AxeFX II & Ground Control Pro. Instant Access buttons (XMIT W/PRSET) light problem!

nojyeloot

Experienced
Hey guys,

I have watched MANY a youtube video (the most useful one: GCP and AXE-FX Basic Setup - YouTube), and read MANY forum Q&A's, and still haven't found "quite" what I need to know. Here's what I got:

WHAT I'VE DONE/CONFIGURED: AxeFX II & Ground Control Pro (GCP). My GCP is set up as 4 Presets/Bank with 8 Instant Access (IA) buttons up top each set to "XMIT W/PRSET". No big whoop right? For each of those IA buttons, I have an effect in my AxeFX II (Drive, Chorus, Verb, etc.) already programmed with the proper fashion, just like a bunch of guys have done. Yes, they function in turning the effect ON and OFF, I've set that up properly in the AxeFX II's I/O "CTRL" tab, it was easy enough (I made my GCP's IA buttons "learn" each effect [ex: "DRV BYP" for the Drive]).

MY PROBLEM: To make things simpler let's say I only have 2 patches. Patch ONE is identical to patch TWO. The only difference is that patch TWO has a Drive and Delay turned ON/enabled, whereas patch ONE has a Drive and Delay turned OFF/disabled. When I'm on patch ONE, my IA button for Drive and Delay is turned off. Well, what is bugging me is that when I switch to patch TWO, even though my Drive and Delay are by default ON/enabled in my AxeFX II, the light on my GCP is turned off.

MAIN IDEA: The lights on the GCP's IA buttons don't reflect the active settings. I would LOVE it if someone could help me setup my GCP so that when I move patch by patch the IA buttons that control my effects in the patch would automatically light up so that I know what's ON and what's OFF. As it is now, none of my IA buttons are lit up unless I press them, so, when I'm on stage I can't visually see whether I've just turned something ON or OFF. Hopefully I'm missing something simple... my buddy's GCP/Ultra was set up in the way I'm wanting to set mine up.

PS - Do I need to instead configure these IAs like the AxeFX II manual says on page 126 on article 7.3.7?

Last edited:
7.3.7 does not apply to your situation.

1. I would make sure your II is at factory settings for the Control page.

2. Then in your GCP set each IA button to control whatever effect block you desire.

3. Then turn on the IA's you want for a given preset.

3. Press the top right button on your GCP (Edit button IIRC).

4. Press it again. To exit.

5. Press Yes to save the changes.

6. Repeat for all presets.

Once this is done the IA states will be saved in your GCP.

You'll also need to make sure that yor GCP is transmitting CC's with your preset change. For this you must enter setup mode.

1. Press the two edit buttons. Top left and top right buttons.

2. Press Instant Access

3. Use cursor > until you see 'Normal', 'X-MIT w/preset'. You want it to X-MIT with your preset.

You'll also need to setup you Device Name and Channel. Axe II defaults to MIDI ch1. Leave it there. Set your GCP for 1 and name device 1 Axe-FX II.

From there you can tell each preset on your GCP to call up whatever preset on your Axe II by entering edit preset mode. You'll see Axe-FX II there and the PC number. Set the PC to whatever preset you wish.

From there you should be golden. GCP is a nice easy to use controller. I had one for about 6 years before my LFP.

Let me know how it works.

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

You'll also need to make sure that yor GCP is transmitting CC's with your preset change.

From there you can tell each preset on your GCP to call up whatever preset on your Axe II by entering edit preset mode. You'll see Axe-FX II there and the PC number. Set the PC to whatever preset you wish.

THIS is exactly what I needed to hear. I've done all the other steps already. Thanks man. I'll try this first thing when I get to the house. I knew I was missing a little something. :)

OK, I've entered preset mode for my first patch, but my only options in there are to 1) name my device & choose the number, 2) name the preset & 3) save to number.

>>How do I select which IA I want to reflect the active settings in this mode?

PLEASE DISREGARD THE QUESTION LOL. Just figured it out!

For those reading this and want to know: 1) Simply select the patch you want, 2) select which IAs you want my pressing the appropriate pedal so the light turns ON, 3) hold down the EDIT button & 4) press the EDIT button again then press +/YES to accept the changes.

Thanks shotgunn for all your MUCH appreciated help!

No problem man. I was just going to say what you just figured out. Enjoy!

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

I know this post is super old, but I have an Ultra that I'm trying to program this pedal board with. I can't find many instructions for the ultra. But what I'm running into is that when I set my instant access for say, my tuner, to 1, and then I select 2 and input my number for say, chorus, patch one will no longer work. What am I doing wrong? Can anyone help me here? This post mentioned a friend who had his working with the ultra. I can't get mine to work right. It seems straight forward, but the eight buttons will only take one program at a time, so I can't turn multiple things off and on. I"m confused. Thanks for any help you can give.

Back
Top Bottom