AxeFx 2 XL+ on board tuner

Billbill

Power User
Is the axe tuner reliable? I know every tuner, digital or analog, requires u to get to know it and get a feel for its sweet spot. I also seen a ton of guys using external analog pedals next to their MFCs for some reason. Is the axe tuner tweakable? What's the general consensus on it??

Is the axe tuner reliable? I know every tuner, digital or analog, requires u to get to know it and get a feel for its sweet spot. I also seen a ton of guys using external analog pedals next to their MFCs for some reason. Is the axe tuner tweakable? What's the general consensus on it??
I love the tuner and it's very accurate. I don't like it on the MFC or Axe-Edit but on the Axe-Fx II and the Ax8 units themselves it's great.

Fractal's tuner is reliable and wicked accurate.

As for your other question, define "tweakable."

I use the tuner on the MFC or the Axe (If the stage is small enough for me to be near it). I find either accurate enough for stage work. When recording, I use my trusty old Korg rack tuner. It is extremely accurate.

It seems fine. live I use the tuner on the axe through the RJM, backstage i have a Peterson strobe hd thingy.

Never had a problem with the MFC or Axe tuners.. not in the last 5+ yrs anyway.
The MFC was temperamental at times during the earlier released models, but works fine for me now (Mk3/XL).
Is it quick? No, but if one is tuning during a song, perhaps heavier strings are needed ??

I've never really figured out whether to tune to the initial pluck of the string (when it's sharp) or let it ring out (will go flat), what do you guys do? I think some string manufacturers suffer more from the sharp->flat phenomenon than others, but I could be wrong.

I've never really figured out whether to tune to the initial pluck of the string (when it's sharp) or let it ring out (will go flat), what do you guys do?
Let it ring out. That's the string's true pitch. Otherwise, you'll be flat.

I think some string manufacturers suffer more from the sharp->flat phenomenon than others, but I could be wrong.
Strings that are thinner or are under less tension will do it more than thicker strings under tighter tension.

I've never really figured out whether to tune to the initial pluck of the string (when it's sharp) or let it ring out (will go flat), what do you guys do? I think some string manufacturers suffer more from the sharp->flat phenomenon than others, but I could be wrong.

I tune my low e when dropped to D a little flat, because I hit it pretty hard, it pulls it back into tune while playing. this is unrelated to the string choice IMHO, at least in my situation.

MFC all the way. I also have a good old Korg rack tuner in my rack but I find the MFC display does the business, so I don't really use the rack tuner anymore. I am using the sweetened tuning on the Axe too, not that it's noticeable.

The front panel tuner is accurate (I don't have an MFC). Love the moving balls. I just have a hard time seeing it from more than a couple of feet away because of my bad eyes, so I mostly use it in the studio. Also I just prefer using a pedal for stage tuning. Also have some clip tuners for various situations.

I tune my low e when dropped to D a little flat, because I hit it pretty hard, it pulls it back into tune while playing. this is unrelated to the string choice IMHO, at least in my situation.
Just don't hold any notes for more than a quarter note. :)

Back
Top Bottom