AxeFx II vs The Real Deal - an honest shootout

brianv4

Fractal Fanatic
For your entertainment... some valid points as well as some misunderstood, uninformed ones... f ex a used 5150 + mesa cab is way less the an axefx. correct BUT obviously the axe does WAY more than a 5150.

https://youtu.be/-EtxHlJ2FPo

Oh_no%2C_not_this_shit_again.jpg

I did like the Shirt, and his dislike for most modelers, but he was un Fair IMHO towards the Axe II which I find very bias and annoying. The Axe II is the best piece of gear IMHO for guitar to come along in the past 30 years. Not only that but Cliff keeps improving it, so what it was like in 2014 is nothing like it is now!!!

I haven't watched that video for a while, but I remember him kind of conceding that the axefx did sound like "the real deal" (5150) but that it was a very expensive alternative to the 5150, and that you might as well just buy a 5150. I remember thinking that this would make sense if you only ever play the same style of metal, and the 5150 sound is all you ever use. In this case, the axefx2 capabilities would be wasted.

However, I think he missed the whole point of the axefx - a lot of professional musicians are called upon to be able to get all sorts of different sounds, and, with 200+ amps in there, the axefx represents incredible value.

I also remember he went on about how fractal should be ashamed of themselves for making the MFC-101 so expensive. This was his most uninformed opinion in the video, because there really is nothing else like the MFC-101 in the marketplace. (It's built like a tank, its incredibly easy to use, and has tight integration with the axefx, and if you have an XL, or XL+ , you can connect it up with a single ordinary old XLR cable, which. is really awesome )

I also disagree with what he said about sound guys not being able to handle a direct feed. Pretty much any sound guy I have come across loves it when you just hand them a direct line. Also, a lot of sound guys do a bad job of mic-ing up amps - often they don't even bother with a mic stand - they just dangle the microphone over the speaker, hanging by the lead, which doesn't sound good.

... anyway, the 5:1 like ratio on his video says a lot about how his video was received.

Years ago I had an original 5150 full stack. It was great for blowing out windows and ear drums and, yeah, it was pretty good for doing high gain, hard rock metal type stuff. That was about it. I had a pedal board full of various pedals to give the amp a lot more versatility. So if you're after a one trick pony, you can ride the 5150 all day long. If you'd like some variety, you'll either spend a buttload of money on pedals.....or just get an AxeFX.

The dude in the video is indeed misinformed.

This was posted already a long time ago.....

Glenn is not misinformed. He is addressing a certain style, a genre and age group.

Most of his audience are young, can't afford much and only need a one trick pony. He is demoing the unit for them, not the 40+ 100k a year family guy playing covers that span 50 years on weekends, or the wedding bands, or the blues jam guys... and especially not the pros...

My 21 year old son is in his target audience and what Glenn is saying is actually spot on. They play minimum 5 bands a night and it's just a loud metal show. All the guitar tones are the same pretty much. It's not so much about the tone as it is about the tightness and energy.

This was posted already a long time ago..... Glenn is not misinformed. He is addressing a certain style, a genre and age group. Most of his audience are young, can't afford much and only need a one trick pony. He is demoing the unit for them, not the 40+ 100k a year family guy playing covers that span 50 years on weekends, or the wedding bands, or the blues jam guys... and especially not the pros... My 21 year old son is in his target audience and what Glenn is saying is actually spot on. They play minimum 5 bands a night and it's just a loud metal show. All the guitar tones are the same pretty much. It's not so much about the tone as it is about the tightness and energy.
Yeah, fair enough - I can see it from that PoV, too.

Back
Top Bottom