Axefx II or Ax8 - advice required

John Egerton

Hi everyone,

I have the means to buy either an Ax8 or an Fx II (not XL) with the MFC and was hoping for a bit of advice.

Right now I'm not gigging and simply practicing/recording in a studio that I've built.

I know that if I ever did decide to gig again, I could simply buy some additional things to complement the Axefx and be ok. It would also complement my recording setup nicely at present.

On the other hand, I do like the simplicity that the ax8 brings, as a person that easily gets distracted by tweaking things. My initial thoughts were just to get the ax8, dial in a few presets and use the spdif out to record. Simple.

In terms of presets, as I'm new to fractal I have never previously been exposed to the unlimited potential of the rack units and so I guess I would learn to use the more limited features of the ax8. I'd think of that as enforced discipline.

On the other hand, how easy do you feel the rack unit is to use? Is it tempting to go overboard with your tweaking? is there a learning curve?

I know to some of you this post might seem a little dumb, but I've been thinking about this decision for weeks now and still can't seem to make my mind up.

I guess what I'm looking for is something. That inspires me to play and is a joy to use. But I don't know enough about the rack unit to know whether or not it would suit my workflow over something simple like the AX8.

Any advice you can give me would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

John

First: welcome on the forum.

Second: you only can buy the Axe-Fx II XL+, all other Axe-Fx II models (Mk1, Mk2, XL) are not available anymore.

IMHO I would advise to go for the Axe-Fx II:

Both have an excellent editor. You can go as deep as you want on the Axe-Fx II, but also on the AX-8 (which has 99% of the advanced parameters AFAIK).

Axe-Fx II has the advantage that it can be built in a rack, which probably is better suited in a studio.

Personally I find editing on the hardware more intuitive on the Axe-Fx II then on the AX-8, probably because I'm using Axe-Fx products since 2007 (Axe-Fx, Ultra, II) which had roughly the same workflow over the years. The AX-8 has fewer buttons to navigate and several buttons have 2 functions. OTOH making changes on the basic AMP parameters is simpler and much better on the AX-8.

I had the same dillema, but went with the AxeFX (as I could get a good deal on one)

For basic sounds, I'd say there is no difference between the two, as they share the same amp and cab library. Basic effects are the same.
Of course, the AxeFX is better suited for more complex virtual rigs.

The AxeFX is easy to use (disclaimer: I had an Ultra before) IMHO, especially combined with AxeEdit. If you can make a signal chain on a pedalboard, you can make one on the AxeFX. Bonus: complex serial/parralel routings are at your fingertips, but you don't have to go there). Of course there is some learning curve, but that's the same with every new piece of equipment.

The same goes for the advanced settings/deep tweaking. You CAN, but you don't HAVE TO to get great sounds. I have several presets that I use where I just get an Amp block and a Cab block and leave it as it...no tweaking.

If money is not an issue, I'd get the AxeFX. it offers more possibilities

Many thanks guys, your advice is much appreciated.

With regards to what I'll be buying, I should have clarified, I can get a good deal on a used Axefx II. It's not the xl+

Does this alter any of the opinions you've mentioned above, is the Axefx still preferable in this case?

Thanks again,

John

G'day John,

If it was me, I'd be strongly looking at the Axe FX - mainly because of the extra grunt it has. You never know when you'll want another cab, or whatever and with the Axe FX you'll have more available. As far as distractions go - IMHO both will provide years worth! :)

Oh - and welcome!

Pauly

Hi everyone,

I have the means to buy either an Ax8 or an Fx II (not XL) with the MFC and was hoping for a bit of advice.

Right now I'm not gigging and simply practicing/recording in a studio that I've built.

I know that if I ever did decide to gig again, I could simply buy some additional things to complement the Axefx and be ok. It would also complement my recording setup nicely at present.

On the other hand, I do like the simplicity that the ax8 brings, as a person that easily gets distracted by tweaking things. My initial thoughts were just to get the ax8, dial in a few presets and use the spdif out to record. Simple.

In terms of presets, as I'm new to fractal I have never previously been exposed to the unlimited potential of the rack units and so I guess I would learn to use the more limited features of the ax8. I'd think of that as enforced discipline.

On the other hand, how easy do you feel the rack unit is to use? Is it tempting to go overboard with your tweaking? is there a learning curve?

I know to some of you this post might seem a little dumb, but I've been thinking about this decision for weeks now and still can't seem to make my mind up.

I guess what I'm looking for is something. That inspires me to play and is a joy to use. But I don't know enough about the rack unit to know whether or not it would suit my workflow over something simple like the AX8.

Any advice you can give me would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

John

If you could, find some one with these units. I am sure they would let you check them out. I would. Where are you located?

Personally, I don't use the front panel, however Axe-Edit makes using the unit a breeze. The learning curve is relatively small and once you know your way around Axe-Edit, it becomes second nature. As for tweaking, yes, I've definitely gone overboard many times.

G'day John,

If it was me, I'd be strongly looking at the Axe FX - mainly because of the extra grunt it has. You never know when you'll want another cab, or whatever and with the Axe FX you'll have more available. As far as distractions go - IMHO both will provide years worth! :)

Oh - and welcome!

Pauly
As for cabs, the AX8 has more user cab memory than the II.

I prefer the AX8, personally. I like having an all in one unit...it's just easier and more convenient. It does everything I need and more....

The AX8 isn't really any simpler than the Axe II as far as tweaking sounds go. The AX8 has 95% of the editing parameters that the Axe-Fx has. If you're going to be editing on a computer, the experience will be nearly identical for both units. If you edit on the units themselves, the Axe-Fx is a bit easier due to the extra navigation buttons. If your use is going to be mainly studio, I'd go for the Axe-Fx. The compromises made in the AX8 were made in order to benefit live performance. No reason to make those compromises in your situation, IMO. And if/when you get back into live performance, you'll just need a foot controller and you'll be ready to go.

Get the II if you can. The floor unit is NOT going to save you any tweaking and the interface on the rack unit is a bit better (opinion/hearsay) than the floor box. The rack unit can do more too. The only real advantage would be # of IR slots > on AX8 vs a Mki/II but not a big enough advantage to be worth it, IMHO. For primarily home use, rack all the way; would not even be a difficult call for me personally.

I bought a AX8 last month for live sounds but it had some short comings in the cab block lke no room parameters section and the mic preamp emulation. For me these are the finishing touches on my overall tone. I ended up returning it for the XL+
So I have one for direct and one for live.
Tone heaven

For what it's worth, I researched forever. I ended up with a new AXE FX2 XL+. For me there was noticeable advantages of owning the FX over the AX. And I wanted it all. I could have saved a little money going for a used Ebay one. But for the $100+, it was worth having a warranty. I also already had a foot controller with 2 expressions (My old ART X-15 with 2 expressions, works perfect).
This is just my opinion. There are many happy people out there with all versions of the Fractal Audio units.

If you have a good deal on the AxeFx II then I'd get that, especially since you aren't gigging right now. If there's still a waiting list for the AX8 then it may be a while before you can get one of those anyway.

Back
Top Bottom