wick. To resolder a new part, don't use paste and a toaster oven!

I'm curious as to what the real cause ended up being after it's diagnosed. If it was connected to a power conditioner, it's overdesigned to avoid overheating, and nothing traumatic happened, I'd be interested to know what actually caused the failure. Best of luck, and hopefully you'll be back to tonal bliss in no time.
$700 worth …

"bit tricky"... yeah... imitating a wave solder machine with a soldering pencil....
For BGA chip you would use hot air rework station, not a soldering pencil. Anyway not for faint of heart!
But of course we didn't get definitive answer which component failed, so maybe soldering pencil would do.;)

Back
Top Bottom