Axe3 mk1 vs Mk 2

Intheband

Inspired
Just interested in the difference in the Mk2. Is it that big of a deal? I primarily use the Mk1 as a Cubase amp for my DAW. Does the Cygnus make that much difference in digital recording, or is it most notable in live situations? I also have the Fx9 for my live rig. If it makes that big of a deal, how much would you sell a Mk1 for? I don’t see any listed anywhere.
thanks.

Well, in my mind, it’s a review of the two models. So that’s why I placed it here. I also read that Cygnus is only noticeable on The Mk2, and not Mk1, even though you can update Mk1 consecutively.
And yes, I ment FM9, not Fx9.
Thanks.

No sound differences. I upgraded from a Mark I to. Mark II Turbo simply so I can have more blocks in a single preset when playing live.

It doesn’t sound like you are missing anything. There is the ability to have onboard storage of FullRes IRs on the Mark II though. I personally don’t use them. You can try them out on the Mark I to see if it’s critical for you.

Well, in my mind, it’s a review of the two models. So that’s why I placed it here. I also read that Cygnus is only noticeable on The Mk2, and not Mk1, even though you can update Mk1 consecutively.
And yes, I ment FM9, not Fx9.
Thanks.
A review is when you provide your opinions of a product.

Your post is really a question on features... Anyway, no big deal.

As noted, there is no difference in sound. I'm not sure where you read that, but whoever posted that is wrong.

If it makes that big of a deal, how much would you sell a Mk1 for? I don’t see any listed anywhere.
thanks.
Looking at Reverb I see 7 that appear to be Mk I, with prices ranging from $1975 (plus $100 shipping) to $2818.90 (with $165.82 shipping).

Mk2 lets you set the logo color, has fullres ir slots, more cab space, more preset space, more ram for future enhancements yet unmentioned as of now, and a better screen. Other than that they are the same. I just upgraded to the mk2 recently, not even sure why but now my logo can be purple. lol.

Last edited:
Axe4? I honestly don't know what that would be for. We are past the point where horsepower is an issue even for seemingly absurd things IMHO.
It's all about the code now and good old human creativity. I think the biggest next improvements should be in the Editor, which is due for an uplift. The platform is wildly more powerful than in the past, but the editor is still mostly what it was years ago when I started.

Specifically, I'd like to see a focus on making the super powers of the platform even easier to see in context of the current sound. There is also sleeping giant in what you can automate, that would be great to make easier. I want this more than any new amp/cab/etc. feature. We already have so much power and so many amazing choices. To be clear, this isn't about "do new things" so much as "make doing existing things less intimidating, more visual and more repeatable" which is hard, hard work I deeply respect - but it unlocks a lot of value too!

Back
Top Bottom