AxeFx 2 XL+ unity gain question

Billbill

Power User
Hi guys. Quick couple of dumb questions here about unity gain in my machine. It's my understanding that unity gain is what's coming in is equal to what is coming out.
1- Is this concept based on the overall in/out of the machine itself like a global thing or is unity gain something that's established on a patch by patch basis?
2- How do I know if I'm at a proper unity gain? I'm thinking it's the horizontal level meters in the menu should be hitting at 0bd when playing and if so is that it?
3- What does this have to do with "tickling the red" on the LED's?
Thanks and sorry I'm kind of relearning my machine only had a maybe a year to learn then had to put it away for a year:(

Hi guys. Quick couple of dumb questions here about unity gain in my machine. It's my understanding that unity gain is what's coming in is equal to what is coming out.
1- Is this concept based on the overall in/out of the machine itself like a global thing or is unity gain something that's established on a patch by patch basis?
2- How do I know if I'm at a proper unity gain? I'm thinking it's the horizontal level meters in the menu should be hitting at 0bd when playing and if so is that it?
3- What does this have to do with "tickling the red" on the LED's?
Thanks and sorry I'm kind of relearning my machine only had a maybe a year to learn then had to put it away for a year:(
Unity gain isn’t a goal necessarily. It just means what goes in is the same level that comes out. With full modeling presets including amp blocks, you are typically louder than unity gain, and that’s fine, because you just send a signal to the next device like any other device.

Unity gain isn’t better or worse. It’s desirable in certain situations like the 4 cable method.

Leveling your presets to not clip isn’t unity gain and again that’s fine.

That's an interesting question since it has been said for 4 cable method you could push volume to 100% and be unity gain, but it depends of what is before the first output, I guess a pushed amp will be hotter than a real one's effect loop ?

Unity gain isn’t a goal necessarily. It just means what goes in is the same level that comes out. With full modeling presets including amp blocks, you are typically louder than unity gain, and that’s fine, because you just send a signal to the next device like any other device.

Unity gain isn’t better or worse. It’s desirable in certain situations like the 4 cable method.

Leveling your presets to not clip isn’t unity gain and again that’s fine.
Copy that thanks

Back
Top Bottom