AxeFx II (vs. Ultra) - has anybody actually heard it?

multivir

Inspired
Hi,

I was excited to read about the new AxeFx II... I had my Ultra for more than a year and have no hard feelings against Fractal like some users who bought theirs a few weeks ago.

What I'd like to know: Has anybody on the forum (not Cliff) actually heard or tried it?
I wonder if it's really worth selling my Ultra to get a AxeFx II. I'll do it instantly if it makes sense. In other words - if there's a remarkable tonal difference. But I wouldn't want to spend two grand just to satisfy my inner geek.

Has anybody tried it? It would be cool to have a couple of (HD) youtube vids, where you could hear different Amps & FX A/B'd between the Ultra and the AxeFX II which would help me decide.

As of now it seems that all posts regarding the AxeFX II are based on Fractal's product announcement and not on actual player's experience. Any beta-testers here on the forum?

I haven't had a chance to get in depth with it yet, but it sounds spectacular. The redone amp models really sound good and are really easy to dial in. Low end seems to have more power with out getting muddy. It seems like it responds the volume knob of aguitar even better than before. Its hard to A/B directly because many cabs are different. All the new cabs sound GREAT though. The room reverb in cab block is really nice. I won't have any time until the weekend but I'll try to do some clips then. I am no Mark Day though ;)

When I first turned on and went to the Studio Lead preset, I just thought, "WOW!" that just plain sounds awesome. I didn't care if was tube, digital, solid state, or what. It just sounded sweet.

All the beta testers have one.
I know Scott has one (I have seen the pictures)

My guess is that the AXE-FX II has little improvements at the monent and there are all these hurdles to over come (some amps are missing in version 2, not yet ported)
But in the long run version II will become better and better with every new firmware update.

Personally I am not in a rush to update but I will eventually.

:idea

Low end seems to have more power with out getting muddy. It seems like it responds the volume knob of aguitar even better than before.
I've noticed this on the new 11.0 on the Ultra too. I'm sure the new amp modeling in II is going to be quite notable especially in the "feel" department.

Downloaduing Ultra version 11 now. We'll see.

In other news (and back on topic), do any Beta testers want to upload a quick soundcloud or something? Pretty please?

Regarding the AxeII; It's different. It's clearly a different beast; the in-the-room thing with the higher resolution IR's from the cab block and the deeper amp algorithms equate to an added depth, complexity and 'sing'. It's inspiring - like the finest amps - and will make you smile as you play.

This not just an Ultra on steroids with some physical features thrown in. This is a fully realized and different beast. The G2 (Gen 2) modeling is a head turner. The response to dialing down the guitar's volume is stunning - it still sings and is full of 'juicy goodness' like ripe fruit. The sweet spots for dialing up amp/cab tones is honestly simpler with the new modeling and the addition of physical knobs (five of them; the big value knob too!) makes it as fast to dial up stuff as it is in the editor. It is just 'more' goodness. The new effects are stunning. The whole experience is a different thing. It takes all the strengths of the Standard and Ultra, builds upon them and makes it simpler to both work with and faster to get the 'sweet spots' zeroed in.

That's no hype, no BS. I will be posting in far more detail sooner than later.

Last edited:
Of course, while I can hypothetically imagine the "you have to try it or a/b it against the Axe-Fx 1 to grasp it", at the moment it sounds a bit like "it washes even whiter".
The Axe-Fx already sounds so good, hard to think how exactly the improvements might sound/feel.
Make some a/b recordings now, will ya?! :twisted

On a personal note, I'd probably get the new version rather for enhanced FX and usability than pure amp/cab sound quality.

Seb

On a personal note, I'd probably get the new version rather for enhanced FX and usability than pure amp/cab sound quality.

Seb
Same here. My Ultra sounds good enough. Its cab models already have more points than I can hear. And any deeper amp blocks won't make any difference to me.

The reason I have GAS for Axe-FX II is for the usability features I have been pushing into the wish-list for years for enhancements to the Ultra: global effects, compare, separate output 2 mode, named user-cabs, preset swap, etc... and of course, a "fresh commitment to continual improvement"...

agreed its the upgrades that will kill the old and in with the new; more space, more upgrades, and more HIGH GAIN AMPS CLIFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF, I know you hear me but must not like metal?

See, I want an AFX2 - for the G2 sims only. Everything else I can live without - though there nice additions. I have a standard anyway, as I wouldnt use the FX in the Ultra and i dont use cab sims.

Ultimately though I paid £1100 for my standard 3 years ago, and the ZFX2 is £2300 - so more than double. As a family man and hobbyist guitarist i dont have that kind of money floating around. Its gutting - but 11.0 does help.

Ultimately I have some stuff I can sell - though It may take a while - and then i will only be £600 short of AFX2. i can make that up and then sell the Standard once I have the AFX2. Its a plan but might not come off. Ultimately the next time i can be sure of having the needed funds is in 2 years time - when I leave the Army and get a pension payout. I had ringfenced £2 for a "treat" anyway, and I guess that will now be AFX2 - or who knows, maybe Axe-Fx Ultra 2 by then. All it takes is the TigerSHARC to be released with 700Mhz speed and for cliff to gie the AFX2 the same treatment he gave the Axe to make the Ultra.

Ultimately i waited nearly 2 years after first hearing about, and wanting the Axe before I could realise that dream - if I have to do the same with AFX2 i can. i can ease the pain knowing I still have a Standard :)

Regarding the AxeII; It's different. It's clearly a different beast; the in-the-room thing with the higher resolution IR's from the cab block and the deeper amp algorithms equate to an added depth, complexity and 'sing'. It's inspiring - like the finest amps - and will make you smile as you play.

This not just an Ultra on steroids with some physical features thrown in. This is a fully realized and different beast. The G2 (Gen 2) modeling is a head turner. The response to dialing down the guitar's volume is stunning - it still sings and is full of 'juicy goodness' like ripe fruit. The sweet spots for dialing up amp/cab tones is honestly simpler with the new modeling and the addition of physical knobs (five of them; the big value knob too!) makes it as fast to dial up stuff as it is in the editor. It is just 'more' goodness. The new effects are stunning. The whole experience is a different thing. It takes all the strengths of the Standard and Ultra, builds upon them and makes it simpler to both work with and faster to get the 'sweet spots' zeroed in.

That's no hype, no BS. I will be posting in far more detail sooner than later.

hehe this post just made me feel bad! Now i know the standard that I own just aint good enough....

Same here. My Ultra sounds good enough. Its cab models already have more points than I can hear. And any deeper amp blocks won't make any difference to me.

The reason I have GAS for Axe-FX II is for the usability features I have been pushing into the wish-list for years for enhancements to the Ultra: global effects, compare, separate output 2 mode, named user-cabs, preset swap, etc... and of course, a "fresh commitment to continual improvement"...

Yup, here too. It's the usability stuff (X/Y, global fx, easy dialing in etc.) that gets me going and wanting the II. I'm already very satisfied with the current amp sim tones.

I hope I don't see too many statements from beta testers etc. like "But now it really sounds for real". It'd feeding the trolls about statements made during the last years, if you understand what I mean.

Yup, here too. It's the usability stuff (X/Y, global fx, easy dialing in etc.) that gets me going and wanting the II. I'm already very satisfied with the current amp sim tones.

I hope I don't see too many statements from beta testers etc. like "But now it really sounds for real". It'd feeding the trolls about statements made during the last years, if you understand what I mean.

+inf.

I think something is wrong with the marketing strategy. That "now it really sounds real", "the Axe I is history", "real tone and feel to the next level", etc... just takes away some of the credibility Fractal Audio had until yesterday. The Axe I was supposed to sound and feel just like a real tube amp, it was impossible to find the difference, wasn't it? (it sounds and feels absolutely great for me, even better than yesterday...). This isn't Line 6, and IMHO shouldn't use the same marketing strategy. Anyway, good luck, Cliff, I'm sure the Axe II is an amazing machine. And please don't forget us, vintage Axe users :)

I think something is wrong with the marketing strategy. That "now it really sounds real", "the Axe I is history", "real tone and feel to the next level", etc... just takes away some of the credibility Fractal Audio had until yesterday. The Axe I was supposed to sound and feel just like a real tube amp, it was impossible to find the difference, wasn't it? (it sounds and feels absolutely great for me, even better than yesterday...). This isn't Line 6, and IMHO shouldn't use the same marketing strategy. Anyway, good luck, Cliff, I'm sure the Axe II is an amazing machine. And please don't forget us, vintage Axe users :)

You are quoting G66 stuff, not Fractal Audio stuff.

Remember that G66 is *not* Fractal Audio. Fractal didn't say that stuff. A distributor did.

A little off topic but directed at Scott : How are the tones for acoustic / classical and bass guitars ? As they were stunning on the Ultra. Looking forward to hearing tone tests soon !

"real tone and feel to the next level" are fractaladmin's (Cliff?) words http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii/35907-introducing-axe-fx-ii.html
G66 is (please correct me if I'm wrong) Fractal Audio's exclusive distributor in Europe, and they are using Line6-like strategy to sell the Axe II. Please don't misunderstand me, Scott, I'm very happy with my Ultra as it is and with the latest (great) firmware, I just think this kind of marketing goes against what Fractal Audio represents for me and (I'm sure) many other users, and it is unnecesary, the Axe II doesn't need that, it isn't Pod x3.

Back
Top Bottom