Axe2 Preset building

Hello Clarky I have been following this thread with great attention ... and I have to say that you know exactly what you're doing... high level knowledgement in terms of controling and guitar processing... your tones are absolutely stratospheric sounding but unfortunately i do not have your knowledge and no MFC :( there are some way that you can share the presets without the morphing utility.. in a simple version of each preset??? wold be awesome :)!!! thanks and keep the good work []

hey dude....
I'm glad you're liking what you hear.... that's real cool....

there is a way to use the presets without all the control...
it's a pain in the rear though...
basically need to unpick all the control stuff...

each preset essentially generates 4 tones [forgetting the vibe and the "alternate solo" thing I'm working on now]
riff mode and solo mode each with EXP1 set min and min and max
some of the presets are variations so maybe only one or two of the possibles tones are different
this means though that my basic preset will break appart into 4 presets
the variants will each add their differences as new presets..

in the near future I will be unpicking the control from my presets to break them appart and recreate them wth a single amp and hires cab purely for studio recording purposes..
I guess as part of the 'breaking up' process I can recreate each mode and state..
it's actually a very time consuming process..
yes I can do it... but I can't do it right away cos I still have a couple more presets to build to complete the set I'll be using live...

what are you using to control the Axe? maybe we can figure something out which is a little slicker..

Last edited:
well... thanks for your atention and kind reply...

it's not my intention to be a waste of time for you... the true magic in this thread is the ability to put in a single preset such versatility... and obviously its all about morphing... the way you show your point of view about controling this unit as change the way of many people when it comes the time to think about controlling!!!

and to me it makes sense the way you think... the complexity is on your music not in the way you play and control...

so... you put all your effort and know-how in a complex way of programig the things because on stage you like to keep the things very simple to use...

for control the Axe2 i use a Roland Fc-200 (so no time wasters... i just came with an idea for those that really respect your work but dont have the tools or knowledge that you have)

many thanks again

I don't think what you're asking is wasting time at all..
my prob is simply having the time to getting around to doing it [I got to nail all these Axe tones cos I have two albums to record]
I think I understand what you're asking for though..
maybe I can see what I can come up with as a by-product of creating my recording presets....

however.... lol....

I just took a look at the FC-200 manual...
I think you can do all this control stuff..
if you set the expression pedal to MIDI cannel 1, CC 16, all the morphing should fire up for you
in the Axe this is I/O ext ctrl 1.. which you'll see as modifier extern 1 in axe-edit

change the CTRL pedal to MIDI channel 1, CC 20, the riff mode / solo mode switching should fire up too..
in the Axe this is I/O ext ctrl 5.. which you'll see as modifier extern 5 in axe-edit

the only thing you won't get working is the stuff I used extern 6 to fire up...

so... dig out your FC-200 manual and go to page 21... everything you need to know is there...
if you struggle, shout and we'll see if we can walk you through it....

Last edited:
all this makes me ask the question:
do any of you guys out there really struggle with the whole topic of MIDI, MIDI control and how all this relates to the MFC and Axe???
if so..... shout...
maybe in a spare moment I could write up some sort of MIDI basics thing for all y'all
it really is not rocket science.. not once you've had all this stuff explained and de-mystified...
if anything you'll end up saying "huh?? is that it?? you sure??"

anyways... if there's a need for it shout and I'll see what I can do...

Hey clarky, great thread and application of the tools! Others' input & contributions have been nice too. This opens up the mind for some interesting things with CCs and control in general. Thanks so much for your time, curiosity, knowledge and desire to share it with us. Can't wait to try this stuff out.

Clarky,
God yes.
I am intending to use the Behringer FCB1010 to control it, as soon as my new Eureka chip arrives in the mail and I install it.
But then learning to do the controlling stuff that you do is another matter entirely.

here's a clip of my second clean preset
clean mode amp = Hipower Normal
solo mode amp = 5153Red

start: clean mode, neck pup, EXP1 toe down, iffy fingerstyle playing
0:31: clean mode EXP1 heel down [adds quad-chorus], neck pup, more iffy fingerstyle
1:16: clean mode, EXP1 heel down, neck pup, switched to using a pick [got tired of embarrassing myself more than I do normally.. lol]
1:32: clean mode, EXP1 toe down [kills the quad-chorus], neck pup, using a pick
1:54: clean mode, EXP1 toe down [kills the quad-chorus], both pups [same as Les Paul centre selection], using a pick
2:12: clean mode, EXP1 toe down [kills the quad-chorus], bridge pup, using a pick.. couldn't think of anything to do so resorted to some crass Stones-ish chords... [jeez I can't believe I actually recorded that... I think I've shamed the family name with that one.. at least it's really short though...lol]
2:30: clean mode, EXP1 heel down [adds the quad-chorus], neck pup, using a pick
all that was with the Hipower Normal....
from hear on everything is with the 5153Red... and... I managed to resist the urge to shred...
after writing this I think I'll be in need of a little riff replacement therapy....
2:44: solo mode, EXP1 heel down [morphed to clean], neck pup, using a pick
3:13: solo mode, EXP1 toe down [morphed to dirty], neck pup, using a pick
3:37: solo mode, EXP1 toe down [morphed to dirty], switched to bridge pup, using a pick
3:47: solo mode, EXP1 heel down [morphed to clean], switched to neck pup, using a pick
4:00: alternate solo mode via EXS2, EXP1 heel down [morphed to clean], switched to neck pup, using a pick
4:16: alternate solo mode via EXS2, EXP1 toe down [morphed to 'slightly dirty', adds +12 and -12 pitch shifter], neck pup, using a pick
4:38: alternate solo mode via EXS2, EXP1 heel down [morphed to clean], neck pup, using a pick [couldn't resist a little Bach with this tone]...

EDIT: shout to Cliff - I am so liking the Hiwatt... you've gone and hit yet another bullseye with this one.. what a versatile tone.. it's a true 'one size fits all' type of clean.. dial it in once and it'll serve pretty much any purpose....

EDIT 2: there's no Ring-Mod in this preset... I've just realised that I took it out yesterday.... but forgot that I had until I just looked at Axe-Edit....

Last edited:
Hey clarky, great thread and application of the tools! Others' input & contributions have been nice too. This opens up the mind for some interesting things with CCs and control in general. Thanks so much for your time, curiosity, knowledge and desire to share it with us. Can't wait to try this stuff out.

once you start messing with this stuff and discovering the potential from a performance standpoint there really is no going back...
seriously you'll have guys with all kinds of amps and convention stomps trying to tease out of the evil 'dark side' that is multi-fx units..
you'll look at their rigs and be like..
"yeah... sounds great an' all".. but all you'll see is a big of pile of limitations.....

Clarky,
God yes.
I am intending to use the Behringer FCB1010 to control it, as soon as my new Eureka chip arrives in the mail and I install it.
But then learning to do the controlling stuff that you do is another matter entirely.

I promise you.. it's not as difficult as you think....
all you need to do is set up your toe down tone..
and then figure out what it is you want the heel down tone to do...
you'll add a heel down change... then "hmm.. the tone needs more reverb" so you control the reverb...
then think.. "hmmm... needs to thicken" so you control the compressor and some EQ...
and so on...
each time your heel down tone lacks / needs something, you have a little prob to solve.. think it through.. and add the solution to the growing list of things under control..

Jumping jesus, that's a pretty sweet variety from one preset ... impressive! I think I missed it: what event changed the amp type to the 5153?
ps. Feel free to shred some on the recording ;)

2:44: solo mode, EXP1 heel down [morphed to clean], neck pup, using a pick
at this point the EXP1 is heel down, so the soloing tone is cleaned...
you can hear the delay kick in.. and although clean it's a little more compressed..

I hit EXS2 to switch between riff mode and solo mode...
EDIT: mistake above - EXS1 switches between riff / solo modes
in this preset it's clean mode to solo mode..

post 308 on page 16 of this thread has a lil' shred going on in it in a couple of places....
no taste... no class.. no style.. just notes... lots of them... lol..

Last edited:
Hey Clarky... Yesterday I followed all your instructions ... and BANG ... everything started working as it should ... I have to thank you again for all the help and time spent ... I will follow this thread just because its amazing!!!

Thanks man.. you Rock!!!

Reactions: Ole
yaaaaaaayyyyyyy......
awesome stuff....

when I get a spare mo, I will write up a MIDI basics thing..
a lot of folk seem to think all this MIDI stuff is some sort of dark art...
but it's not... it's just a sort of 'language' really...
ok.. so there are some areas of MIDI that can get a little complex, but all that's for the manufacturers to goof around with..
all us general muso type need is a solid understanding of the basics so that we can make out various MIDI gizmos talk to each other..

RonnR: no probs dude.. I'll post the preset later today / tomorrow with a few notes..

have you ever tried anything like this 'tone morphing' stuff before??

No. Too much of a newbie but learning every day! I am not able at this time to use expression pedals due to a disability though I am currently in the process of developing some alternatives that will function as such. I also use my MFC on a stand by hitting the switches with my hand. I have basically spent the last couple years learning the darn instrument and the signal chain. The Axe has been a great tool in that regard for me. Being the techie IT guy I am I just love the whole gear related aspect of this as much as learning to play and the music itself. I really appreciate threads like this as they bring to light the endless possibilities that abound. It's really a blessing that you gifted and experienced guys are so giving of your time and knowledge.

~Tip of the hat~

hmmm...... if you can mount the MFC.... why not mount an EXP and a couple of EXS switches...

thinking on it...
imagine your presets work the same as mine - a single preset per song / per song type..
this means that you only have to change preset between songs [and not mid-song]..
those MFC switches may not be much fun to change with your hands quickly..
they require a lot of effort and have a small surface area... this could hurt [especially in the heat of performance]..
EDIT: but mid-song maybe you'd not need to swipe at them the same way [with less urgency / energy]

if you mounted a Boss FS-6 you'll have 2 EXS switches..
they have a larger surface area to the MFC and the FS-6 switches require much less pressure to opperate..
nice quick and easy changes, softer and injury free

so... like with my presets...
EXS1 = FS-6 switch A
this will toggle between your current rhythm tone [clean or riff etc] and you soloing tone
EXS2 = FS-6 switch B
this will call up whatever misc 'thing' you need.. and effect [or few].. or an alternate soloing / rhythm tone etc...

a pair of FS-6 switches will make all 4 EXS's available to you should you need to call up more 'preset stuff' on the fly..

a mounted expression pedal may offer a slightly different performance experience to a MIDI control surface 'knob'..
if you know someone who has an expression pedal maybe try it.. see how it feels hand opperated..
just get the EXS1 stuff working [maybe from one of my presets in here] and have it on a table next to you so you can get at it with your right hand [assuming you're a righty player]..

if you prefer using a knob and smaller switchs maybe you can try using a MIDI control surface..
assign a coulpe of buttons for the EXS switches and a couple of knobs for the EXP pedals..
you may have to ask a few questions of FAS regarding

AXE <- MIDI / ethernet -> MFC <- MIDI / DIN cable -> control surface

one thing though... it's easy to 'see' where an expression pedal is [toe up / down mid etc]
so if you opt for the control surface route, be sure that there is some sort of indication so you know where the EXP 'knobs' are set..
be that a simple arrow / line on the knob and numbers 1 to 10.. or a ring of LED's etc...
cos some control surfaces just have a plain knob / dial... which is crap really... lol...

what I'm thinking is that which ever way you choose to go about this, you need something:
- easy to see [including seeing it's current state / position]
- soft to opperate
- a nice big target area to reach for [cos you are afterall playing face melting solos whilst reaching out for these controls]

just trying to offer some thought provoking solutions here...

EDIT: jeez... just thought... some MIDI control surfaces have faders like on a mixing desk..
they'll show their position much better than a knob or dial...
that just leaves ease of use - which is of course up to you..

Last edited:
Great fun, great thread, great information and great tones.

Clarky - I like the way you think man. Many kudos for sharing like you have. Very inspiring!

Back
Top Bottom