AxeFx -> AudioInterface -> MacBook Pro -> Bluetooth headphones

chucma

Fractal Fanatic
Calling all Mac gurus for help please!

Does anyone know if this is possible? I want to use my new wireless headphones when practicing at home with my AFX. Basically my setup is AxeFX -> Focusrite PRO24 -> MacBook Pro (using SPDIF). I can also just go AxeFx -> MacBook Pro (using USB).

So I have paired my MBP with my bluetooth headphones, and if I play mp3s on my MBP then that works perfectly. Now I want my AxeFx signal to come through to the headphones as well but haven't been able to get this to work.

Can anyone offer some words of wisdom for me please?

Thanks a mil!

Most likely, the latency of Bluetooth will make this challenging, at best. Good luck, though.

That's the part I haven't been able to test yet, I am worried there will be some latency but I thought I'd give it a bash and see how bad it is anyway.

That does work fine for a Mac and a bluetooth headphone setup (used it for years). But the Axe-fx doesn't have Bluetooth. So, my guess is that you'll need some other interface. The issue, as @bradlake stated, would be latency.

You may have to create an Aggregate Device with the Focusrite as inPut. And the BT phones as output. This is done in Audio Midi utility. And then select the Aggregate in Sound Prefs.

So, my guess is that you'll need some other interface.

Yes, in my OP I mention the Focusrite PRO24 is my interface, but this is audio only and also doesn't have bluetooth. To be fair, this is me just being lazy so that I can avoid having annoying headphone cables.

You may have to create an Aggregate Device with the Focusrite as inPut. And the BT phones as output. This is done in Audio Midi utility. And then select the Aggregate in Sound Prefs.

I've tried that but unfortunately am not an expert. Is it simply a case of creating the Aggregate device and adding multiple devices to that?

When I did it I tried to use the Aggregate in Cubase I saw very few IN and OUT ports - I'm suspecting that there might be another issue with allowing multiple sample rates on one Aggregate device.

I started to mess around with my setup,to see if could make it happen with a Bluetooth speaker, but without success (Ax-8>Apollo 8>iMac ). I don't have access to my XL, so I can't test this, but maybe if you went direct USB with your AxeFX you might have luck but I sorta doubt it....

I've tried that but unfortunately am not an expert. Is it simply a case of creating the Aggregate device and adding multiple devices to that?

When I did it I tried to use the Aggregate in Cubase I saw very few IN and OUT ports - I'm suspecting that there might be another issue with allowing multiple sample rates on one Aggregate device.
Hey @chucma , I made an update to my Mac just now that may be a solution for you. the new version of Airfoil www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil makes it easier to use Bluetooth stuff with your mac and audio gear..highly recommend you check it out, tho it may not be the solution to latency...

Hey @chucma , I made an update to my Mac just now that may be a solution for you. the new version of Airfoil www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil makes it easier to use Bluetooth stuff with your mac and audio gear..highly recommend you check it out, tho it may not be the solution to latency...

well, yeah it does work , and yeah, the latency for me is at least 1 second which makes it pretty useless for me...the Airfoil app itself is awesome, however

Wow, good find @bradlake! I'm downloading Airfoil now and will give it a go, although will probably end up with the same 1sec latency as you have but worth trying!

Thanks a mil!

Wow, good find @bradlake! I'm downloading Airfoil now and will give it a go, although will probably end up with the same 1sec latency as you have but worth trying!

Thanks a mil!
Cheers. I've been using their products for many years, their Audio Hijack app is by far the superior choice for recording audio from apps and system .

You can have separate devices for input & output without aggregating. Just select the device in Logic audio prefs. I often use my AxeFx USB as input and my interface for output.

Back
Top Bottom