AxeFX II Latency in Sonar 8.5 Producer. Help please.

nojyeloot

Experienced
System Specs:
AxeFX II (latest USB driver) ASIO selected.
Sonar 8.5 Producer
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
KRK Rokit 5"
AMD Phenom 8650 Triple-Core 2.3Ghz
6GB+ DDR2 RAM

Previously, I had a POD X3 with Sonar 8.5 Producer and had no noticeable lag. I've had it this way for years.

Got my AxeFX II and installed the driver and hooked it up (WHILE my POD X3 was on and IIRC, Sonar 8.5 Producer WAS running). This is when my trouble started

I tried to record some stuff, and noticed a really odd lag during play back, even though my sound card was still the POD X3 and I was running Guitar->AxeFX II->POD X3->KRK/Rokit & Win7 PC. There was also an odd and tiny hiccup when I would hit the record button after my 4 click count-in.

So, I took the POD X3 out of the equation (see image below) and still get a nasty lag.
signalpath.jpg

I looked at the "Audio" options in Sonar 8.5 Producer. I'm not able to adjust the "Buffer Size". I also saw that I had some "ASIO Reported Latency".
1.png

Can anyone help me get this setup with my AxeFX II as the soundcard?

Would ASIO4ALL fix this?

Last edited:
My USB panel only has ms (no safe option) in the USB streaming buffer size and ASIO buffer size - 16ms and 32 ms respectively. I'm on an older driver 1.29. It works fine. Try guitar in front and monitors to headphone jack as a test. Also, make sure software/input monitoring is off in Sonar as you are monitoring via the Axe.

Last edited:
Ahhh..I get it it was changed from ms to samples in the dialog box. So...1 ms at 48000 = 48 samples correct? 256 samples is about 5ms. Your original latency at 2048 samples was about 42 ms.

I have a quick question... I use PT9 on a macBook Pro. I am new to the Axe II and have been wondering how do we adjust the recording level when recording via USB? It seems strange to me that I would have to adjust the level on my amp or cab block to get a hot enough level to disc.

Also, has anyone else experience output 1 clipping from playback tracks in you mixing session? I have drum tracks that are causing clipping in the Axe. I don't hear it at all I just see the lED indicator lighting up on every kick and snare hit. I shouldn't have to lower my master fader at all. Don't ya think?

I'm confused. Sorry for hijacking this thread. I figured it's a somewhat similar issue since it's the Axe II and a DAW.

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

I have a quick question... I use PT9 on a macBook Pro. I am new to the Axe II and have been wondering how do we adjust the recording level when recording via USB? It seems strange to me that I would have to adjust the level on my amp or cab block to get a hot enough level to disc.

Also, has anyone else experience output 1 clipping from playback tracks in you mixing session? I have drum tracks that are causing clipping in the Axe. I don't hear it at all I just see the lED indicator lighting up on every kick and snare hit. I shouldn't have to lower my master fader at all. Don't ya think?

I'm confused. Sorry for hijacking this thread. I figured it's a somewhat similar issue since it's the Axe II and a DAW.

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

I'm getting the same in Presonus Studio One, plus a really bad latency problem. Studio One won't allow me to go down to the lowest buffer size because it says it will cause distortion, and the lowest buffer size I can go down to has unusable latency.
I can record fine if I turn off the button which lets you monitor the track as you record, but still...

My default levels out of the axe were -12 which I think is good cuz it's leaves you plenty of headroom.

I think the whole monitoring thing has to do with all of us just learning how to use the Axe II, since it is new, in the best way for recording. I suggest monitoring via the Axe II only. Personally, I never monitor via software. I always use a zero latency monitor like the Axe II, DUET II or Echo Gina. When I had the Ultra I used my DUET and DUET II to monitor. -Mike

I was able to change the buffer size to 256 and switch the "USB Streaming Mode" to "Low Latency" (2nd from the lowest latency).

13.png

I was playing/tracking at low volume last night, and thought I might have heard some pops/clicks, but be sure (could've been the placebo effect since we talked about it yesterday). Will play at higher volume this weekend to test. Either way, NOW, I don't have any noticeable latency.

11.png

Also, do I need to have this (64 bit double precision engine) checked and running? I assume it'll take up more RAM (of which I have in plenty) and improve performance since I'm running 64 bit. Or is it something else?

12.png

Thank you guys for your help

Back
Top Bottom