Axe vs Plexi 100w

Good times

Had a Bray mod rework1 Marshall 1987x (50 watts) that I was blasting through a 1960bv cab at a friends house. He was blasting his Diezel through a Mesa 4x12. The marshall killed the diezel btw. Normally I'd have the master way down but in this case I decided to open the amp all the way with everything on 10. It was heavenly. But damn if it wasnt loud as fuck!! Time kinda got away from us after a few beers and we noticed we were blasting the neighborhood at 1am. yikes No one complained. I can only assume the whole neighborhood was banging their heads in unison with the horns pumping. What a sound. Saturated yet articulate and clear. Perfection.

Years ago we were rehearsing and I was using my Peavey VTX MX combo. 100W combo amp POS. All of a sudden a power tube went and the amp let out an ear-splitting squeal. Everyone ran from the room. The amp was still in there squealing and I figured I needed to shut it off or the speaker or OT would blow. I ventured back into the rehearsal room and the intensity of the sound made me dizzy. I stumbled toward the amp as the room was spinning. After nearly passing out I was able to flip the power switch. It left a lasting impression as to just how powerful a tube amp is and how much they can damage your hearing.

I had one of those VTX 112 combos - it was like a Boogie Mark IV died, got buried in Stephen King's Pet Sematary, and came back as a really bad idea. I would have been going to the circuit breaker box outside instead of struggling to get to the cut off switch like a bad science fiction movie.

I had one of those VTX 112 combos - it was like a Boogie Mark IV died, got buried in Stephen King's Pet Sematary, and came back as a really bad idea. I would have been going to the circuit breaker box outside instead of struggling to get to the cut off switch like a bad science fiction movie.

That, or called S.W.A.T. in to take it out with a well aimed round.

Years ago we were rehearsing and I was using my Peavey VTX MX combo. 100W combo amp POS. All of a sudden a power tube went and the amp let out an ear-splitting squeal. Everyone ran from the room. The amp was still in there squealing and I figured I needed to shut it off or the speaker or OT would blow. I ventured back into the rehearsal room and the intensity of the sound made me dizzy. I stumbled toward the amp as the room was spinning. After nearly passing out I was able to flip the power switch. It left a lasting impression as to just how powerful a tube amp is and how much they can damage your hearing.

You know it’s loud, and essentially a sonic weapon, when it causes what is known as the Tullio Phenomenon in the listener.

This is why I have tinnitus. Spent many years in front of my cranked 1978 Marshall. At one point I had (2) 4x12's with an 800w stereo power amp. I slaved the Marshall into a Rane mixer with am Alesis Quadraverb. It was brutally loud but oh so good.

Thank God we now have the Axe-FX!

I had to go look it up to see what that amp was. Here is your chance to re-live the horror: https://www.musicgoroundgreenfield....MIsdXwqI751gIVSTyBCh1w-wR8EAYYASABEgISqPD_BwE

Great tone, but if they didn’t already have tinnitus before, now they do....

I’ve dimed my bassman and plexis before, and even with my shooting earmuffs on it was painfully loud. Can’t imagine listening to that without hearing protection. Might as well ask someone to discharge a shotgun next to your ear, or stick your head into a jet engine

Now you know why all those old musicians and soundguys have gone deaf or gotten tinnitus.

And to think some guitarists wanted even more volume. The 200w Marshall Major.

I've dimed every amp I've ever owned at least once just to scratch that itch and see what the amp can do. It's so much fun!!

I had a 1987 and 1960a cabinet back in the day; mine had 6550s due to the Rose-Morris deal. I wanted to be Ritchie Blackmore, so it was an 70s natural, ash-body Strat, and everything full up. The drummer in that band constantly broke sticks and cracked heads. :D

Wish I still had all that stuff, even the ash Strat; that particular one was a good one (had one a couple years later that was a DOG).

P.S. I had to have at least a couple speakers in the cab re-coned.

P.P.S. I want one, again. Because it's magical, naughty, and visceral. :cool:

Last edited:
I was dialing in a tone a while back with my AxeFxIIXL through 2 EV ELX112P's, and my wife asked me if it needed to be as loud as it was. I looked at her and smiled, and then told her how it's not nearly as loud as my old rig. She's never heard my Dual Rectifier setup. I used to use my Recto in a W/D/W setup with a 2:ONE HUNDRED. 300 watts of MESA. That setup moved a lot of air.

I had a 1987 and 1960a cabinet back in the day; mine had 6550s due to the Rose-Morris deal. I wanted to be Ritchie Blackmore, so it was an 70s natural, ash-body Strat, and everything full up. The drummer in that band constantly broke sticks and cracked heads. :D

Wish I still had all that stuff, even the ash Strat; that particular one was a good one (had one a couple years later that was a DOG).

P.S. I had to have at least a couple speakers in the cab re-coned.

P.P.S. I want one, again. Because it's magical, naughty, and visceral. :cool:
My first Strat was a 70's ash body. Total POS.

Yep. I worked in a vintage guitar store while in college in the late '70s. Most of the CBS Fenders were awful. The particular instrument I had was generally good, but it did have the small fretwire, which was annoying as hell. I couldn't afford the pre-CBS Fenders, though there were plenty in the shop.

On the other side of it, I was fortunate enough to be able to play multiple 58 - 60 sunburst LPs - one of which is now known as the "Rosanna Burst" - Lukather bought it, some time after I left the shop. It IS an awesome example - not a great looking guitar, but sounded tremendous and played really, really well. In retrospect, I should have saved every nickel and bought that guitar!

Wish I still had all that stuff, even the ash Strat; that particular one was a good one (had one a couple years later that was a DOG)
I dig those Strats. I liked them more then his later vintage white Strats. And to think he wrecked several of them during the California Jam gig.

I was lucky to find a 90's MIJ lookalike in the 90's which I paid with one of my first paychecks. Still have, although its been heavily modded over the years.

I'd headed to the fuse panel first.

Good times

Had a Bray mod rework1 Marshall 1987x (50 watts) that I was blasting through a 1960bv cab at a friends house. He was blasting his Diezel through a Mesa 4x12. The marshall killed the diezel btw. Normally I'd have the master way down but in this case I decided to open the amp all the way with everything on 10. It was heavenly. But damn if it wasnt loud as ****!! Time kinda got away from us after a few beers and we noticed we were blasting the neighborhood at 1am. yikes No one complained. I can only assume the whole neighborhood was banging their heads in unison with the horns pumping. What a sound. Saturated yet articulate and clear. Perfection.
Cleveland rocks.

The period from the late '60s to the late '70s was arguably Fender's roughest period for quality control. The same can be said of Gibson.

Last edited:
I once borrowed an used JCM800 from a store to check it out at home. A few minutes in, it started making the loudest buzz ever heard, with bright blue flames dancing inside the power tubes, illuminating my whole room. JUMP to the amp and turn it off, scared ****less.

"I didn't like this amp, it's posessed."

Later I got a 1975 JMP that was totally useless too, because it would shake the house down when used, and neighbours from a mile wide radius complained. But I have to admit that blasting that full stack from my back porch into the forest sounded amazing! That reverb was unforgettable.
Too damn funny bra !!!!...frickin posessed!!!... I'm laughing very loudly right now!

Back
Top Bottom