Axe thru Studio Monitors: What are you using?

Focal SoloBE. Very distortionless to the point that might be misleading because

in comparison, almost all monitors add a little harmonic distortion in the hi mids when pushed so you think you got 2K but you really don't . It's the monitor distorting the 1K

Solo6's don't have this. The only differentiation in sound you get at different levels is due to the fletcher munson curve.

They are also a very pleasing set of speakers to listen music with. Much much more than Genelec's i.e

Last but no least , they are loud enough to get you into trouble with neibours :)

Last edited:
M-Audio Stereophile AV40's. Not because I think they're the best, but because they keep the lady happy for now. :D The lack of bass response is ok (pretty sharp roll-off around 80 Hz) as I tend to high-pass guitars above that point anyway.

When not using those, I get much better sonics from my Atomic. I have the horn roughly at ear level, so I get a good, direct sound with reduced "in the room" characteristics. Helps when tweaking patches for recording.

I have mackie mr5's and I really like them. no head phone but I run the mackie's on the main out of my interface and it has a headphone jack.

Dynaudio BM5A - Completely in love. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine tone this good at these volumes, so much fun

I have the chance to get a pair of genelec 8040 or a pair of adam a7. I read alot about the a7´s, only positiv stuff. In our Studio we work with adam p22 and sub. and we are very satisfied. what about the 8040 for axe fx use for homerecording, preprodcution?

I use a pair of Adam A7X monitors. Sounds great!

I used to have a pair of Mackie MR5 monitors, but the lows on those were too muddy.

Last edited:
I have Dynaudio BM6a's in the studio.
Had them 10 years now- know them very well.
Axe sounds great through them.

I have the chance to get a pair of genelec 8040 or a pair of adam a7. I read alot about the a7´s, only positiv stuff. In our Studio we work with adam p22 and sub. and we are very satisfied. what about the 8040 for axe fx use for homerecording, preprodcution?

I own a pair of the 8040A's and they are spectacular. These are expensive monitors of course but if price isn't a big deal I highly recommend them. I've owned the MackieHr824's and the Genelecs sound better to me. Also I'm working in a smallish bedroom studio so the size works well. The Axe FX shines through.

Focal CMS 50 for me, the best damn monitors you can get for 1500$ a pair!! What you ear is what you get, no surprise when you listen to your mix on the car radio or whatever, those monitors tells you the truth everytime!!!

Back
Top Bottom