Axe XL as a load box??

Jimmytwotimes

Experienced
I have recently starting using my XL in the effects loop of my amp using the 4 cable method - which I have never tried before. What I found is that I'm using the output levels on the axe to control my volume and setting my amp to a certain level ( stays around 3). But in theory, I could turn up my amp to 11 and use the output control of my axe to control the volume. I haven't tried this yet as I'm afraid that I'll damage my amp or the axe. How SHOULD I be controlling the amps volume? Turn both volume outputs on the axe all the way and adjust amp volume on the amp? Or just keep my amp volume around 2-3 and adjust the volume on the axe ? Or does it matter?

The axe fx would not be a load box, but it would lower the input to the power amp if the axe fx output knob is turned down. I dont know much about the inner workings of an amp but I would not think lower input should not hurt Your amp. if you had pedals in the loop and cranked the amp it should not hurt it, axe fx should not be any different. you how ever may get unwanted noise with the amp turned all the way up and the axe fx turned down. I would adjust for the best usable signal to noise ratio.

Back
Top Bottom