AxeCabManager - Now available in native Mac OS X as well...

This is really cool can't wait to try it. Will get a donation in. For fellow mac (or windows) users with iPads, check out my sig. It's an uber-fast axe-fx editor that runs on iPad, made by forum member Scrutinizer.

So, I'm trying to use this Utility to load the new Ownhammer Cabs. I'm using OS/X 10.6.8. The app loads up and connects to the Axe-FX II (running the new 11.0 firmware). I also have the latest Axe-FX Mac Drivers loaded. The Cab Manager connects to my Axe FX and I can switch to existing cabs easy enough. The problem is when I try to load favorites. It appears the Cab Manager does not recognize Axe-Fx II Ownhammer Cab files (.syx). They are all greyed out when I try to select them into favorites... Am I doing something wrong or is there an issue w/the Cab Manager in this evironment? Thanks.

Are you trying to click and drag .syx files onto the AxeCabManager window when you ONLY have the 'Favourites' mode turned on? That won't work I am afraid.

What you will have to do is to have 'All Cabs' mode turned on, then scroll down to the User Cabs at the bottom of the list. You will have select (highlight) a user cab slot first. Then you can drag the OwnHammer (or any other) .syx file onto the selected slot and it will upload into that slot.

Once you have done uploading cabs into the various user cab slots, then you can go through the list and tick the cabs that you want as your favourites.

Once you have highlighted a bunch of cabs, you can go back to 'Favourites' mode again and the app will only list the cabs you have ticked.

'Favourites Mode' is really only to group your favourites together so you can audition them side by side, even though the cabs may be in slots all over the place - i.e. you can audition the cab in slot 45 right next to the cab in slot 132 if you wanted to, so you can quickly swap between them while playing.

So, I'm trying to use this Utility to load the new Ownhammer Cabs. I'm using OS/X 10.6.8. The app loads up and connects to the Axe-FX II (running the new 11.0 firmware). I also have the latest Axe-FX Mac Drivers loaded. The Cab Manager connects to my Axe FX and I can switch to existing cabs easy enough. The problem is when I try to load favorites. It appears the Cab Manager does not recognize Axe-Fx II Ownhammer Cab files (.syx). They are all greyed out when I try to select them into favorites... Am I doing something wrong or is there an issue w/the Cab Manager in this evironment? Thanks.

Ah, wait - I've just re-read your post and I think I've realised what is happening. I think you are going to the 'Open Favourites...' menu and trying to load the .syx files in there?

The 'Open Favourites...' is only used to load up a .cablist file, which is a specific AxeCabManager file which are collections of your 'Favourite' cabs.

To load a .syx file, you have to click and drag the files onto a user slot on the AxeCabManager list of cabs. Once you have uploaded all the cabs that way, you can tick a collection of them as favourites, then save that collection. For instance, you might have some cabs which are 'Metal' cabs and you might want to save those as a collection. You may have some that are 'Clean cabs' or '4x12 cabs' etc. and you can save those off as collections that you can load up later via the 'Load Favourites...' link.

So - click and drag is the way to go for actually uploading the cabs to the Axe-FX...

I dunno what im doing again....- I cant get any cabs to show up in the AxeCab Manager??
Im using AXE-FX II MIDI IN, and for midi out its AXE-FX MIDI Out...
Im hitting Connect, and the refresh, and seeing a blank page...

Do I need to pull cabs into this? From where?

I have some RedWirez cabs but when I try to load them they are grayed out?

help...:eek-new:

Last edited:
I dunno what im doing again....- I cant get any cabs to show up in the AxeCab Manager??
Im using AXE-FX II MIDI IN, and for midi out its AXE-FX MIDI Out...
Im hitting Connect, and the refresh, and seeing a blank page...

Do I need to pull cabs into this? From where?

I have some RedWirez cabs but when I try to load them they are grayed out?

help...:eek-new:

Hey Spikey - Normally you just need to drag your .syx cab files from Finder into the AxeCabManager window to upload them. The fact that you are not seeing existing cabs in the list when you hit 'refresh' means there is a communication problem with the Axe-FX which we need to solve first.

Firstly - are you using the latest driver on the Mac? Is the Axe-FX connected via the USB cable?

WHen you hit the 'Refresh' button, you should see the 'MIDI' light flicker on the front panel of the Axe-FX (near the lower right corner of the LCD display). Do you see that happen?

Not sure if this is on my end or not...
It works fine as long as I do not have any other devices with midi ports on in my signal chain. If I do, I can see their midi ports in the cab manager drop downs but nothing refreshes and the interface (specifically the disconnect button) stops responding. I have the latest Mac OS and the latest axefx midi drivers. :-|

Last edited:
Can we expect an update for the axe-pad app sometime soon as well?

Definitely... Can't say when though. We are busy re-writing the app virtually from the ground up so that it can 'self maintain' - i.e. read the newer parameters from the newer firmwares directly from the Axe-FX itself.

This has a whole slew of problems, as the old Standard/Ultra units don't work this way, and neither do the pre v10 Firmwares on the II. Making the one codebase support both styles is difficult to say the least.

Still, we will keep working on it, but in between my day job and other commitments, finding time is difficult.

However, tools such as AxeFXReporter and AxeCabManager have come directly out of the work I am doing towards AxePad development. I hope that people enjoy the 'offcuts' of my ongoing development work in the meanwhile...

Hey Spikey - Normally you just need to drag your .syx cab files from Finder into the AxeCabManager window to upload them. The fact that you are not seeing existing cabs in the list when you hit 'refresh' means there is a communication problem with the Axe-FX which we need to solve first.

Firstly - are you using the latest driver on the Mac? Is the Axe-FX connected via the USB cable?

WHen you hit the 'Refresh' button, you should see the 'MIDI' light flicker on the front panel of the Axe-FX (near the lower right corner of the LCD display). Do you see that happen?

Hi yea I dunno what happened, but a swap of usb ports seems to have fixed it- I'm seeing the cabs show up now with the midi lights flashing on the FX II... :encouragement:

Just revisited this today. I know that the official Fractal Cab Manager is just around the corner and I'll probably buy it, but I don't need all the functionality. Just uploading, renaming cabs is probably enough for me now. So maybe this won't be supported at all after that release, but thought I'd give this a go anyway. And renaming IR's causes crashes for me every time.

Here's what I do,

- I upload the Ownhammer cab: OH MAR-CB ALN-BLU T2 MEDIAN
- Highlight the cab in AxeCabManager and replace with: OH MAR Celestion Alnico Blue (this is 28 characters, so below the 31 character limit I've also tried with OH_MAR_CEL_ALNICO_BLUE)
- Select something else, and then select this cab and it works fine, the new name shows up in the Axe Fx II screen correctly, and it plays through the IR with no problems
- Reboot the Axe Fx II
- Edit the cab block and select this cab, instant crash
- Reupload OH MAR-CB ALN-BLU T2 MEDIAN using FractalBot.

Am I missing something here, or doing something wrong?

Sorry to dig up an old post, but i just downloaded this and I keep getting an error that says it can't copy the cab to any of my user cab slots because the cab is "hard-coded". What does this mean and how to i fix this?

Hi, I can't seem to get my AXE-FX II to connect with the Cab Manager. Will it not work with the usb cable? Is there a step that I'm missing?

Ah, hey all - I am REALLY sorry but I haven't been active on these boards much these past couple of months as I have been away and busy on other (day job) projects.

Sorry to dig up an old post, but i just downloaded this and I keep getting an error that says it can't copy the cab to any of my user cab slots because the cab is "hard-coded". What does this mean and how to i fix this?

Raven - this usually means that they are older cabs, or cabs that have been programmed to go into a specific slot number, which you can do when exporting them. Because AxeCabManager is a 'free form' tool that lets you drag and drop to any location, it won't work with .syx files that have hard coded cab slots within the data. Older cab .syx files are also (incorrectly) reported as being 'hard coded'. I experienced this with some older public domain cabs that I had, because the binary format is slightly different. All the new stuff from RedWirex, OwnHammer, Fractal etc. seemed to work fine.

Hi, I can't seem to get my AXE-FX II to connect with the Cab Manager. Will it not work with the usb cable? Is there a step that I'm missing?

The most common fix for this is to try another USB port to see if it works better. Also - does FractalBot or AxeEdit work OK using the same cable?

And allard - the cab renaming bug is something that I have been meaning to fix up, but as circumstances would have it, my Axe-FX II is currently in another location from my development studio, so I haven't been able to tweak and test the cab renaming bit yet...

Back
Top Bottom