Axe-PC?

mortega76

Fractal Fanatic
Now that Axe-Edit REQUIRES the Axe-fx II hardware to be plugged in for it to work... will we be seeing Axe-PC and have the Axe-fx II be a 'dongle' of sorts? This would be freakin' awesome, that way we would have to be tied down to 24-bit/48Khz or ASIO.

Now that Axe-Edit REQUIRES the Axe-fx II hardware to be plugged in for it to work... will we be seeing Axe-PC and have the Axe-fx II be a 'dongle' of sorts? This would be freakin' awesome, that way we would have to be tied down to 24-bit/48Khz or ASIO.

I am totally for an Axe with CPU and IO only (just spdif, usb, and midi work for me although if aggregate devices actually worked, I'd even prefer to lose the spdif). This of course requires a fully functional Axe-Edit which still seems to be a ways off.... then it's questionable how much smaller the box could actually be... could it fit in a 1U half space? That would be killer. I always have them attached to a computer and do not need the front panel.

I really doubt Cliff and company would ever want to have smaller 'box'... I would think that the prerequisite would have to be having the Axe-fx II connected for it to actually work. That way, it doesn't cut into any hardware sales, in fact... it would boost hardware sales.

I really doubt Cliff and company would ever want to have smaller 'box'...

Maybe we misunderstood each other. Now I understand that you want Axe-PC that takes advantage of the host CPU instead. My post was about a smaller axefx (hardware) without front panel interface and less UI with Axe-Edit as a controller. That would sell like crazy if it were small... like a 1U half rack.

So back to your point. Eventually that could happen but Cliff has stated that the power of the Sharc chips is preferable to the desktop CPU's. Considering how poorly Axe-Edit has been going, I doubt this will happen soon even though it would be cool.

Yup, with the amount of work in Axe-Edit and yet a disappointing result I doubt Axe-PC is more than far away wishful thinking.

I'd use my (hardware) Axe-Fx for processing anyway, so I don't need Axe-PC.

Some kind of VST plugin of Axe-Edit which could store patches directly in the DAW software would be nice though. Everything would be "in the box", no seperate patch saving or managing needed.

I really, REALLY, REALLY do not want to rely on Microsoft Windows for a gig. My band would have to practice bantering while I reboot.

That shit would get pirated. Also, the DSP's form Analog Devices do such a better job at processing sound than your average Intel architecture could. I used to recruit DSP engineers and placed a few Analog Devices folks. They do some really ridiculously amazing work. Intel's architecture is for general computing and just can't match a DSP for the kind of performance that a music rig calls for.

Digital signal processor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Hardware features visible through DSP instruction sets commonly include:
Hardware modulo addressing, allowing circular buffers to be implemented without having to constantly test for wrapping.
A memory architecture designed for streaming data, using DMA extensively and expecting code to be written to know about cache hierarchies and the associated delays.
Driving multiple arithmetic units may require memory architectures to support several accesses per instruction cycle
Separate program and data memories (Harvard architecture), and sometimes concurrent access on multiple data busses
Special SIMD (single instruction, multiple data) operations
Some processors use VLIW techniques so each instruction drives multiple arithmetic units in parallel
Special arithmetic operations, such as fast multiply–accumulates (MACs). Many fundamental DSP algorithms, such as FIR filters or the Fast Fourier transform (FFT) depend heavily on multiply–accumulate performance.
Bit-reversed addressing, a special addressing mode useful for calculating FFTs
Special loop controls, such as architectural support for executing a few instruction words in a very tight loop without overhead for instruction fetches or exit testing
Deliberate exclusion of a memory management unit. DSPs frequently use multi-tasking operating systems, but have no support for virtual memory or memory protection. Operating systems that use virtual memory require more time for context switching among processes, which increases latency."

I wouldn't mind seeing a purely computer or tablet controlled version of the Axe-Fx, meaning that there would be nothing but power button and volume knobs on the front panel and the hardware itself would be in a small audio interface sized enclosure. This would allow for a more elaborate UI as it wouldn't be constrained to replicating the hardware UI as Axe-Edit does now.

Back
Top Bottom