Axe-X

My "Ideal" concept of the FAS guitar would not be a guitar but a simple pickup, say a humbucker, that can be dropped in any instrument, wires to a standard 1/4 output and takes care of the guitar modeling. One pickup, 2 or 3 controls, period. All the electronics would be contained in the pickup and the control harness. The actual unit being a Hex pickup which individually models each string and then sums it up and sends it to an output. Controls allow volume, tone, model, pickup position, combination, etc. Oh, and a small USB jack in the back allows both firmware upgrades and charging the battery!
Stick that into one of your favorite guitars.
Yup, I'd definitely buy something like that.

Patzag, that is brilliant!!!!

Exactly! A hex pickup that can be put into any electric guitar's bridge position, because it's dimensions are the same! ....no need for a traditional hex-midi pickup to attach to your guitar's body, but this Fractal pickup needs to be a hex design so that palm-muting can work correctly. (not a piezo design)

Ergo: It looks like a regular humbucker or single-coil, but it's really a hex pickup that can model different humbuckers and single-coil guitar sounds, as well as alternative tunings, perfect intonation (when wanted), etc.

This would definitely be a step above what the Antares people are doing!

If FAS would go into digital guitar modeling, I surely hope that they DON`T go the "guitar" route but instead choose to have it externally, like:

RackVax

I haven´t seen one Variax guitar that I thought looked good (enough, if we wanna set the bar low here). Add to that, the problems many have been reporting on regarding these guitars AND on top of that the price. And that IMHO, is a perfect example of how to NOT do it. That´s a lots of waste of resources (and many good ideas) in the wrong way.

A guitar is transported, moved, roughly handled, played, occasionally dropped (in worst case), vibrates/resonates AND often ends up in difference surroundings (in regard to temperature and humidity) within the same day if you´re playing out, it consists of wood (a material that may force its own tensions in abovementioned conditions) and have got whatever more factors you can think of that I may have forgot here. Conditions that probably aren´t the most optimal to DSP circuits. To have it "failsafe" means close to MIL or rough industry spec, but then no one (in mass market) would/could afford it based on that part alone. Problem is that a guitarist, when buying a guitar looks equally for how well the guitar is built as how it sounds (and how it looks too).

So there is the other half of the problem, no model fits nor appeals all guitarists (or at least enough of them). To cover that you have to mass produce huge amounts and/or offer several models. My guess is that none of which can´t really be done without cutting costs, there are always someone expecting a good turnover in the end. But how would you choose cutting costs, if not evenly spread out in all regards of what it is that makes this guitar a guitar (for you, the customer)?

IMHO, external device is the way NOT a guitar.

My 2 cents...

Never even HEARD of a rax vax! That is cool!....BUT THEY ARE NOT MANUFACTURING THEM ANYMORE....WHY???

One of the best ideas a company can come up with and they QUIT MANUFACTURING IT???

Talk about STUPID! Now that's STUPID!

Never even HEARD of a rax vax! That is cool!....BUT THEY ARE NOT MANUFACTURING THEM ANYMORE....WHY???

One of the best ideas a company can come up with and they QUIT MANUFACTURING IT???

Talk about STUPID! Now that's STUPID!

Well, yeah if your base your business solely on another manufacturers part (that needs to be de-mounted). I can imagine it being quite hard to run that business...

Ubertar pickups in all different options are cool, I have been looking into them for years but haven´t bought any yet... someday...
Problem is that I´m using graphtech hexpander, and I´d like to jack into that 13pin output with an ubertar pickup as well.
AND, I totally agree that the GK13 connector is a weak link. Been discussed alot at futureguitarnow forum...

Last edited:
Hey everyone,
Mike told me about this thread, so I thought I'd step in and say hello... I'll be happy to answer any questions about ubertar pickups. I'll be checking in here and there... if I'm slow to respond, feel free to send me an email... the address is on my site.
Paul

I don't know, every hand is different, i would never buy a Line-6 guitar.
I could not imagine that we all love the same guitar.

I think the most universal idea is to sell only the circuitboard and build it in my own guitar.
I'd bring it to my guitar-guy that build my guitar for me.
He can make a tremelo with Piezo pickups fit to this guitar and make a bigger hole for the circuitboard.

that way you will have Passive and Digital in one guitar that you loved in the first place.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,
Mike told me about this thread, so I thought I'd step in and say hello... I'll be happy to answer any questions about ubertar pickups. I'll be checking in here and there... if I'm slow to respond, feel free to send me an email... the address is on my site.
Paul

Hi Paul! Congrats on your pickup design!

I'm curious about the Antares circuit board for guitar modeling and alternative tunings, etc. When it comes out, it will have a typical hex midi pickup. I'm wondering about using it instead with one of your hex humbucker pickups. Think it will work well? Do you forsee any issues with the Antares circuit board? Thanks!

Well... I did request this back in the "What is the next Fractal product" -thread. I had some cool ideas worth sharing if anyone's interested.

The problems I ran into were things that can't be modeled like neck shape and 22 or 24 frets. What kind of bridge? And what guitar shape? Strat, Tele, LP, PRS and (please no) Ibanez? If a shape of your own then hopefully not the basic black Jackson type that statistically sells well but is infact butt ugly.

So... should there be options for people to choose?

And please MUSIC MAN necks. ;)

Certainly something we could get into. Right now we have our hands full with several other things we are working on.

Given the disparity between line6 and Fractal when it comes to modelers (POD vs Axe-FX) the mind boggles how much of a good job Fractal could do with making a guitar. I've got a Variax and it is surprisingly good for the money. Useful for small gigs where lugging around three guitars is just a pain in the ass.

Back in the days of the first Variax, a lot of people would buy the cheapest of the models, pull the electronics out, and "roll their own" with their own parts from StewMac, Warmoth, etc. Warmoth actually made bodies routed out for the electronics. But definitely - if Line 6 can make this, imagine how great an FAS version would be!

Clark,

I resent that statement regarding Jackson guitars being butt ugly. Not everyone shares your taste (or lack there of).

Let's tone it down, young man...

I know there's probably more to it than this, but if a standard set of principles was agreed (e.g. x scale, x positions, x bpm) and various forumites recorded their guitars dry to this then it would be pretty easy for individuals to tonematch match their guitars to these recordings. Put the tone match block the first thing in the chain and you've got your Axe FX modelling guitars/pickups as well as amps, well, kind of...

our hands full with several other things we are working on.
Yes_TwitterProfile.jpg

You can't simply tone match guitar pickups. Try tone matching clean tones... :)
Yes and no. You can't match different pickup types across different positions, but it should be possible. for instance, to tone-match a neck single-coil to another neck single-coil, because the3 differences are almost entirely EQ.

Well... no. Sure you can get the EQ side covered but what about the feel and dynamics of a certain pickup? Trust me I've tried a dozen times with all kinds of settings. You really have to smoothen the match which makes it inaccurate. F.ex. getting a strat sound out of a split humbucker on a 24 fret guitar and no pickguard. Sorry but EQ will not get you all the way there... I wish it could. :)

How do you get a maple fretboard sound out of a rosewood fretboard guitar? etc. sooo many questions.

I think I have an idea on how to change tone woods on a guitar. It's complex and semi-classified. ;) But basically using Flaxwood bodies and measuring the full dynamic range eq etc options in my secret way....... if Fractal doesn't do it I will. :D

Well... no. Sure you can get the EQ side covered but what about the feel and dynamics of a certain pickup? Trust me I've tried a dozen times with all kinds of settings. You really have to smoothen the match which makes it inaccurate. F.ex. getting a strat sound out of a split humbucker on a 24 fret guitar and no pickguard. Sorry but EQ will not get you all the way there... I wish it could. :)

How do you get a maple fretboard sound out of a rosewood fretboard guitar? etc. sooo many questions.

I think I have an idea on how to change tone woods on a guitar. It's complex and semi-classified. ;) But basically using Flaxwood bodies and measuring the full dynamic range eq etc options in my secret way....... if Fractal doesn't do it I will. :D
My understanding of feel and dynamics are that it's pickup/guitar resonances (EQ) into the amp, with feedback from the speakers. Pickups are pretty linear devices. A humbucker gets different phase relationships than a single-coil, and pickup position does make a difference (that's where a 24-fret neck may be problematic if you're trying to match to a 22-fretter). What does a the guitar contribute besides resonances and sustain?

Hi Paul! Congrats on your pickup design!

I'm curious about the Antares circuit board for guitar modeling and alternative tunings, etc. When it comes out, it will have a typical hex midi pickup. I'm wondering about using it instead with one of your hex humbucker pickups. Think it will work well? Do you forsee any issues with the Antares circuit board? Thanks!

It's hard to know without knowing more about the board and its circuitry. I actually got an email from them asking for a pickup sample b/c they were looking for something better than what they had. I asked them which model they wanted me to send them and where to send it, but they never got back to me. It may be that, like the Variax, the alternate tuning settings require a piezo pickup in contact with the bridge for it to sound right, and an electromagnetic pup just won't be compatible. Then again, that's just speculation.

Paul

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom