axebackup and afx2lg utilities

Thanks for doing this. You ask for other tools. What might be handy is a tool that outputs a table which preset uses which (user)cabs: so that when you overwrite a user-cab, you know that it's not used in any of your presets.

Regards,
marco

Getting slightly off topic, but what the heck. There seem to be quite a few members on the forum that not only have guitar chops, but programming chops as well, so I guess it's alright ;-)

Regarding '.' vs '->' then the operator doesn't matter since foo.bar == (&foo)->bar and ptr->splat == (*ptr).splat.

Actually when a talk about accessing struct elements with pouinters, I was more thinking about manual arithmeric like take address of FOO : &FOO and then increment by the size of each member.

This thread is sidetracking for sure.

Actually when a talk about accessing struct elements with pouinters, I was more thinking about manual arithmeric like take address of FOO : &FOO and then increment by the size of each member.

This thread is sidetracking for sure.

Ah, I see. Yes, sure, let's not get too much into C++ isms, plenty of that already at work ;)

Regarding "a tool that outputs a table which preset uses which (user)cabs", then that sounds doable - actually CyberFerret's report tool might do that already?

Getting slightly off topic, but what the heck. There seem to be quite a few members on the forum that not only have guitar chops, but programming chops as well, so I guess it's alright ;-)

In the 1960's, IBM spent millions trying to find out what made a good programmer. They never nailed it down, but they did find that a striking number of programmers were also musicians.

I've been a programmer since 1979, still make my living that way...

I've been playing around with a mac version of the backup utility. I'll probably be making it available later today.
While testing, I've noticed a strange thing. I wonder if this might be a bug in the driver on mac?

If I don't click on the mouse or keyboard during a backup, things work fine. However, if while creating the backup, I start using other apps and type or use the mouse (mouse moves do not seem to be enough), then the midi packets from the AxeFx get dropped. I doubt that you'd be able to catch this with a regular midi tool (that's not aware of AxeFx' midi structures) since messages are still delivered as sysex messages, albeit corrupt ones.

Here's an example of what I mean:

Normal:
<begin sysex><fractal id><data><end sysex>

Corrupted:
<begin sysex><fractal id><partial data><fractal id of the next message><some data><end sysex>

In this case, the driver reports data but has apparently dropped a couple of packages off of the end of the first message, including the one that has the sysex terminator and interestingly the sysex start byte (F0) of the next, is also missing.

What I'm doing now to detect this (new feature w00t!) is to verify each message and preset as I'm writing to disk. If verification fails, an error is printed and the backup is cancelled.

Maybe someone with a Mac can try this out with a regular midi utility? If you maybe do a couple of backups and they aren't exactly 830,336 bytes, then there's a problem. To see if the problem occurs try switching to other apps, click the mouse and use the keyboard.

New Mac+Windows are up. See updated OP for download and further details.

Due to the issues seen on Mac (see my previous post), I added a verification and improved filtering of unrelated data to axebackup.
Instead of '#' during the backup, you'll now see the id+name of each preset as it's being added to the backup file.

Yet another version is up with one new utility added (details here: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/62228-new-utility-axechange.html)

In this version I added a new switch to axebackup which might be interesting to the programmers on here:
If you run axebackup with -j, it will generate JSON files.
These files are human readable, easy-to-parse, text files which contain all the details (except user cabs...for now) of each backed up preset.

Just a quick update for all you Gordius and gorgeous folks:

I've made a UI version of the Afx2LG tool:

Afx2LG.png

I've also updated the other utilities with several new under-the-hood updates such as:
  • Support for compressed presets (TM block)
  • Much improved .syx -> json export in axebackup for those interested in reading the data in a slightly more human readable way (or use it from javascript).
  • Support for doing firmware updates in axeloader (it already supports presets and IRs, so why not).

Things that are on the way include undo/redo support a new tool (with a UI, not a terminal tool) for managing and rearranging preset files with support for copying scenes etc.

The download is here: https://code.google.com/p/afx2lg/downloads/list

Last edited:
Just a quick update for all you Gordius and gorgeous folks:

I've made a UI version of the Afx2LG tool:

Afx2LG.png

I've also updated the other utilities with several new under-the-hood updates such as:
  • Support for compressed presets (TM block)
  • Much improved .syx -> json export in axebackup for those interested in reading the data in a slightly more human readable way (or use it from javascript).
  • Support for doing firmware updates in axeloader (it already supports presets and IRs, so why not).

Things that are on the way include undo/redo support a new tool (with a UI, not a terminal tool) for managing and rearranging preset files with support for copying scenes etc.

The download is here: https://code.google.com/p/afx2lg/downloads/list

TGUNN, your tool looks really exceptional. One question - is this the only way to sync the little giant with the AF2 in a "semi" automatic way. I remember back in the day control center made it really easy to pull in all patches from the AxeFx. Is that all gone? If so, why cant Xavier do the same thing for the II. My apologies if this issue has been discussed somewhere or if I'm hijacking. Thanks.

Thanks!
AFAIK this is the only tool for the AxeFx 2. I don't know if Xavier will do more work in this area but doubt it. I've got plans for improvements for my tools but this summer I haven't had any time at all. I'll get back to it soon.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Hi Hoth, I can confirm that this is the only "great" utility that Tomas has created and made ​​available to all users Axefx / Little Giant. I also confirm that Xavier is not willing to create directly this function in the new Control Center for several reasons ... however, with the help of Tomas we can achieve good results (see the Gordius Yahoo group and you will also find several patches customizable)

Hi Hoth, I can confirm that this is the only "great" utility that Tomas has created and made ​​available to all users Axefx / Little Giant. I also confirm that Xavier is not willing to create directly this function in the new Control Center for several reasons ... however, with the help of Tomas we can achieve good results (see the Gordius Yahoo group and you will also find several patches customizable)

I was really starting to regret going for a LG2 rather than a Liquid Foot but this utility makes me feel better about the decision. I hope Tomas keeps developing these tools.

I was really starting to regret going for a LG2 rather than a Liquid Foot but this utility makes me feel better about the decision. I hope Tomas keeps developing these tools.

I used afx2lg tonight as I just got my AxeFx II today. I was up in running and had all factory presets setup in the way i wanted in about an hour. That's like 150+ presets all done with only moderate effort. This tool really is fantastic. Would love to donate to your development fund! Thank you so much for this.

Back
Top Bottom