AXE uses other than guitar...

AnswerInfinity

Inspired
Just wondering who is using the AXE for things other than guitar and what that is? Bass is obviously the first thing it would lend itself toward, but I saw one guy posting about running vocals through it. I'd be curious to see what people are doing that's "outside the box."

I absolutely love some of the reverbs in this thing.

Sometimes I'll "reamp" a snare through it and record a 100% wet reverb. Then I blend it to taste with the dry snare.

The plate/room reverbs rock for this. It's also nice because I don't have to use precious CPU resources for a nice reverb plugin since it's a wave file.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I use it for bass a ton, as you said it's the natural first thing. I also used it for my mandolin once running through the tube pre instead of a DI. Just helped warm it up and balance the frequencies across all strings a bit more. A touch of reverb as well and it sounded great! And it was just a cheap Epiphone mandolin.

I haven´t tested (nor connected) all yet but my plan is that I´ll test:

Synths/pads (with i e shimmer, and other delay and reverb goodies, will probably be some attempts of getting things dirtier too).
Organs, electric pianos etc (probably mostly with just amps, cab and rotary).
+ more...

Both of above will be with my virtual modular synth (which allows me to create pretty much any kind of sound in that regard).
Will also test with:

Sampler (which could essentially mean the same as above examples and/or guitar but with "real" sampled instruments/recordings, think of it partly as some kind of re-amp situation).
Looper (same as in the sampler example above, but more like realtime looping playback of my guitar).

All of above will be connected thru an auto-patchbay, so I´ll be able to patch in what I need/want into the AxeFx II second input/output. But I´ll need some kind of mixer too to be able to bring the other gear into some FRFR rig without going thru the AxeFxII first...

Hey,

I use the axe for my live show which is Keys, vocals, and 2 guitars (acoustic/electric). Works great. Single system, all pedals can apply to everything, and its easy to manage.

Steve

Two guitars at once, tone matching a piezo acoustic to a proper recorded acoustic. I've also used the Axe as a reverb unit for various recorded instruments, as a sound card for my pc, and as a "listening EQ" for cutting room nodes where some frequencies boom in my room.

Last edited:
My Axe has become my only amp for all my instruments: electric guitar, acoustic guitar (with homemade tonematch with a microphone), Selmer-style gypsy guitar (also tonematched), electric bass, and upright bass (sounds better and has more control than my actual bass amps).

Bass and Acoustic guitar, just for EQ, comp, effects...

Using a Yamaha Silent Guitar for live gigs, and I'm quite happy. No amp simulation, just minor eq adjustments and some delays/verb.

EDIT:

PS: Oh, btw, I could use the Axe FX II for bass more often, If I had a amp sim I actually liked. :).
(I'm not complaining)

Apart from the obvious amp/effect usage for the guitar/bass (i don't own amps or effects since i bought the Axe), the last 10 days i am using it mostly (due to very specific recording sessions) as a pure audio interface for my old GR-20 midi gismo.

So since all my projects are in 48Khz/24bit, the Axe does all the "dirty" work for my GR-20 as well. GR20 output to rear Axe input. I have a an empty preset just for this case and i am ready to record via usb all my midi/guitar parts as well. Dig the results and the simplicity (yes, i am addicted to recording via usb to death).

I wouldn't hesitate to use the Axe strictly as an audio interface no matter what i'd put in front (or rear, lol) of it, no matter if it's instrument, mic or other type of gear.

Can you explain more and detail how you plug everything in and how you set your block's up and if you ue other external hardware

Can you explain more and detail how you plug everything in and how you set your block's up and if you ue other external hardware

If you are referring to me...no blocks needed (blocks would be needed if i wanted to use effects with the GR-20 or enhance the sound etc, not my case).

An empty preset (meaning the only thing is in there is a line/virtual cable straight straight from IN to OUT) is enough. Only thing i set (depending on the GR-20 sound i use at that time) is the level of the preset to get the wanted recording level(from AxeFXII's menu, "LAYOUT"-->"OUT" and i set the "Main Level" accordingly).

No blocks at all, that's the case that the Axe has only an "audio interface" role so the only purposes of the Axe are :

a)to listen what i play via the Axe-related gear (not seperate gear for the GR-20)
b)and the most important to me, to take the GR sound, convert it to 48Khz/24bit and send it to my daw/pc via usb.

Connections are simple...the GR-20 is 24/7 connected to the Axe like this: OUTPUT MONO(R) of the GR-20 to AxeFXII's rear INPUT1 (L/MONO).

When i select the "Midi" (as i have named it) preset i first must go to "I/O"-->"Audio" and change the "Input 1 Left Select" from "Front" to "Rear" and that's all (of course i have to remember to set it back to "Front" if i need to play/record guitars/bass).

The results are great (for my taste at least) the only thing i should really do is to back off a little bit GR-20's level because i have it cranked and i bet it inroduces a bit of noise (noticed it only in full silence, neither the REAPER's nor the Focusrite Mixer's indicators can capture it so it is mild but i can hear it and i know it's there).

For playing back tracks of guitar parts I'm learning - or slowing down with Logic, mixed with the guitar sound. It's also great for getting the Axe patch to sound like the original.

Computer and Axe linked via USB, with the audio outputs on both Logic and computer to Axe, and the computer audio input also to Axe, then from Axe Output ! to power amp and speakers. I tend to do recording guitar via the Axe and USB to the computer and DAW, with both dry and wet tracks but have also done it analogue, from Output 1 into a Firewire 2626 - when also recording other instruments live. Haven't tried vocals as Logic's got so many good plugins.

Back
Top Bottom