Axe thru Studio Monitors: What are you using?

Audioengine A5's. I just replaced my KRK's with them and they sound AMAZING. They drop off at 50Hz and the response curve has a dip at 100Hz so they aren't "true" monitors. However, they sound surprisingly great with the Axe and I've found that my FRFR patches don't need any tweaking or EQ when going through them. I use my QSC HPR122i's for FRFR.

A pair of Yamaha HS80M's with no sub.

To my ears they were the standouts in terms of being able to pick out every single instrument in a mix without having to strain. Plus I got a stupid deal on them, but even before I was able to wheel and deal they won hands down for my tastes in a shootout at the local GC in their listening room.

The only thing that sucks is that between them and my Saffire 24DSP Pro all of my MP3's now sound like garbage. Every artifact stands out like a sore thumb. I tell myself that for critical listening that is a good thing, but for just listening for pleasure there's some work involved to make it happen.

Focal CMS 50's with the CMS sub.
(they sound good without the sub)
Very revealing and good sounding monitors IMHO.
My Ultra sounds great through them

Per

Behringer B2030A.. not the most expensive ones, but I like 'em. If I create create patches with these at medium volume, I can be pretty much sure it sounds horrible at loud volume through my active RCF 12" at the rehearsal place.. icepicky. Should probably replace the RCF with something else anyway as soon as I finally get my AFX2.

I run the Adam A7x combined with an Atomic active wedge. Kind of a strange combination but it sure sounds great to me.

Just ordered a pair of Dynaudio BM15A monitors. These are for Near/Mid field use and can cover a larger sweet area. 9.5" 200wLF/100wHF. Heard these and fell in love with the HUGE full spectrum sound they provide - Will report back with AXE-FX results. Upgrading from Event TR8's.
Took advantage of Guitar Center's 15% Memorial Day Discount on a sale price already reduced 18%. Deal I could not refuse. 30 Days now to make sure these are a match for my needs. I think they will be.

Curious about delving into the studio realm. Interested in trying out some
good quality studio monitors (JBL 4328, Adam A7, Yamaha HS80, Rockit V's, etc.).
What are those of you who are piping Axe's thru monitors using as a setup?

You know, Smilefan, there are moments where I think I would be happy just using two quality studio monitors instead of this whole power to whatever cab. The thing that stopped me from going that route was worry about damage to the monitors. They all look like they can be easily damaged in the front. Now, I don't gig, but I hate the idea of spending a good chunk of change on quality equipment that I could accidently just bump into and make a big dent in the cone.

How can nice studio monitors be protected at home? Ideas?

Just ordered a pair of Dynaudio BM15A monitors. These are for Near/Mid field use and can cover a larger sweet area. 9.5" 200wLF/100wHF. Heard these and fell in love with the HUGE full spectrum sound they provide - Will report back with AXE-FX results. Upgrading from Event TR8's.

Nice. These have excellent response down to 30hz. I love mine. BIG step up from the TR8's.

You know, Smilefan, there are moments where I think I would be happy just using two quality studio monitors instead of this whole power to whatever cab. The thing that stopped me from going that route was worry about damage to the monitors. They all look like they can be easily damaged in the front. Now, I don't gig, but I hate the idea of spending a good chunk of change on quality equipment that I could accidently just bump into and make a big dent in the cone.

How can nice studio monitors be protected at home? Ideas?

I heard a Youtube video by our own craigginshred with someone getting a nice
home/apt friendly sound out of cheap little KrK Rokit 5's:

YouTube - ‪Axe Fx Atomic wedge compared to KrK monitors‬‏

Made me wonder how a set of pro quality studio monitors would sound.
For me, this would have to be in addition to a powerful stage rig.
But it would be nice to have some 2AM speakers for my practice area
(the headphone-equipped Axe II may answer this desire).

My new set of monitors will be delivered today: Neumann (formerly Klein+Hummel) KH 120 A. Looking forward to checking them out.

Unfortunately, no Axe-FX II in sight... yet.

A pair of Yamaha HS80M's with no sub.

To my ears they were the standouts in terms of being able to pick out every single instrument in a mix without having to strain. Plus I got a stupid deal on them, but even before I was able to wheel and deal they won hands down for my tastes in a shootout at the local GC in their listening room.

The only thing that sucks is that between them and my Saffire 24DSP Pro all of my MP3's now sound like garbage. Every artifact stands out like a sore thumb. I tell myself that for critical listening that is a good thing, but for just listening for pleasure there's some work involved to make it happen.

I have HS80m's as well. Love them to death, but don't agree with the MP3 sentiments. My iTunes library sounds better with the HS80's than it ever did with my previous monitors or speakers. Could just be a deficiency in the previous speakers I was using, but I think the HS80's sound amazing for casual listening as well as critical listening.

Back
Top Bottom