AxeFx II (vs. Ultra) - has anybody actually heard it?

It changes the impedance of the input; different amps and pedals have different impedance loads on their input to load down the pickups/signal offering different feels/responses.

So these impedances are user selectable per patch?
Are there any recommendations as far as what impedances to use for different guitars?

To be honest the clip doesn't sound any better then Axe 1 clips I have heard.

:shock those clip sounds a lot better than standard and ultra , it's a lot more organic and more dynamic as well , strings sound is clearer and more defined , the mids are more "tube" , no digital harsh in there (even if this was really low on those previous AXE, but still there ) , and of course it's only the begining of AXE II .
I'm impressed !

Thanks for taking the time to make those clips Scott.

Sounds great especially for pretty much taking all defaults.

- Richard

Very quick, very simple. The mp3 does the dynamics *no* justice.

PRS Custom 22, Axe-FX II direct.

Assorted amp/cabs. Room verb from cab block; slight reverb (2.5% wet) on some of them. Rotary on the first part of the Friedman BE. Spent 20 seconds setting up each tone. (No BS on that).

Dude, sweet! Awesome tones there, sounds like right out of the box the amps have more "space" around them they breathe and sound like, well, the real deal! thanks for sharing :)

:shock those clip sounds a lot better than standard and ultra , it's a lot more organic and more dynamic as well , strings sound is clearer and more defined , the mids are more "tube" , no digital harsh in there (even if this was really low on those previous AXE, but still there ) , and of course it's only the begining of AXE II .
I'm impressed !
like (manual like)

Awesome...would you like to do some heavier clips? Already purchased a II, wanna hear the recto!!!! :D PLS..

Regards

Very good clips, Scott. If those are mostly just Amp/Cab simple patches, then DEAR LORD that sounds good.

You are quoting G66 stuff, not Fractal Audio stuff.

Remember that G66 is *not* Fractal Audio. Fractal didn't say that stuff. A distributor did.

Perhaps, but Fractal Audio didn't exactly step in to clarify did they? Same could be said of the all "nobody will be disappointed" nonsense. I don't have a dog in the fight as i'm quite happy w/ my ultra and excited about the apparent advancements. Curious though, just the same.

Sounds really good.

Something that always frustrates me is that I am in a minority in the sounds I go for I never hear clips in a style close to mine pre-purchase. Any chance someone at some point in the next couple of weeks/months could do a slow post-rock style clean clip (think GY!BE or ASMZ). I don't play post rock but that is probably closest to what I can describe in what I look for.

Thanx, Scott!
Impressive! I have to say I was not really a fan of most of your clips so far, but these sound great!
The room verb ist working fine!

Let me do proper clips once I have things actually dialed in.

It is so easy to dial up tones now. I've never found any box/amp/pedal whatever that gives up the goods like this. The dynamics and clarity are stunning. It's like ripe fruit is on a low hanging branch now - ripe, sweet and ready to pick. The sweet spots are massive. It's more expressive than some of the actual amps - folks will go insane huffing and puffing when I say that; but this is exciting and undeniable. The pick attack and response you can change up with the impedance selector with about a dozen choices there and do that per preset. The in the room parameters in the cab block will make you laugh out loud.

It builds on what the Ultra/Standard already did well and goes beyond...

Here's the FLAC file format:
For bmi/mba: http://www.mediafire.com/?bbbxd77al53ime5

For those of us brought up in this instant gratification culture: this is just cruel! :) Seriously though, thanks Scott. Looking forward to more clips.

Perhaps, but Fractal Audio didn't exactly step in to clarify did they? Same could be said of the all "nobody will be disappointed" nonsense.

I don't know about "nonsense".. or maybe it was naive of Cliff to think a new significantly improved Axe-Fx with the most requested hardware features at not a significantly increased price + a major new firmware revision incorporating some of the G2 goodness into the existing models would've made people happy.

I think it would've gone down easier if the new model was $4000 for a couple of months (or years)...

I think it would've gone down easier if the new model was $4000 for a couple of months (or years)...

I don't think that would have been necessary... but I do think it would have gone down easier if nobody had slapped the entire existing user base with highly abrasive statements like "the Standard and Ultra are history". *Especially* in print, on the Internet, and coming from the one-and-only official European distributor for Fractal.

A more politically correct way to introduce the Axe-FX II (without sh!tting on every Std and Ultra in existence) may not have led tho the mass exodus we're seeing.

On that note, I am keeping my Ultra. There's not enough good stuff in the II for me to jump ship (plus, the II only has one pedal input, and my use-model depends on having access to two of them).

EDIT: p.s. some official word from Fractal on whether the existing user base will or will not see any further significant f/w enhancements for Std / Ultra would also go a long way to restore customer confidence (which has now been badly shaken up).

Perhaps, but Fractal Audio didn't exactly step in to clarify did they? Same could be said of the all "nobody will be disappointed" nonsense.

The only "nonsense" being that he never said "nobody will be disappointed". He said the countdown "would not be a let down." Don't think anyone would argue that the axe fx II introduction was not worthy of the countdown.

Scott, I haven't tried to A/B your clip with anything else, but standing alone it sounds very impressive. Do the new features fundamentally change the way you will approach doing patches?

Back
Top Bottom