Axe sounds different when recorded?

Volvagia

So my Axe Fx tones sound a lot different when recorded through USB than they do when I'm just jamming through my speakers.. I find that it sounds a lot brighter/twangy and less warm sounding. I usually have to tweak it to sound more like it did before. Anyone else have this issue?

Are you recording in 48000? I've had this problem before when reaper defaults to 44000

What I do is I take the clean signal of my recorded guitars that were recorded at I think 44 which is what Pro Tools defaults to I believe, then I import the tracks to a new session using Sample Rate Conversion and reamp them but the tones sound a lot different

Hmm, I'm not too familiar with pro-tools, but I would say in the conversion rate part of that chain something might getting messed with.
Can you do anything like override the default sample rate and see if that's any different? In reaper I do something like check 'allow over-ride sample rate', but I have to do this every time I start reaper

Also, I've tricked myself before by playing the tracks while recording louder than the playback sound setting, which messed with my perception of the sound (if that makes sense)

Hmm now that you mention it, I think it could be a sample rate issue. I'm not sure what "override the sample rate" means though.

I'm not sure what it means in pro tools, but in Reaper there's a specific option with that title. It tells the DAW to use that sample rate for all recording

With studio one you can select the sample rate in the set up drop down and it saves it for the interface you are connected to. so for me every time I connect the axe fx it is already set to 48.

Is this just for single-tracked guitars? If you are doubling and panning I always find the tone sounds slightly different this way and you need to compensate when dialling in.

Hate to resurrect this thread, but I've recently run into this problem as well.

Has anyone else run into this issue and found a fix?

Same issue, recording is a lot brighter, more pronounced mids. I am in Reaper with a 48k session.

Last edited:
Are you reamping a clean Di?
If so was that clean di recorded from your interfaces preamp or through the axe FX?

When I had this problem I put it down to two things.
1, When listening back I wasn't hearing the actual guitar I was actually playing at the time and sitting in a slightly different position in front of my monitors.
2, I didn't realise I was recording in stereo which made the tone slightly overpowering.

Back
Top Bottom