AxeCabManager - a new utility for Axe-FX II users

Hi Cyberferret,

Thanks for all the work that you have done on this utility.

For me it would not work.

Using windows 7-32bit notepad. AF2 FW11.01 with new presets and with the latest USB drivers.

The correct USB routing for AF2 MIDI in and out appears on the drop down list options. The default cab offset value is 133.

Pressing the connect button does not reveal any of the existing cabs on the AF2 and there does not appear to be a way to introduce external cab IR's either.

Press the refresh button does nothing but cause the utility to temporarily freeze.

Axe Edit 3.0 and Fractal Bot work okay with AF2 so suspect no issues with the USB.

Anybody have any ideas.

Steve

Hi Cyberferret,

Thanks for all the work that you have done on this utility.

For me it would not work.

Using windows 7-32bit notepad. AF2 FW11.01 with new presets and with the latest USB drivers.

The correct USB routing for AF2 MIDI in and out appears on the drop down list options. The default cab offset value is 133.

Pressing the connect button does not reveal any of the existing cabs on the AF2 and there does not appear to be a way to introduce external cab IR's either.

Press the refresh button does nothing but cause the utility to temporarily freeze.

Axe Edit 3.0 and Fractal Bot work okay with AF2 so suspect no issues with the USB.

Anybody have any ideas.

Steve

Hey Steve,

WHen you pull down the drop down menus in 'MIDI In' and 'MIDI Out' - what EXACTLY does it say on the drop down menus?

EDIT: Support correspondence taken to PM to avoid cluttering up this thread...

Last edited:
Thanks for coming back to me.

Midi messages are:

MIDI IN AXE FX2 and MIDI OUT AXE FX2.

Any help?

Steve

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

All of those sound great! But I am curious. Is there currently a way to move existing cabs around from within the "All Cabs" tab? Lets say I want to move user cab slot 12 to user cab slot 10? Having this ability along with the ability to delete cabs would rock!

Thanks!

Ok, I am going to open it up to the user base here -

1. Would you like to see multiple file drag and drop? i.e. highlight a block of IRs in Windows Explorer or Finder and drag them into a User IR slot, and the app will fill down from that spot with the number of highlighted cabs.

2. Would you like to see an 'undo' feature of sorts, i.e. undo the last drag and drop action (Whoops)?

3. Would you like to see a separate AxeCabManager database of favourite cabs? I don't mean the current highlighting the 232 Factory/User cabs as favourites, but a separate internal database with your 'go to' cabs that are stored internal to the app and can be uploaded easily to the Axe-FX?

4. Would you like to see an iPad version of this app?

Feel free to discuss below where we can all share ideas.

I'm often getting the following error with IR files I've downloaded from axe-change. "The can file has a hard coded cabinet slot. Cannot upload to currently selected slot". Can anyone explain what this issue means, and how I can get round this to upload the IR to my axe-fx?

Error Popup.JPG

Katash - Yes, sorry that looks like a bug in the cab renaming section. The cab names in the Axe-FX are only 31 characters long and not 32. The extra character in the name is causing the issue here on SOME units. I am going to release a patch for the Windows version today sometime that addresses this issue. Sorry about that.

Gratuity sent ! :eagerness: but a question- This extra character is not effecting the mac software side?

Last edited:
All of those sound great! But I am curious. Is there currently a way to move existing cabs around from within the "All Cabs" tab? Lets say I want to move user cab slot 12 to user cab slot 10? Having this ability along with the ability to delete cabs would rock!

Thanks!

There is no MIDI 'move' command for the Axe-FX, but I WAS thinking of adding this functionality in, to drag and drop the cabs in specific order. Basically in the background I need to delete the destination cab after taking a copy, loading the origin cab in that slot, then drop the destination copy in the original slot.

I'm often getting the following error with IR files I've downloaded from axe-change. "The can file has a hard coded cabinet slot. Cannot upload to currently selected slot". Can anyone explain what this issue means, and how I can get round this to upload the IR to my axe-fx?

View attachment 17424

When you save a cab, I believe you have the option of saving the cab slot number embedded in the file. It essentially means that the cab will automatically be loaded back into the same slot number when you go to load it up. You also have the option to save the cab file with no embedded slot, so that it can be put back anywhere.

AxeCabManager only supports cab files with no embedded slot number, because of the free form method the software works, it expects cab files that are not 'hard coded' to a specific slot. Most 3rd party cab files are not hard coded. Some that you get from other users may have the slot number hard coded.

NOTE: A lot of older cab file formats are not recognised by AxeCabManager, and can be wrongly identified as 'hard coded' cab files.

Gratuity sent ! :eagerness: but a question- This extra character is not effecting the mac software side?

I don't think so, as it has a different method for building the cab name strings, however, I did hear back from two Mac users recently who have experienced similar crashing on their units, so I will have to investigate that some more.

PS: Thanks for your donation! :)

Hi CyberFerret,

First I'd like to thank you for your time and efforts !

I've tried the app and it works partially but hey, it helps anyway.
I also have the problem "The cab file has a hard coded cabinet slot. Cannot upload to currently selected slot" with some IR's. Oddly the Mad Oak studio files which are in the 3rd and 4th folders don't upload, but it works with the files of the 1st and 2nd folders.

For those who had problem with Windows XP : at first midi over usb wasn't recognized if I opened the app first, then the Axe Fx. The midi connections through my soundcard were there, but using them made the Axe freeze. Now if I open the Axe first and then launch the app, the usb connection is there and everything work well. FWIW ;-)

Thanks again

Hi CyberFerret,

First I'd like to thank you for your time and efforts !

I've tried the app and it works partially but hey, it helps anyway.
I also have the problem "The cab file has a hard coded cabinet slot. Cannot upload to currently selected slot" with some IR's. Oddly the Mad Oak studio files which are in the 3rd and 4th folders don't upload, but it works with the files of the 1st and 2nd folders.

For those who had problem with Windows XP : at first midi over usb wasn't recognized if I opened the app first, then the Axe Fx. The midi connections through my soundcard were there, but using them made the Axe freeze. Now if I open the Axe first and then launch the app, the usb connection is there and everything work well. FWIW ;-)

Thanks again

I'll check out the issue with the Mad Oak cabs. I have those here as well so will test the 3rd and 4th folder IRs to see why they throw the error.

As for the Axe-FX being on first - Yes, that is the way it should be done. With the Axe-FX, the underlying operating system (Windows or OSX) won't actually detect the device unless it is turned on. This is regardless of the driver being installed. It doesn't become 'active' unless the Axe-FX is powered up. I believe this is the same with the Fractal-Bot and Axe-Edit too.

TIP: If you already have AxeCabManager running, then turn the Axe-FX on, it still won't appear in the drop downs. You have to quit the app and restart it for the drop downs to repopulate.

My aged WinXP started working with the latest version of the Axe driver and Axe Manager, fortunately. However I haven't made too much use of Axe Manager, did most of my experimentation with the new OH IRs before I got it working. But I'm glad it's there all the same.

Wow awesome work glad I found this. It is work like this that makes me want to learn more so that I can share with the rest of the community.
Just curious any way we will see an android version of the axepad (axedroid maybe)

Great utility!! Only problem is renaming cabs won't "stick". After renaming one, it will show in the utility and on the front panel display until the Axe is powered off/on, then it reverts to the original cab name.

I wanted to give this utility a try but found a major bug!!!!
I wanted to replace some IR's with an empty slot but since I couldn't find one, I decided to rename them.
Since you can't use spaces I typed "---"
First bug:
CABL: was replaced with -
CABR: was replaced with --
Second:
Some microphone names were replaced with ---
Third:
upon rebooting, when selecting the cabs that were renamed with ---, the Axe-Fx reboots
I fixed that by sending an IR using FractalBot.

my setup:
Axe-Fx II FW 11.05
W7 Enterprise

Thanks for the work!

I ran into a problem renaming cabs. I decided to rename a couple, and afterwards the sound was screwed up. It sounded like it was in a small room with a lot of reverb (in other words, no definition, and a lot of boomy low end). I reuploaded the IRs with Fractalbot and it fixed them.

Utility works fine in general, however I get issues trying to rename cabs. Some rename, some don't. OwnHammer ones I've bought. Running latest version of Axe Cab Manager and same thing happens on v11 and v12 FW.

Back
Top Bottom