Axe through RCF NX 12-SMA

Cooper Carter

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
I had the opportunity to play the Axe-Fx II through one of these for a good while yesterday, and my mind is blown. I've played the Axe through the Matrix into a great cab, through several very good PAs, and, most frequently, through my stereo Mackie powered wedge setup in the studio. Compared to all of these, the RCF was a night and day difference. Well, ok, that may be a bit intense, but it was at least a twilight and day difference ;-)

For anyone who hasn't played through one of these, I highly recommended trying to find one to demo. At ~$1300 it's an expensive piece of gear to buy outright simply to try, but I doubt anyone would be disappointed if you did do that.

I wanted to share my thoughts on this for the benefit of those on here who may have had feelings that the Axe doesn't *quite* do the real, amp-in-the-room feel. I also want to encourage those rare people who complain or are dissatisfied with their Axe to try it through a monitor of a like high quality. The Axe is top shelf gear that deserves to be heard *through* top quality gear.

When I turned on the RCF, I immediately experienced a marked increase in sustain, touch sensitivity, ability to clean up via the volume knob while maintaining tube amp punch, and note clarity. It was just sick, really, how good it sounded. I haven't exactly been playing through shoddy speakers thus far, but the difference was stunning.

So in short, the Axe sounds phenomenal through anything, but if you get a chance to try it through one of these monitors, you're going to really see (hear) how insanely powerful the box we have is.

(I am not trying to sell anything, I don't have any affiliation with RCF. Etc, etc.)

That seems to be an impression shared by a lot of people on the forums. Luckily for me, in two days, I hope to be one of them (although with the your brother, RCF NX-10)! Btw, AXE does NOT "sound phenomenal through anything". I've run it a day or two through my Blackstar HT-5 head as poweramp while waiting for the real thing. Let's just say it wasn't an overly pleasant combination.

i have two 10's and i have to say it's a wonderful experience in stereo. i've been playing in stereo since the early 90's, but the rcf's have such a transparent sound, that the stereo image you get is amazing. the fx just sound stellar. and i'm not the sort of person who just uses a bit of chorus and ping pong delay, either....although they sound immaculate as well...try the ac30 with a fet boost in front for some grit and the 2290 setting in the delay block...you'll be in heaven! :)

Thanks for the input guys. I am actually sitting on an email in my "drafts" box to order an NX12SMA... hoping to compare it to the Matrix and CLR speakers that are allegedly on the horizon. Honestly, I think it's time to just order the RCF and cover and be done with the wait. I have trouble imagining the new Atomic and Matrix could sound that much superior (if at all), and I am anxious to get past the "move two feet and the sound changes" nature of my current Atomic cab.

Welcome.... ;) :D The RCF NX 12-SMA has been my solution for some months now and it has been nothing but a totally professional level solution. IMHO, when I heard this monitor, the bar had been set. Period.

Somethings are just simply worth the price tag. The RCF is more than worth the price tag and then some.

Add it to something as professional level as the Axe-FX and you get your cake and icing and ice cream.... though you can't eat your gear, it is worth every penny. It's that good a combination.

Comeback to my tube power amp and cabs .... but, i love this monitors too, I use them now for my roland gr55, synths and acoustic tones.

we shall see :)

Yeah, but the RCF is twice the price of the Matrix wedge and I already have an amp to drive it, I'd really have to hear them both to decide. The other one to hear is the D&B (either the MAX or the M4), just for kicks, but price of the D&B is going to be crazy high. Those are the ones on my "must hear" list, I'm only really interested in hearing coaxials, as I want to lose the "move 3 feet, sounds different" effect. Anyone got any other suggestions?

Yes, the D&B is crazy expensive and you need their amping, too.
Sounds great, but the RCF is not too far away IMO. I heard them side by side.

Yeah, but the RCF is twice the price of the Matrix wedge and I already have an amp to drive it, I'd really have to hear them both to decide. The other one to hear is the D&B (either the MAX or the M4), just for kicks, but price of the D&B is going to be crazy high. Those are the ones on my "must hear" list, I'm only really interested in hearing coaxials, as I want to lose the "move 3 feet, sounds different" effect. Anyone got any other suggestions?
I'm not holding out a lot of hope for a better price, really. The new passive Matrix is over $800 so I have to assume the powered version (which I understand will have a more expensive speaker) will be in the same price range as the RCF. I haven't heard any pricing at all on the CLR, but again, I don't expect miracles price-wise. Time to contact Mike, methinks...

Yes, the D&B is crazy expensive and you need their amping, too.
Sounds great, but the RCF is not too far away IMO. I heard them side by side.

I'm using a D&B Max 12 with an Epac amp. Sounds great, but I'm curious as to your views between the RCF 10's and the Max 12. Waddayathink?

@ BBN: sent PM with the Matrix info so as not to fill up this thread :)

Short answer: The launch price is $829 including delivery to the USA and £596 inclusive of VAT and delivery within the UK.

Impatience has won the day (along with behind schedule releases from the competition): Email sent to Mike at Audiopyle; I'll be ordering the RCF 12.

UPDATE: RCF NX12SMA and cover on order! Review to follow...

Last edited:
I'm using a D&B Max 12 with an Epac amp. Sounds great, but I'm curious as to your views between the RCF 10's and the Max 12. Waddayathink?

I don't know. I heard the 12-SMA and the M4 side by side. The downsides of the M4 (passive, weight) are bigger to me than the small sound difference (maybe in favour for the M4). The D&B is a perfect touring solution for PA companies, incl. the perfect support from D&B.
For me as a musician the RCF is the better choice.

Rick said:
Impatience has won the day (along with behind schedule releases from the competition): Email sent to Mike at Audiopyle; I'll be ordering the RCF 12.

UPDATE: RCF NX12SMA and cover on order! Review to follow...

That's awesome Rick! I totally get where you're coming from, let me know how it turns out!

Do they make passive versions?

I sold my Matrix amp months ago and my 4x12 cabs remain covered for a pair of RCF Nx12's. Portability, sonic superiority and did I say they sound killer? I got an e-mail from matrix regarding their passive wedges. I bet they sound very good, However, having a slimed down rack without the power amp is very key for me as the RCF's contain a 750 w amp with a plethora of head room.

Back
Top Bottom