AXEFX and Steinberger (pickups question)

I have a STEINBERGER GM PRO with EMG pickups loaded.

The EMGs used to sound awesome through my Mesa Boogie but sound atrocious through my Bogner Ubershall. The Bogner is a far more dynamic amp that really responds to passive pickups beautifully (unfortunately the same can NOT be said for the AxeFX implementation of the Uberschall which is a one dimensional terrible sound that is nothing like the original). Ahem.

I guess my question is - what do people think of EMGs with the AXEFX? I find them okay but, again, prefer the passives. Based on this I am looking at putting new pickups in the Steinberger.

I am thinking of loading it with BARE KNUCKLEs based on some things Paul and Tymon from Cynic said when on tour. Anyone tried this? Any thoughts on the sound?

Steve.

stein2.JPG

Sweet guitar!

I don't have a 'Berger yet, but I'm having a TransTrem 2 equipped GM copy built by Paul at Fretsong Guitars that should be getting finished up shortly. It'll have an SA in the neck and 85 in the bridge (no middle pickup), so I'll have to see how it compares to my other guitars which are all passive.

Otherwise, I've only heard EMG's in, uh... well... more "traditonal" instruments, and thought they sounded pretty good.

I will say, when I saw Cynic last month, Paul's GR with the passives sounded better than his EMG equipped GM he played during the Focus material. But isn't Tymon still using the stock EMG's in his GM? I know I've seen him post here, maybe he'll chime in? I thought his lead tones were fantastic that night whatever his guitar has in it! I absolutely loved "I'm But a Wave To..." and "Wheels Within Wheels" at that show :cool: .

Hopefully there's some other folks playing 'Bergers that can share their experiences... It'd cool to hear!

Well, I have been using EMG's (courtesy of my 2 Music Man Luke's) along with the Axe-Fx for over a year now.

The Luke I has SA/SA/85 and the Luke II has SLV/SLV/85. To me, both sound totally awsome. Loads of clarity & warmth, and they cut through FX laden presets no problem. Compared to the passive single coils in my US standard Tele, the EMG's win every time.
The SA's are more clear and punchy, and the SLV's have a warm overwound 'vintage' type sound.

Nice looking steinberger by the way :cool:

I play Steinbergers - a GM-7T with the stock 89/SA/89R (except that I swapped the neck and bridge pickups, the R in the bridge position does a better single coil tone) and a GM-4T with an 81TWR/S/S. Both have SPCs in place of the bass/treble controls.

They don't sound exactly like passive pickups, but they sound good and they are quiet with excellent signal to noise. I made a decision a long time ago that I'd play guitars that fit me well ergonomically and incorporate the way they sounded into what I want to hear.

I do dig EMGs with the Axe-FX. My main Stein is still equipped with EMGs and I've been getting into some really raw and awesome tones lately. Love the Bogner (euro red) and Trainwreck (wrecker) sims for heavy stuff and the USA clean sim is my go-to for clean sounds. Bare Knuckles are awesome as well. The trick with EMGs though is to not place them 2 mm from the strings like suggested because that way the internal preamp clips like crazy. Just put them down like normal pickups, this way the output is not really hot but who cares? It sounds a ton better and actually has some character to it.

edit: Just saw it's you Steve, cool, I didn't know you had such a sweet looking Stein! Wow.

Wow, good to see you posting again! Cynic sounded great in Toronto, despite the muddy sound of the particular club.

What do you and Paul think of the new Steinburgers compared to the classics? I'm new to them, and just when I find out the main idea of them is a solid graphite neck, I see the newest incarnation is a lot more traditional, although it has the version 2 trans-trem.

Quite simply, I have no idea which models to look for in the used shops - which ones are the good ones?

To the original poster, give the newer EMG X series a try. They really are more dynamic! Also, try something other than the 81 in the bridge, maybe the 85 or 89R as others have mentioned.

My favorite neck pickup is actually the EMG 60A. Brighter, warmer, and hotter than the usual 85 in that position, it has a lot more clarity in the lows as well.

Hi All, thanks for the pointers above I will consider all options at this point. Honestly I loved the EMGs and the Mesa but with the Bogner (real amps not AFX) it is just not good.

If anyone wants to hear this guitar check out the below link. All songs except 360 are recorded on the Steinberger through a Mesa Boogie Dual Rec (which has since been sold and replaced by the Uberschall).

http://www.myspace.com/steveturnersolo

Tymon - yeah my GMPRO is a 1996 I think. I bought it second hand and had eight different Steinbergers to choose from at a local shop (the guy collects them). I chose this red burst GMPRO because it played/felt/sounded the best by far then had to prize it out of the owners hands so he would sell it to me ;) That was the guitar I used for EVERYTHING on the CD you heard way back when. I will try lowering the EMGs a bit to get a bit more character in the tone as you say. I think maybe the Bogner which has a LOT of gain will maybe like the less hot output more.

Regards the AxeFX - I really like the USA CLEAN as well but for my lead tones I am using the CA3+ LD. I will have a stab at the EURO RED again but do remember good things about it.

Steve.

Back
Top Bottom