AxeFX as preamp for a bass rig

mtmartin71

Experienced
I think I'm going to take on an originals gig as a bassist. It actually felt very fun to play bass again. Is anyone using their AxeFX successfully as a preamp for the stage? I'm thinking I'd need a power amp (500W or better?) and probably pair it with a 4x10. Of course the other option is to get a head and cab and keep things simple. I'm playing a G&L L2000 (4-String). Pretty similar to a P-Bass.

Ideally, an amp that would work for guitar as well would give me the best set up. I'm using an Atomic Mono Block (50W tube) if I do the power amp/cab set up. Mostly I play direct with guitar in my cover band though.

I believe Nolly from Periphery uses an axefx 2 as a preamp in his bass rig with a Matrix poweramp into a 410. That power amp would work great for guitar as well...

I use the Axe all the time as a bass amp, and with the new amps in the latest firmware, it's even better yet. I usually just run direct into the PA, or bring a small active PA wedge. Having a power amp and bass cab would be more authentic, but if you're already comfortable with going direct for guitar, then bass won't be any different.

yes. works great! I've been using the AxeFx for bass for many years, mostly live performance in hard rock/metal bands. Give your 4x10 ample solid state power and you're good to go.

Good to know. I need to get my own poweramp for my MKII bc right now I use my guitarist's. I'm thinking it would be nice to backline mostly so we don't have to move so much F-ing gear. We run 1 8 string guitar and 1 7 string bass in our band. It would be nice to be able to just plug both into the fractal and go FOH. Then have a stereo poweramp with enough juice for guitar and particularly bass for our practice room and for small venues where we may need to run into other people's guitar/bass cabs.

Anyone had success running a guitar and bass through your unit live? Should I just run each one through the grid mono and then have one output to hard right and one output hard left for foh and same idea if we also hook up to power amps and cabs simultaneously?

I have some buddies in the band Entrails Eradicated and they ran both guitars through their ultra on their tour and it sounded good. They went FOH and then ran the guitars into cabs from the other bands on the tour.

yes. works great! I've been using the AxeFx for bass for many years, mostly live performance in hard rock/metal bands. Give your 4x10 ample solid state power and you're good to go.

What am I looking at for ample solid state power needed on stage for a bass rig?

I use the Axe all the time as a bass amp, and with the new amps in the latest firmware, it's even better yet. I usually just run direct into the PA, or bring a small active PA wedge. Having a power amp and bass cab would be more authentic, but if you're already comfortable with going direct for guitar, then bass won't be any different.

Problem would be if you have a crappy PA. I tried running the Orange AD200 sim through a bass IR to my Atomic CLR in backline mode and the rehearsal was pretty loud. The guys kept telling me to turn up. I was about 60% on the Axe Output 2 and 70% on the CLR master. But, I would like to do the same thing I do with guitar if possible.

I also have just got a gig on bass. I have an axe Fx II and a mesa 2:90. I was thinking I could use this with a 4x10 for stage level and DI out to FOH. Sound reasonable?

I also have just got a gig on bass. I have an axe Fx II and a mesa 2:90. I was thinking I could use this with a 4x10 for stage level and DI out to FOH. Sound reasonable?

Your signal path should be without cab sims to your stage rig, and a split feed with cab sims or alternate compensating EQ sent to FOH. It's worth a try.

I power my 8x10 SVT cab with a Crown xti 4002 in bridge mono at 4 ohms. This chart says 3200 watts:

XTi 2 Series

It depends on how much power your cab can handle.

What about the Matrix GT1000 1U at 1000W bridged? 3200 seems like overkill for me but I wouldn't be using a 8x10 either. 4x10 at the most and maybe smaller for smaller venues. I'm thinking the GT1000 could replace my Atomic 50W Mono Block as well for the times I need to power my guitar rig through an amp/cab set up. Anyone using the GT1000 for bass amplification? Plenty enough juice for the stage?

What about the Matrix GT1000 1U at 1000W bridged? 3200 seems like overkill for me but I wouldn't be using a 8x10 either. 4x10 at the most and maybe smaller for smaller venues. I'm thinking the GT1000 could replace my Atomic 50W Mono Block as well for the times I need to power my guitar rig through an amp/cab set up. Anyone using the GT1000 for bass amplification? Plenty enough juice for the stage?

should work fine. matrix spec lists 8 ohm and 16 ohm load for bridge mono. So, I'm guessing you have an 8 ohm cab?

should work fine. matrix spec lists 8 ohm and 16 ohm load for bridge mono. So, I'm guessing you have an 8 ohm cab?

Yeah...that's what I was noticing too. Seems like a lot of bass cabs are 4 ohm? My guitar cab is 8 ohm so no problem there.

Back
Top Bottom