Axe sound card alternatives

Billbill

Power User
i posted earlier and found out why output 1 clips and presets fart out when using axe as Soundcard while jamming to tracks with headphones via Mac iTunes with axe. I got this presonus audio box thing that I've never actually used. Could this thing be put between axe and Mac so I could still jam to tracks through my headphones? If so, how would I connect this darn thing? Any and all help is appreciated. And in case anyone was wondering why I'm inquiring about a setup for the use of headphones lately it's because I found that the little headphone jack is a Godsend now that I got a newborn at home. Thx
Here's the unit:

Attachments

• IMG_0498.JPG
    IMG_0498.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0499.JPG
    IMG_0499.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I know it's a pain, but just turn the signal down in the output of the preset (or even the USB signal in I/O if you want it globally turned down, I knocked it down a few dbs and it solved the clipping issue) and the itunes volume slider. Seems a lot easier than a whole new setup. All you'll be doing is using the presonus as a mixer anyway.

I currently use the axe as my soundcard and it takes a minute but it's fairly painless to set it up so that the incoming signal from your computer isn't clipping. I jam to backing tracks on youtube all the time and i just turn the volume down until it isn't clipping then turn the axe fx output level until it's a volume you want.

I know it's a pain, but just turn the signal down in the output of the preset (or even the USB signal in I/O if you want it globally turned down, I knocked it down a few dbs and it solved the clipping issue) and the itunes volume slider. Seems a lot easier than a whole new setup. All you'll be doing is using the presonus as a mixer anyway.
Yes I've done this to help reduce clipping but it doesn't solve the issue of CPU in presets I use to jam with axe as soundcard. I think I'll just have to experiment without buying cables I don't end up needing which is part of why I posted.

@Moke looking for some of your expertise here. Would putting this box^ between Mac and axe work to eliminate CPU issues and presets farting out when jamming via headphones through the axe? Using axe as soundcard just won't work.

I looked at the manual for your sound card and it appears to only have mic and instrument level inputs. They are not Line level which you need to plug the Axe FX in. They even warn you in the manual about plugging line level into these inputs. They will be too hot. Maybe you can bring the output of the Axe down enough to compensate. If the level is okay, you should be able to use the mixer function to blend your backing tracks withe the axe FX and listen through the Phones output. Ideally you should have a soundcard with line level inputs. I'm surprised yours doesn't have that.

Last edited:
I looked at the manual for your sound card and it appears to only have mic and instrument level inputs. They are not Line level which you need to plug the Axe FX in. They even warn you in the manual about plugging line level into these inputs. They will be too hot. Maybe you can bring the output of the Axe down enough to compensate. If the level is okay, you should be able to use the mixer function to blend your backing tracks withe the axe FX and listen through the Phones output. Ideally you should have a soundcard with line level inputs. I'm surprised yours doesn't have that.
Man I didn't even realize that!! Completely overlooked the line level thing. Thank you!! That little soundcard is a cheapo but still I wish it had strong enough inputs. I'm going to research more about the axe main output as you suggested. Thanks again man I really appreciate your help!

Actually the inputs are too strong for the Axe output. There are a few interfaces that cost $50 more that allow mic/instrument/line inputs. Basically the line level input bypasses the preamp in the input as it doesn't need it.

Actually the inputs are too strong for the Axe output. There are a few interfaces that cost $50 more that allow mic/instrument/line inputs. Basically the line level input bypasses the preamp in the input as it doesn't need it.
The axe outputs at line level so how are the sound cards inputs too strong? Sorry trying to learn

Line level is a higher level than Instrument and Mic. A mic or instrument has to be boosted thus the interface has a preamp in it to bring the level of the mic or instrument up. A line level doesn't need to be boosted so if it goes through the pre-amp it will get boosted to a level where it distorts. You don't want that obviously. There's no way to get into your interface without going through the pre-amps. So what I meant was the inputs are going to boost the line level input from the Axe FX so the input is "too strong".

You may be able to bring the output of the Axe FX down low enough so it doesn't distort. I'm not sure about this, but they do warn in the Audiobox manual about possibly damaging the inputs on the interface. ???

Here's what it says.
"Power User Tip: Active instruments are those that have an internal preamp or a line-level output. Active instruments should be plugged into a line input rather than into an instrument input. Plugging a line-level source into the instrument inputs on the front of the AudioBox USB not only risks damage to these inputs but also results in a very loud and often distorted audio signal. "

I guess that makes you a power user. ;)

@Moke looking for some of your expertise here. Would putting this box^ between Mac and axe work to eliminate CPU issues and presets farting out when jamming via headphones through the axe? Using axe as soundcard just won't work.
Shame if the presonus won't take line level inputs. Might work if you turn everything down?

I'm in the same spot too. I love using the axe as my soundcard it works flawlessly but on too many presets now I'm getting I'm to the problem with CPU farting and those extra 3-5% are getting very valuable.

Scouring e-bay for a deal as I type :) I really NEED one of the new motu 828es interfaces maybe this is the perfect excuse :)

The axe outputs at line level so how are the sound cards inputs too strong? Sorry trying to learn
It's confusion over the use of the word "strong," which isn't really a term that's used for inputs...because of the resulting confusion. :)

You're using "strong" to mean "able to handle hot inputs signals." @bondsong is using the same word to mean "too much gain to handle hot input signals."

Line level is a higher level than Instrument and Mic. A mic or instrument has to be boosted thus the interface has a preamp in it to bring the level of the mic or instrument up. A line level doesn't need to be boosted so if it goes through the pre-amp it will get boosted to a level where it distorts. You don't want that obviously. There's no way to get into your interface without going through the pre-amps. So what I meant was the inputs are going to boost the line level input from the Axe FX so the input is "too strong".

You may be able to bring the output of the Axe FX down low enough so it doesn't distort. I'm not sure about this, but they do warn in the Audiobox manual about possibly damaging the inputs on the interface. ???

Here's what it says.
"Power User Tip: Active instruments are those that have an internal preamp or a line-level output. Active instruments should be plugged into a line input rather than into an instrument input. Plugging a line-level source into the instrument inputs on the front of the AudioBox USB not only risks damage to these inputs but also results in a very loud and often distorted audio signal. "

I guess that makes you a power user. ;)
Ahhh I thought that's what you meant just wanted to make sure! Thanks for explaining it in detail. Much appreciated man. I guess now starts the quest for a line level sound card ! \m/

Using the Axe-Fx as an interface is just so much easier. Is there anything you can do to reduce the CPU in your presets just a little more?

I think you have a gain staging issue. I advise you go look up @chris tutorial on this and start from square 1 because there is something fundamentally wrong with what you got going on there that is causing you these issues.

Using the Axe-Fx as an interface is just so much easier. Is there anything you can do to reduce the CPU in your presets just a little more?
Ehh not really @Moke at least what I've already tried while maintaining the sound I'm going for. Tried playing w cab hi res/stereo options, deleted some blocks. The patch has 2 amps and a mulitdelay. I'll have to dig more on reducing CPU.

I think you have a gain staging issue. I advise you go look up @chris tutorial on this and start from square 1 because there is something fundamentally wrong with what you got going on there that is causing you these issues.
@USMC_Trev u may be right. My axe input barely "tickles" the red, and only clips the outs but that was reduced slightly by lowering the USB level in the I/O menu to -10db. Also I've never even looked at the axe UV meters so maybe I must now. What's the ballpark db to be at about -3db or so???

Back
Top Bottom