Axe Tuner and Accuracy?

Karl Houseknecht

Power User
I have a Korg DTR-1000 in my rack that I use because the Axe tuner can be hard to see on bigger stages. The Axe tuner seems to be more stable when tuning in a noisy environment. Although sometimes when the Axe tuner says I'm dead on, the Korg displays that I'm off. Anyway, I'm going to test this out with some pitch generation tools, but what I'd really like here is a tuner with a larger display in my rack, and one that is both accurate and as stable as the Axe tuner. Any thoughts on what I could upgrade to?

Karl Houseknecht said:
I have a Korg DTR-1000 in my rack that I use because the Axe tuner can be hard to see on bigger stages. The Axe tuner seems to be more stable when tuning in a noisy environment. Although sometimes when the Axe tuner says I'm dead on, the Korg displays that I'm off. Anyway, I'm going to test this out with some pitch generation tools, but what I'd really like here is a tuner with a larger display in my rack, and one that is both accurate and as stable as the Axe tuner. Any thoughts on what I could upgrade to?

I don't know that I can suggest a different tuner, but would a pedalboard that displays the Axe-FX's tuner meet your need?

Karl Houseknecht said:
Not sure I'm wanting to replace my current controller, GCP. I like it. What one do you have in mind?

I'm also interested in this. I had the same Korg tuner, but I'm getting rid of it to grab a case for my Axe. What controllers can display the Axe's tuner capabilities?

The liquid foot supports tuner information to be sent to the pedalboard's display. As will the MFC-101 whenever it comes out.

Good night! The LF Pro is $900. Nice board, but gee whiz. Not worth that kind of money just to get tuner display.

Yeah, I'd thought about the MFC-101, and I understand it's around the corner. But so is Christmas.

I forget the exact numbers but I did look into at one point and the Axe-FX tuner is more accurate than than any of the Korg rack mount tuners.

Can the Korg tuner be calibrated? I had one a long time ago and liked it.

I actually modified it slightly. They use really cheap parts and I was using it as a buffer since in those days I was using a Triaxis which has a high output impedance. I bought it used and whenever the display would cross the center point you could hear an audible click in the audio because they omitted all the bypass caps to save money (bean counters, ugh). So I replaced the op-amps with some Analog Devices parts and populated the bypass capacitors. It was pretty decent after that.

I seem to recall calibrating it somehow.

It is able to be calibrated. Will run a tone generator into it and through it into the Axe to see how they compare accuracy wise. The spec on the Korg DTR-1000 is +/- 1 cent. For what it's worth, Cliff, I don't hear any audible clicking or anything else. This does appear to be their latest revision of the device.

Okay, I ran the test. 440 hz into the Korg, then into the front input of the Axe. The Axe tuner remained stable, locked on to the A, showing dead center. The Korg, however, while the center indicator was lit, showed drift sharp and flat every now and then...just a hair in either direction.

So I don't know what to make of it. Either the Axe tuner is not right. Or the Korg tuner is crap. I tend to believe the latter, because how can their be drift on a standard 440hz reference tone?

Okay, so what next? I tested higher notes. Everything was fine until I got to the Eb above A440. On that note, the Korg measures dead on and the Axe measures sharp, with only the right arrow displayed. E measures okay. F measures sharp. F# okay. G is sharp on the Axe. Ab is fine. A an octave up is okay.

I'm using a tone generator plugin that came with Reaper: the JS: Synthesis/tonegenerator

If I adjust by -1 cent on those troubled notes, then the Axe tuner reads in tune, and so does the Korg (which was reading in tune to begin with)

Help?

Hiya Karl,

While Cliff can confirm or deny here (and clarify my point), I am led to believe each unit has some variance in accuracy (from unit to unit). Now I don't know if this was fixed in the whole update Cliff made to the tuner, but on the whole, I trust the Axe-FX Tuner (IMHO YMMV!!). I have a Peterson Strobostomp and a Stroboflip, and both tell me the Axe is accurate.

I have a little Korg tuner too. Good for quick tune-ups for conducting guitar lessons, but no more than that.

TimmyM
PS. I recommend Peterson tuners. Worth the dollars IMHO YMMV.

Korg Tuner is crap. I have a dtr1000 and the Axe tuner is much better. Korg tuner adds so much noise I had to run it on a GCX audio switcher to keep it out of my signal path.
Nice big display is nice but even on a large stage to walk 30 ft or so dont take long to do and tune.

I don't find the Korg noisy at all. My only complaint is that it seemed different from the Axe tuner on certain notes and maybe a little less stable when locking on to the pitch.

But if the Korg tuner is indeed crap, then how come the Axe shows sharp for certain notes coming from a tone generator when the Korg doesn't?

mateo_sanchez said:
[quote="Karl Houseknecht":10kqx5jp]Not sure I'm wanting to replace my current controller, GCP. I like it. What one do you have in mind?

I'm also interested in this. I had the same Korg tuner, but I'm getting rid of it to grab a case for my Axe. What controllers can display the Axe's tuner capabilities?[/quote:10kqx5jp]

The Gordius Little Giant does it, very clearly.

Not enough IA's on that Gordius. And the big model is $1000 US plus $100 shipping! Weird looking controller. If I'm going to pay that cash, I'd order a liquid foot. Or wait for the Fractal offering.

Karl Houseknecht said:
Not enough IA's on that Gordius. And the big model is $1000 US plus $100 shipping! Weird looking controller. If I'm going to pay that cash, I'd order a liquid foot. Or wait for the Fractal offering.

i have one. Yes, it looks a bit special. Don't let looks deceive, it's the most advanced and versatile controller on the market. I love it as much as I love the Axe. Regarding IA's: two complete banks that can be filled with IA's are always just one click away, at any moment.

TimmyM said:
Hiya Karl,

While Cliff can confirm or deny here (and clarify my point), I am led to believe each unit has some variance in accuracy (from unit to unit). Now I don't know if this was fixed in the whole update Cliff made to the tuner, but on the whole, I trust the Axe-FX Tuner (IMHO YMMV!!). I have a Peterson Strobostomp and a Stroboflip, and both tell me the Axe is accurate.

I have a little Korg tuner too. Good for quick tune-ups for conducting guitar lessons, but no more than that.

TimmyM
PS. I recommend Peterson tuners. Worth the dollars IMHO YMMV.

+ on this... Peterson is the standard for guiatr tuners. I have never see a bench tech without one, weather it be analog or digital. I have the same strob stomp and have compaired it to the Axe and it is always dead on. I was looking at the Rack mount version but once I racked Axe in the board I have now I didn't have a need for it.

Yep, I am looking at the Peterson rack version too. Expensive for a tuner, but not horrible if I sell my Korg to fund a good chunk of it. Plus it could help out not only in performance, but in the maintenance and setup department too.

And it has a cool scrolling message option. :D

Still, I have a concern as to why the Axe tuner detects certain notes from a tone generator as sharp. I'm wondering about the generator itself. Maybe I need to find a different one?

FWIW, I had the Korg tuner for many years. When I got my Axe I also changed the tuner for a Stroborack. This is MUCH better than the Korg.

While comparing, I found that the Axe was JUST as accurate as the Peterson. My main problem with the Axe tuner is the same as the OP, ie its a small display on a stage.

I needed some cash recenrly for a new Guitar cab and Power amp, and as the new power amp was 1U bigger than my old one - I let my Stoborack go. I felt the Axe tuner was just as good and Id put up with the smaller display.

I do miss my Peterson, but not from an actual tuning point of view. I will either revert to the Peterson at some point - OR replace my controler with the MFC once it appears. Hopefully with the tuner display at my feet I wont miss the nice big rack tuners.

TimmyM said:
I have a Peterson Strobostomp and a Stroboflip, and both tell me the Axe is accurate.

I have a Strobostomp before my Ultra. I have used various Peterson tuners for almost a decade and I trust them. I have tuned with the Peterson and checked with the Axe and tuned with the Axe and checked with the Peterson. In my testing, both are equally accurate. I would not hesitate to use either and trust that the results are dead-on accurate.

Back
Top Bottom