Axe Problem - HELP !

paulmapp8306

Fractal Fanatic
Any ideas here.

I have just noticed a really funny sound on one of my patches. It sounds like ring modulation, or doubling of notes. It only happens on the Brownface sim, it happens with all my guitars, and also direct recording or through my PA/Cab.

Its not the patch. I can change the amp type of any of my patches to this sim and I get the same. I can put any Axmp sim into the patch I noticed this on with no problems.

Ive created a new patch with just the amp sim and its there. Ive turned all levels down - its still there. It seems to be worse on higher notes, and if I play gently it goes away. Play harder and its back.

I though it may be overloading an OP or somewhere in the patch but I cant see why as no other amp sims do it - and this one does it in all patches.

I re-loaded firmware 9.0 - Still there. Back to 9.02 still there. Ive re-booted 5 times - still there.

Never noticed it before tonight !!!

So - whats wrong :?

Clip:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8815922

I had some patches that would start making electronic sounds and then the axe will lock up.

I haven't read the bug thread ...maybe it is in there already ?

Its getting worse. The double verb sim is showing the same behaviour.

I looked at some pre-sets. The squeeky clean - normally just that, does the same too. If anything thats worse. If I pluck two strings, in a double tap, with my fingers it sounds distorted. In a bad way - almost like digital distortion.

If I back the master down in the amp block it gets better. I do tend to run this high, so I can get power amp break-up simulations. Its almost as if the power amp bit is simulating digital brealup rather than valve break-up.

Im really worried. Just spend £650 on a VHT 2:50:2 and £400 on a Stageclix wireless system (not either of those, same thing with cables and direct recording). AND my car is goosed - need a new one. Really dont have ANY funds left for Axe replacements, backups etc.

Not feeling good at all at present.

The Axe hasnt frozen at all yet though.

Re: Weird sounds on clean sims. Ghost notes almost

Looks like its definately my Axe.

Its now on ALL sims. The brighter they are the worse they are. Boutiques are really bad.

It seems to be something to do with the bright cap. Whether thats beacuse it is brighter -so showing more, or if its the cause I cant tell. Suffice to say when the bright is off, I cant hear the effect. When its on - on ALL clean amp sims (presumably on dirt too - though you cant hear it amongst the gain).

It I turn the bright value up, it gets worse.

So either its the bright cap itself - OR the effect is on high freqs - the higher they get the worse the effect gets.

Re: Weird sounds on clean sims. Ghost notes almost

Are your cab sims off? when I turn the cab sims off it sounds remarkably similar to that.

Odder and Odder.

When plugging into the Front input - and Input source set to front, I hear the problem. When I select Input rear -it gets worse. Digital gives me very loud Hash.

When I plug into the rear input, I get the Hash, but quieter. When rear input is selected I get the same effect as in front selected and plgged in the front.

When I plug into the rear, and select front input - I dont seem to hear the effect at all !!!!!

Have you tried to reload 8.xx and see if it's there as well ? You only spoke about going between 9.00 and 9.02, so it might be worth a try just for troubleshooting reasons.

Still there on 8.09

Ive used 9.0 since it came available - and also 9.02 from its release date. Im pretty sure its not firmware related.

The clip was direct (and I dont think it had cab sims on either thinking about it) BUT the problem is there both direct - with or without cab sims , and also with amp/cab.

As I said, the brighter the tone the worse it is. Also the imput settings make a difference. Its got to be something to do with the input - either on the unit (not the actual jacks, but where there routed as it shows on all inputs) OR something with the input sensetivities?

I have heard a similar tonality on old "used" strings in the past (especially the plain unwound strings) when the internal core becomes damaged.

Have you tried a different guitar, or new strings...???

Does it with both my PRSs and my Tele.

When i re-install firmwares (any of them), When it verifies the flash, and it get the near the end of the bar - it pauses (normal) but at this point I get loud white noise (the same noise I get when selecting digita input).

When the flash re-boots the noise goes away, and the axe works - but with the same problem.

I'm a new user and am having a similar problem...get a digital backlash/distorion. I'm using the VHT also. The Axe-FX is so complex I"m not sure....it will go away if I back the input and output volumes down but then so does the distorion.....this happens on the Eruption preset.
I've got so much to learn I'm sure it's some programming setting but still annoying nevertheless.
I think the AxeFX needs a DVD to to help explain it.....hard to learn on your own.

I have got the same thing happening. I have never been able to use the bright switch and just thought is was the nature of the beast with a SC pickup. Both my strats exhibit the same thing. With the bright switch on the hiighs just sound very wrong. I can turn of the bright switch and compensate with a peq and get usable sounds. The more gain I use the worse it gets.

The following is the noise when the digital mode is selected.
[attachment=2:1dv9zz3g]digital noise.mp3[/attachment:1dv9zz3g]

This is the Brown Amp into the blue 2x12 after a bypass button reset. No tweaks at all except the level is adjusted not to clip.
[attachment=1:1dv9zz3g]completly reset brn amp into 2x12 blue.mp3[/attachment:1dv9zz3g]

This is the same patch pre on 3.03 - master 10
[attachment=0:1dv9zz3g]a.mp3[/attachment:1dv9zz3g] :?:

This is straight into my computer

Attachments

• digital noise.mp3
    96.4 KB · Views: 24
  • completly reset brn amp into 2x12 blue.mp3
    96.3 KB · Views: 19
  • a.mp3
    231.7 KB · Views: 17
Sounds like you're clipping the inputs on your soundcard.

But I'm sure you've tried that. But it does sound like a Full Range clipping, not processed by a cab sim. Either your output is clipping, or something after the Axe-FX.

I agree, that's what it sounds like, however, I have checked very carefully and there is no clipping that I can find anywhere; the wave forms don't appear to have any clipping in them either. I sent this to Fractal and they responded within an hour. They suggested a different cab, but other wise everything seemed normal. Now, it is important to realize that I am able to get really excellent sounds using frfr, I just have to tweak - and not use the bright switch for the most part. The Fractal advice seems accurate also; if I run this same preset into a guitar cab via solid-state amp, the hash is greatly diminished, if not present at all. They also said that even though the bright switched comes up with this amp, that doesn't necessarily mean it is needed; in other words, don't use it if it makes the signal too bright - duh. My main amp, an old 50 watt JCM 800 has this cap removed, never liked it. I do like it on non master Marshalls but I always jumper the inputs so I can balance it. I do tend to like this cap in fenders however, so I’m a little surprised. Anyway, I am very happy with the Axe. It is an incredible tone machine but with great power comes great responsibility - it can make some really ugly sounds too!

BTW, I am using an M-Audio Delta 10-10 LT sound card - typically 24 bit 96khz - I guess it is possible that there is some anomaly in the AD conversion at these hi frequencies. This is card is fairly cheap and I have had it for about six years, I think. None of these problems are present when running into the guitar cab. Maybe time to upgrade the sound card! Any thoughts?

Well, I still have the sound.

Its not the Axe (at least a fault with the axe), as G66 had it for several days, A/B ing with other Axes and couldnt find a fault. They replaced the Axe anyway just in case. I still notice the sound. I can only assume its normal, and something to do with my settings.

If I remove the Amp sim, the sound is not there even though the OP is louder. The direct sound is not bright though - so Im assuming its either the emphasised high Freq doing this, OR Im clipping either the Amp block OP or an IP after the Amp block. I have learnd to tune it out and it is better. I still cant hit the strings Hard though with a bright patch.

I would have put it down to my settings much earlier if I hadnt noticed the same thing with the Sqweeky Clean preset.

The only other thing I though of, is some kind of interference. Im close to a wireless internet network, so?.

If you go back to 9.03, check the HF Resonance param in the Advanced params. Should be set to 5.

I can force patches into high end clipping too with a strat or tele. For example: Fender Deluxe or Vox TopBoost, with single coils, Bright switch activated, treble set above 5, master at 8 or more and Drive at 3.5 or more. Using FR Atomics. And a cab sim with a mic that has lots of highs (R121).

But I never set treble above 5 when Bright is ON (except for Plexi and Brown) because that's piercing. Plus I'm using a blocking PEQ at 5.5kHz. That prevents the clipping.

Post the patch so we can take a look at it.

FWIW, I am not using any blocking filters when going to a guitar cab and find that most patches sound good with the tone controls at 12:00 - still not using the bright switch though as it adds a kind of metallic sound to the top to my ears. I am using primarily clean to slightly overdriven sounds and it is when it starts to overdrive that the harsh or metallic sounds starts to happen (with bright switch on). With frfr, the blocking filters solve the problem and I can also use them to brighten up the signal. The hi's I'm noticing as objectionable are very, very hi - way above what is needed for a bright guitar signal.

May I suggest switching bright caps off and limiting the frequency range to about 3k on the input of the amp? Use another peq after amp and cab to add the correct brightness for the volume you are playing at. I cut the hi end within the amp block itself (hi cut in advanced tab -this is my preferred method - don't be afraid to bring it down low) I can still maintain a snappy hi end without any harshness using this method.
This applies primarily to the fender sims as these are the ones that my current playing situation requires and therefore the ones I have the most experience with.
Paul, are the sounds you are hearing similar to the sounds I posted?

Also, the noise on the digital output is normal when there is no digital input to provide a clock source -as per fractal audio.

Back
Top Bottom