• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

AxeEdit Wishlist IR Friendly Poll & NEW INTERFACE!

Would you like AxeEdit be more IR Friendly?

• Oh yeah baby, count me in.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

VirgilGuitar

Inspired
I realize I have posted the SAME thing already, however, after some deeper thought and gallons of coffee, I have come up with a BETTER, GREATER, ASTOUNDING IDEA (Well, in my own mind, which is quite limited) and wanted to put this "Better" example of what would be cool for the Axe-FX to make it more "User IR Friendly" and this time, there is not much to say.... simply look at the following screen... I promise to put anymore ideas I come up with JUST on this thread, I just felt I needed something a bit more... user friendly. Also please read everyone's thoughts on this old thread if you get a chance:
http://www.fractalaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=20187

Here we go... are you ready?

VirgilGuitar

Inspired
Think how easy it would be to compare IR's with each other with an interface like this - changing mics, mic positions etc. on the fly.

I have only owned my Ultra model for a few weeks now and my favorite thing about this unit is the killer tones from just the amps and cabs... I hardly use FX like I used to and I really want to buy Cliff a pizza or something. I am also getting into IR's and would love to see an easier way to listen/compare IR's with each other. As stated in my previous thread, If we could have these IR's automatically load whenever we saved a patch, we wouldn't have to guess what IR's are loaded in the "User 1 - 10 " thingy that's in there now. I got mad a couple of times because I have no idea as to what user IR's are in there the last time I loaded something up. It's like trying to remember what I bought at the grocery store 5 months ago.

shasha

Fractal Fanatic
Yes, this would in fact be the only thing that I think is lacking with Axe-Edit. And as closely linked as Redwirez is to Axe-FX I would probably go ahead and buy the entire set if I knew it would be this easy to get through. Right now the only thing preventing me from pulling the trigger is that I can't keep track of just 20 cabs without screwing it up. :oops:

gittarzann

Forum Addict
That looks great!

I don't see any menu on the GUI for more than 1 bank of User IR's. I think just being able to have 10 UIR's is too limiting.

I don't know how many banks would be appropriate..but more than 1 for sure.

VirgilGuitar

Inspired
gittarzann said:
That looks great!

I don't see any menu on the GUI for more than 1 bank of User IR's. I think just being able to have 10 UIR's is too limiting.

I don't know how many banks would be appropriate..but more than 1 for sure.
My thoughts on this "add on" would be that we would be limited to 8 IR's per patch - so you can have 2 amps breaking out to 2 cabs(each amp) and both of them would have stereo capabilities -as you notice in my graphic, I actually made an "IR Block", which would be used in place of a Cab block. Although they would have showing the same 8 IR's on each block, you would be able to simply be able to active any IR on any block. It probably would need a bit of tweaking (More than my screenshot is showing) to identify if it is a STEREO block(As opposed to the "Mono Hires" that is on my sample.

The neat part is, that as soon as you set up the patch and save it, whenever you open that particular patch, it would simply load the IR's that you used on THAT patch, without having to go dig everything up again.

If the AxeFX developers had a protocol for all 3rd party vendors for their IR's, which could possibly be done simply with a standard naming function this could work. And for any vendors that may not have let's say a "Mic Placement" detail to a particular IR, it would simply show up in the interface as "N/A".

This is my 3rd effects processor that has a windows interface and nobody seems to have a "Notes Section" with the interface. Even if they didn't do this IR friendly mod, it would still be trick to somehow put a notes section in here.... I am constantly naming my patches for my guitars, but sometimes I'll get to the point of selecting certain pups, rolling back on the treble, etc. for certain patches, WHICH guitar, yada yada.

Software should be user friendly in the sense of me not having to use additional software or writing on a pad (God forbid!) these little notes that go along with these custom patches I am trying to build. :idea:

gittarzann

Forum Addict
Ahhh....

I didn't get that it was a per preset function.

I like that much more.

Hopefully Cliff can implement your idea.

gittarzann

Forum Addict
I love the note idea, it has been brought up several times in the past.

I think the problem with the text is having to break that part out of the .syx file when interfacing with the AxeFx.

claudel

Veteran
gittarzann said:
I love the note idea, it has been brought up several times in the past.

<snip>
++1 for a note field...

At least 1000 characters, please. :geek: :lol:

A way to somehow dump all the patch settings into an easily-readable-by-humans file would also be pretty nifty

shasha

Fractal Fanatic
Guitar Rig has had a notes section for a few years now and yes it was very handy. Now it was embedded into the preset itself so if you shared it then it would be in the new user's note section as well. Not really sure if that's possible due to these being sysex based unless you come up with some way for them to be seperated from the data during import with a regular sysex tool (like Bome's). But for just use within the editor would be great.

I always liked telling people what the preset was voiced for; single coil, humbucker, that type of thing. You could also tell them which IR was used or even the recipe if it was a mixed one.

Stroya

New here
Memory on the axe might be an issue, but even if you could have fewer presets stored on the axe itself, that would be a good trade-off in my opinion.

VirgilGuitar

Inspired
Stroya said:
Memory on the axe might be an issue, but even if you could have fewer presets stored on the axe itself, that would be a good trade-off in my opinion.
Actually with my suggestion, it would require less memory on the Axe, with unloading any IR's when a patch is being used that doesn't have any IR's, and if it does require IR's for the particular patch (Up to 8 on each patch) it would simply load them for the patch that has them - Also, I personally wouldn't care if it took 30 to 60 seconds to load a patch that has the full 8 IR's in there... it's certainly quicker and easier than the current way ;)

Top Bottom