Axe2 Preset building

Clarky, any chance you might be in Germany during April, besides the July bit you mentioned? We are going over to visit our kid, and it would be cool to see the "live" Clarky! We'd planned to go over in March but they had to do some more cutting on my back again, so April is our new March. Hehe. We'll be down in the Trier area. Hope our paths cross! Cheers

Lee

Clarky, any chance you might be in Germany during April, besides the July bit you mentioned? We are going over to visit our kid, and it would be cool to see the "live" Clarky! We'd planned to go over in March but they had to do some more cutting on my back again, so April is our new March. Hehe. We'll be down in the Trier area. Hope our paths cross! Cheers

Lee
ah jeez…. it would have been super cool to see you…
there was a solid chance that we'd be in Germany on 1st April with Uli Jon Roth but now it's looking unlikely..
which really is such a shame….

playing HRH Prog tomorrow.. so I was in rehearsals today..
the new setup with the 4 XP's works an absolute treat..
after this show I have a nice lil' window of time before the next one, so I'll have time to load up Q7.01

I reckon that there's been enough new stuff showed up to warrant a redesign of my presets to make them more efficient..
I'll be looking to reduce CPU and claw back grid real estate..
with the sole aim of finding new cool ways to fill it all back up again… lol..

HRH Prog was a great success.
One of the guitarists from another band was outside of the venue, heard me soloing and said that he had to go check out that tone, and find out what amp it was.
Several people came up to me saying how good I sounded.
How cool is that.

I went up to Q7.02 and reset the amps
for me personally I loved the feel and the highs but wasn't fond of the low end..
so..
I went back to Q6.02, reloaded my presets, then went up to Q7.02 but didn't reset the amps..
there is a change but it's far more subtle and I'm rather liking it..

Hi @clarky and thanks for your work, it's really inspiring! Also I love your playing too!
I understand that the preset you posted is almost 3 years old, I tried to read everything and you mentioned you are not using your "matrix" approach anymore because you are using scene controllers. Would you like to explain that a bit? So you are not using the mixer anymore?
Also it seems that you are using for live situations a stereo cab setup (guitar cab), so why there is no fx loop inside the preset?
I'm hopefully starting my first prog project and the tone morphing would be perfect for some parts like when in the ending of a riff you hit a power chord that fades out while you start a chorused clean arpeggio behind :D
Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi @clarky and thanks for your work, it's really inspiring! Also I love your playing too!
I understand that the preset you posted is almost 3 years old, I tried to read everything and you mentioned you are not using your "matrix" approach anymore because you are using scene controllers. Would you like to explain that a bit? So you are not using the mixer anymore?
Also it seems that you are using for live situations a stereo cab setup (guitar cab), so why there is no fx loop inside the preset?
I'm hopefully starting my first prog project and the tone morphing would be perfect for some parts like when in the ending of a riff you hit a power chord that fades out while you start a chorused clean arpeggio behind :D
Thanks!
ah yes... all the pics and diagrams are missing thanks to photo bucket..
I'll try to right up my latest presets..
in principle they've changed very little for the last few years.. although I have added a couple of cool things..

the 'matrix' vanished when scenes and scene controllers arrived..
the functionality is essentially 'the same by another means'
I'll explain all that with my latest presets

there's no fx-loop cos I don't need one.. I don't use FRFR, I use big ol' Marshall 4x12 cabs..

ah yes... all the pics and diagrams are missing thanks to photo bucket..
I'll try to right up my latest presets..
in principle they've changed very little for the last few years.. although I have added a couple of cool things..

the 'matrix' vanished when scenes and scene controllers arrived..
the functionality is essentially 'the same by another means'
I'll explain all that with my latest presets
Great to hear! I can't wait to see the preset :D

there's no fx-loop cos I don't need one.. I don't use FRFR, I use big ol' Marshall 4x12 cabs..
Yes but... that's the very reason I thought I would find an fx-loop inside the preset instead of two cab blocks... I'm using an fx-loop block as output to go to a real amp + cab, that's why I couldn't explain 2 cab blocks and no fx-loop inside your preset, or am I missing something?

Yes but... that's the very reason I thought I would find an fx-loop inside the preset instead of two cab blocks... I'm using an fx-loop block as output to go to a real amp + cab, that's why I couldn't explain 2 cab blocks and no fx-loop inside your preset, or am I missing something?

ahh...
when I play through the real cabs I just turn off cab modelling in the global menu from the front panel..
the cab blocks then do absolutely nothing

I understand now, for some reason I thought that you was using both balanced output with cab and unbalanced signal from output2.

Hi @clarky ! So I think I got the basics down: the principle is 2 amp hard panned, 1 amp switched to Y for a cleat tone, and 1 amp with balance back to center for solo work :D
The other bit of information I have is that for cleaning the amp you put a volume controller in front of them (and match them gain-wise) so to have lesser need of modifiers. The volume can be also bypassed per-scene (basically a scene based I modifier :D)
I thought the mixer was a nice and simple idea, but since you are using scene controllers now, I guess you have to rise the PEQ level (to restore bass and highs to a cleaned amp) and lower the amp output level with the same scene controllers?
So what do you think if I go like this:
volume block --> 2 amps in parallel (output leve controlled by scene controllers) --> peq (and other effects) in paralell with amp signal (level controlled by scene controllers) --> PEQ for solo boost?
Also I'd love to see your preset which morph to synth. Is the synth used in parallel like the PEQ to restore cleans?

Hi @clarky ! So I think I got the basics down: the principle is 2 amp hard panned, 1 amp switched to Y for a cleat tone, and 1 amp with balance back to center for solo work :D
The other bit of information I have is that for cleaning the amp you put a volume controller in front of them (and match them gain-wise) so to have lesser need of modifiers. The volume can be also bypassed per-scene (basically a scene based I modifier :D)
I thought the mixer was a nice and simple idea, but since you are using scene controllers now, I guess you have to rise the PEQ level (to restore bass and highs to a cleaned amp) and lower the amp output level with the same scene controllers?
So what do you think if I go like this:
volume block --> 2 amps in parallel (output leve controlled by scene controllers) --> peq (and other effects) in paralell with amp signal (level controlled by scene controllers) --> PEQ for solo boost?
Also I'd love to see your preset which morph to synth. Is the synth used in parallel like the PEQ to restore cleans?

fundamentally you're barking up the right tree..
it's pretty impressive that you've worked all that out without the screenshots
that said it'll really help if I can walk you through screen shots of my grid layout [Photobucket kinda screwed all that up..]
because my grid layout and what switch on/off on a per scene basis is key to the details
I'll try to sort out something for you..

Oh but I loaded your old preset, that helped! :D
You are the best, thanks!!
ahhh that's cool..
so you get to see the grid layout and poke around at the controller config
especially the mixer block cross-fading the PEQ's to mixup the EQ during morphing..
and how I use multiple vol block to effectively control the on/off state of the delay and reverb outside of the block [by allowing / preventing the signal from entering those blocks on a per scene basis]

also note that a big part of how the preset functions is in the MFC too..
because I'm sending 2 MIDI commands when I change scene

Hey mate! Yes I get the mixer crossfading thing to compensate low and highs for the cleaner tone during morphing and to add "sweeteners". I've already made a test preset like that.
The second CC command is used to restore balance at center for the solo scene isn't it? Or has it any other function?
The vol blocks to activate reverb and delay is a little less clear, why don't you just use the mix control on them? Maybe on the old firmware it wouldn't be possible...
This is what I get from the old preset, I also have manually updated all the values and I have something almost working right now.
What I'd like to know also if is the basic template is still the same beacause I think this is from the pre-scenes era. If that is the case I think I can build my own preset following the very accurate instruction you gave from post #670 :D

Schermata 2018-04-15 alle 21.57.03.png

Back
Top Bottom