AxeFX External pedal not talking through MFC

stink

Experienced
My new AxeFX II XL+ and MFC-101 MK III arrived recently and I'm trying to connect a SP-1 expression pedal. Today was the first chance I had to try it out and I can't get it to do anything.

I have a TRS cable connected from the Expression jack to Pedal 1 on the back of the Axe.

In The I/o menu there is a place were you set external 1 to pedal instead of a CC# so the pedal jack could operate external 1. This step was verified

I went into the Pedal page on I/O menu and went through the calibration as specified in the manual. Worked fine

I added a Wah block to a patch and right clicked on the Wah control. On the pop up box I selected External 1 as the source as I thought that would be pedal 1. The wah works great while connected to the AxeFX II but when I connect it to the MFC, I get nothing. Non functioning at all

I also tried a Volume block and I tried assigning the Gain parameter to it. Nothing when connected to the MFC, But it DOES work when connected directly to the AxeFX.

I feel like I am missing something really obvious. Any suggestions?

Go through all the external numbers. I seem to recall in my mind's eye thinking it's 1 when it's actually 4 in the list, but I haven't messed with it in a long time.
Also, is the Axe-FX following other MFC commands? Do you have it in the correct mode based on the connection type (MIDI and AC power vs CAT5 or FASLINK).

Also, I did everything in MFC Edit and Axe-Edit, so there might be some variability there.

In The I/o menu there is a place were you set external 1 to pedal instead of a CC# so the pedal jack could operate external 1. This step was verified

Did you change this back to a CC# when connecting the pedal to the MFC? "Pedal 1" and "Pedal 2" only refer to the pedal jacks on the back of the Axe-FX.

If you set Ext Ctrl 1 to the default of CC#16 it will respond to a default-settings MFC's XP2 port, IIRC. That's just because the default setting for XP2 is CC#16. Any XP port can be configured to send the CC# for any Ext Ctrl if desired.

Go through all the external numbers. I seem to recall in my mind's eye thinking it's 1 when it's actually 4 in the list, but I haven't messed with it in a long time.

On the MFC or the Axe? In the MFC it was set to 1 (I think). In the Axe it was set to 16 and I changed it to pedal/

Also, is the Axe-FX following other MFC commands? Do you have it in the correct mode based on the connection type (MIDI and AC power vs CAT5 or FASLINK).
MFC edit responds perfectly to all commands except the expression pedal. Transmits all data, names, and IA's work great. It's set for an XL+ using FASLINK.

Did you setup the expression pedal in the MFC's menu and calibrate it?
Yes. Calibrated just fine with BOTH the MFC ( I was able to watch it change values) AND the XL+. It's just that when it's connected to the external 1 port, once calibrated, it won't respond. Responds just fine when connected to the XL+ solo.

Did you change this back to a CC# when connecting the pedal to the MFC? "Pedal 1" and "Pedal 2" only refer to the pedal jacks on the back of the Axe-FX.

If you set Ext Ctrl 1 to the default of CC#16 it will respond to a default-settings MFC's XP2 port, IIRC. That's just because the default setting for XP2 is CC#16. Any XP port can be configured to send the CC# for any Ext Ctrl if desired.
Left this at default value first, couldn't get it to work either but I'll try again tonight. Like I said, I'm sure it's something basic I simply overlooked.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Yeah set External Controller 1 back to it's default of CC#16 in the Axe's I/O menu. Plug your pedal into expression jack 1 on the MFC and set XP1 to use CC#16 as well in the MFC's MIDI menu.

It should look like "XP1 #016 Ch01 BegPDL".

You can then calibrate it in the MFC's Setup menu.

Yeah set External Controller 1 back to it's default of CC#16 in the Axe's I/O menu. Plug your pedal into expression jack 1 on the MFC and set XP1 to use CC#16 as well in the MFC's MIDI menu.

Perfect! I'll give this a shot tonight when I get home. Thank you kindly for your help sir!

Bingo! Thank you for your help, much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom