Axe vs Eleven [vs HD500] clip

mouzer

Hey guys-

I had an opportunity to have a reamp session with my buddy's AxeFX and decided to make this comparison clip between the two, within the context of a mix. The modelers switch off every 4 or 8 bars to showcase each one separately. I won't say which one is which yet, but I know which one I like better :cool:

http://soundcloud.com/mouzer/sets/clips

Let me know what you think!

Oh, and if you like the (half of the) song, and make sure to check out the rest of the songs on my soundcloud. The AxeFX wasnt use on any other songs though, but that is soon to change!

Edit: Updated the link to include the Pod HD500

Re: Axe vs Eleven clip

Through my speakers at low volume... the first set sounds brighter and the second clip (starting at around 12 seconds sounds darker...) I only listened to the first 20 seconds. Cool riff!

I'd guess the brighter tone is the 11R, IMHO.

The not-as-bright guitar sounds just mo' betta' though I'd tweak the tone some.

IMHO.

On the 2 parts I heard the guitar(s) best was at the :42 :D than the one at :52. :x

The only problem that I would see with a comparison like this though, is the fact that you could tweak either unit to make it sound better (Or worse!) pretty easily. Then there is the other point of "what sounds good to me, may not sound good to you" theory. I could do the exact comparison in between my Digitech RP250 and my Vox ToneLab. The ToneLab has a 12AX7 tube in it, but the RP250 doesn't. I have owned solid state amps through my 35+ years of guitar playing as well as tube amps and depending on what tone I am looking for with my recording situation, will call for different tones.

What also sold me on the AxeFX Ultra was the all of the options I have compared to the Eleven, OR for the Axe FX Standard. I want as much possibilities to shape the tone for everything I do and the more tools I have in my arsenal, the more happy this guitar-playin' fool is! :D

I think the darker one is the Axe-FX. It seems to have a bit more depth and complexity where the brighter tone seems a bit more flat. I think the brighter tone works better in the mix, though.

Tom said:
I think the darker one is the Axe-FX. It seems to have a bit more depth and complexity where the brighter tone seems a bit more flat. I think the brighter tone works better in the mix, though.

+1. My thoughts exactly.

starswimmer said:
I like the first tone better. The second one sounds more 2 dimensional to my ears.

My thoughts exactly!

And yes, I also think that the first one seems to set better / fit better in the mix / context of the song and the other instruments.

That being said, they are both cool sounding tones and clearly shows that either unit is a viable option for recording.

Cool tune too! Pick one, finish you cd and let us know when it is done and where we can buy it! :cool:

Great!

I too have both modeller racks and I think the Axe FX sounds a bit more like a miced amp and has less "fizz" on it's sound.

The two tones aren't dialed in similar enough for comparison. That said, I liked the darker sounding set better across the board.

There's some weirdness in the mix since both sound overly cutting. I'd scoop the mids a bit. When I tried the 11R all cab sims were scheisse. So i guess the fizzy version is 11R. What amp sims/cab sims were used?

Ok... I have a test for you...

Each one of these pictures is supposed to be an accurate digital representation of an orange... Which one looks more like an orange?

funny-orange-thumb1908613.jpg
funny_528.jpg

144988,xcitefun-orange-sleepy-style-1-.jpg
144987,xcitefun-orange-sleepy-style-2-.jpg

144980,xcitefun-orange-sleepy-style-9-.jpg
144982,xcitefun-orange-sleepy-style-7-.jpg

144990,xcitefun-orange-sleepy-style-11-.jpg
emo-oranges~0.jpg

i-like-botox-and-orange-tan.jpg
funny-orange.jpg

Back
Top Bottom