AxeFX and 8" monitor??

pat6969

Inspired
Has anyone had any luck with using an 8 inch powered monitor with their AxeFX setup in a live situation? I'm using a 12" EV right now and am pleased with how it sounds but I am getting older and trying to downsize everything. I'm headed in the direction of an AX8 to do away with the rack so I thought I'd explore a smaller monitor as well.

I think if you are careful about the low end especially, usually should be anyway as guitarists, you'd be surprised at how good some smaller powered speakers can sound. Try a Yamaha DXR10 for one. I have not tried any 8" monitors outside the studio. You will definitely not have the pants legs flapping feel of larger speakers.

Last edited:
I was surprised of the AxeFx2 tone over a pair of DB technologies FLEXYS FM8 . Enough bottom end in a small room gig .

I use an FBT Verve 8ma at church. Been using it for 5 or 6 years. It sounds great, and the low end is there, but it's not going to vibrate your pants like a cranked up 4x12, lol.

It's fine for monitoring with electronic drums but sounds small and gets lost with acoustic drums and another guitarist, especially if you are playing with another guitar player using a fairly loud amp. If you have a second guitarist using a similar setup, it would probably be fine. So, I'd say it depends on your situation.

I picked up a Mackie DLM8 on sale, and it works pretty well as a smaller rig than my CLRs. It has kept up with another (loud) guitar player, keys, drums, etc.

Looking forward to using it with an AX8 for a min-Fractal rig.

TT

I was surprised of the AxeFx2 tone over a pair of DB technologies FLEXYS FM8 . Enough bottom end in a small room gig .
I use those, two of them. Surprising bottom end for such small speakers. Treble leaves a bit too be desired for my taste, I like a bit more. It has a contour tone control, but I'd have preferred treble and bass knobs. i use the second outputs and global eq, turning the bottom down (!?!) and 4 and 8 kHz up.
We're a p&w band so usually we don't get too loud, but I'm sure I haven't nearly opened it up as loud as it can go. Our keyboardist has them too. He needs to turn down...
Not enough headroom for vocals, though. It starts to feedback before they get loud enough.

Delightfully small and portable, though. Had to schlepp my 12s a couple of weeks ago and they were hea-vy!

I used a QSC K8 - The bass boost (can't remember the name of the switch) switch made all the difference for me. Sounded good.

Another vote for the Mackie DLM8. Small, light, relatively cheap, loud, and sounds pretty good. Not the absolute best...lower your expectations a little and you may be very happy.

I use KRK VXT8s. They're loud as hell, I never turn them past 2 w/ the axe on 1/4 volume. Not sure how they would handle in the live situation but I mean they're 180 watts each with a built in woofer in each.

I had lots of axe fun with a 10"
10" is the perfect point for tired backs and 82.4069 hz orgasms
Yamaha DXR10 is a good choice, I have the cheap version, Yamaha MSR250

29673.jpg

People with 8" stuff: are you playing it live or at home? the OP wants a monitor for live use, I think 8" lacks bass for live with your drummer getting out his frustration right behind you, but at house in a little/medium room is fine.
Pat6969: If you go FOH you can consider in-ear monitoring, you know: older but wiser...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom