Axe2 Preset building

so here's the latest….
I got the call over the crimbo hols that there are some nice gigs in the 1st half of 2017 [UK, Netherlands and Germany]..
so.. during my practice sessions I kept an ear out from some places where the new XP could add some new tonal joy..

all 5 of my DC Band presets got a chorus added with the new XP controlling the mix between 0% [heel down] and 50% [toe down]
seemed like a good place to start..
turns out that preset 3 [used for the ballads] and preset 5 [used when we play Starless and Bible Black] get the usage..
it's entirely on the clean scene.. just a few tiny moments where I can fade the chorus in and out..
very subtle, but very pretty in the right places..

in preset 1 [which is used for the bulk of the set] there was no need for the chorus at all..
but there are plenty of places with high pitched dive-bombing harmonics and other whammy bar tricks…
so… I replaced the chorus with a dual delay and place the modifier on the input gain…
screaming dive-bombs with delay.. return the XP to heel down and the tails continue even though I'll now continue riffing dry…
it's the sort of trick you'd throw in, in the studio with automation, but now I'm able to do it live.

this is so much fun… it's adding a really new dimension..

Nice. Wheedling to craziness, then back down to wheedling again.

You had me worried when you said you'd tied your new XP to...chorus mix. It's not really a Clarky deal unless it's doing, like, five more things. Adding Ingain on a dual delay restored some of my faith. Now do something crazy, like having the XP do both delay and whammy, with maybe a healthy dose of damping on the delay. :)

so here's the latest….
I got the call over the crimbo hols that there are some nice gigs in the 1st half of 2017 [UK, Netherlands and Germany]..
so.. during my practice sessions I kept an ear out from some places where the new XP could add some new tonal joy..

all 5 of my DC Band presets got a chorus added with the new XP controlling the mix between 0% [heel down] and 50% [toe down]
seemed like a good place to start..
turns out that preset 3 [used for the ballads] and preset 5 [used when we play Starless and Bible Black] get the usage..
it's entirely on the clean scene.. just a few tiny moments where I can fade the chorus in and out..
very subtle, but very pretty in the right places..

in preset 1 [which is used for the bulk of the set] there was no need for the chorus at all..
but there are plenty of places with high pitched dive-bombing harmonics and other whammy bar tricks…
so… I replaced the chorus with a dual delay and place the modifier on the input gain…
screaming dive-bombs with delay.. return the XP to heel down and the tails continue even though I'll now continue riffing dry…
it's the sort of trick you'd throw in, in the studio with automation, but now I'm able to do it live.

this is so much fun… it's adding a really new dimension..
DO you have a patch or video of the
high pitched dive-bombing harmonics and other whammy bar tricks…
with a dual delay and place the modifier on the input gain…
screaming dive-bombs with delay.. return the XP to heel down and the tails continue even though I'll now continue riffing dry…and how you set this up. Thanks gary

So it's all about the input gain of the delay? So it's done for the trails of the delay
Yup. Turning down Input Gain stops your signal from feeding the delay, but it doesn't stop the delay trails that are already there.

Clarky, let me know where you're playing in Holland and I'll see If I can make it. Or stay at my place if you're near Leiden.

So it's all about the input gain of the delay? So it's done for the trails of the delay
in this particular preset, the delay is always on
the input-gain is assigned to an XP where:
heel down = 0 / toe down = 100
with the input-gain at 0, the signal entering the delay is 0 so the delay is effectively off
when the XP is returned to 0, the delay itself is not switched off, you're simply preventing any more signal from entering the delay, so from that point on the delay tails will continue to sound until they fade naturally whilst anything you play with the heel down will be dry..

there are some nice advantages to this:
- an XP is enables you to control the amount of delay from zero to flat out so you can be subtle with it if you wish..
- the XP is a nice big target to stomp on for adding ad-hoc fx
- it's not a switch so there's no switch on / switch off [latching], or alternatively switch on and hold [non latching]. so you can give it a quick flick forwards and back to apply delay to a single note, or cock it and walk away for adding some delay for a longer period of time and then stomp on the XP's tail to kill it..

all the stuff above I do with delay2
this is because delay1 becomes active when I'm soloing
in that case, when I go to my soloing scene, delay1 is on, and it's off for all other scenes..
to preserve the tails with this delay by setting the bypass to 'mute in' because the delay is in parallel..
note: if you had a delay is in series you'd need to set the bypass to 'mute fx in'

Q - do you know what the difference between 'mute in' and mute fx in' does?

Clarky, let me know where you're playing in Holland and I'll see If I can make it. Or stay at my place if you're near Leiden.
hi Yek
it'll be awesome to actually meet you.. especially as we've known each other digitally for so many years.. lol..
thank for the offer to stay with you, that's awesomely kind, however the accommodation is already sorted out by the promoter
interestingly, you'll finally get to see how all the many pages of this huge thread are applied in a live situation
maybe we could meet up before the gig starts.. it'd be nice to have the time to chat..

May 18: Nieuwe Nor, Heerlen
May 19: De Boerderij, Zoetermeer <-- which is not far from you at all

hi Yek
it'll be awesome to actually meet you.. especially as we've known each other digitally for so many years.. lol..
thank for the offer to stay with you, that's awesomely kind, however the accommodation is already sorted out by the promoter
interestingly, you'll finally get to see how all the many pages of this huge thread are applied in a live situation
maybe we could meet up before the gig starts.. it'd be nice to have the time to chat..

May 18: Nieuwe Nor, Heerlen
May 19: De Boerderij, Zoetermeer <-- which is not far from you at all

I know the Boerderij, I'll try to be there!

I know the Boerderij, I'll try to be there!

just had a thought…
I wonder if I can pull the old "Yek is an official Fractal Audio person.." ploy
"he is here to blah blah.. Axe-II rig / setup rundown for the web.. blah piss-poor excuse… stuff etc blah"
then after soundcheck, do something official looking, like hook up Axe-Edit or dump my config into your laptop etc.. deep deep undercover.. cos we're actually talking about tits and stuff… lol..
and so I can get you in for the sound check and we get to hang out for a while

I can't make promises just yet…
but can start making some noises etc to see if I can pave the way for ya…
and if I can't pull it off, I'll meet you after the sound check anyhow and just hang out with ya in a place close by the venue

just had a thought…
I wonder if I can pull the old "Yek is an official Fractal Audio person.." ploy
"he is here to blah blah.. Axe-II rig / setup rundown for the web.. blah piss-poor excuse… stuff etc blah"
then after soundcheck, do something official looking, like hook up Axe-Edit or dump my config into your laptop etc.. deep deep undercover.. cos we're actually talking about tits and stuff… lol..
and so I can get you in for the sound check and we get to hang out for a while

I can't make promises just yet…
but can start making some noises etc to see if I can pave the way for ya…
and if I can't pull it off, I'll meet you after the sound check anyhow and just hang out with ya in a place close by the venue

Sounds cool! Let me know.

Except for "official FAS person" because I'm not. :)

Last edited:
hahaaaa…. awesome…

good news today…
just found out that we're supporting Yes in July in Germany…
I'm a big Yes fan….
WOOOOHOOOOO ! ! ! !

lil' note: even after all these years of playing…
I'm still a total fan boy

Great news man! Never lose your fan boy enthusiasm!

Sounds cool! Let me know.

Except for "official FAS person" because I'm not. :)

ok… I'll tell everyone that you are the official unofficial Fractal correspondent in the Netherlands..
so of all the unofficial ones, you are officially the unofficial one…
this may just work.. I just need to ensure that I confuse everyone just enough to get away with it..
especially the unofficially unofficial ones because they are impostors..

Back
Top Bottom