Axe PC

Simone said:
I've seen the interface is basically an improved Axe-edit, shouldn't that be available to the old axe user for free?
It's not asking much really, I mean the interface alone, decoupled from the VST, or rather I would keep the VST shell (so to be able to use it in Cubase or the like while, say, reamping) but only sending signals to the Axe-fx. To be fair, I don't even care for the VST engine...I guess running these algorithms on a dedicated machine is soooo much better.
Bye

Simone

While I would LOVE this, it just won't happen. Cliff has put too much work into this, including the interface that it will come with. He's hinted at a reduced price for Axe-FX owners, but not even that is set in stone.

Well, a reduction on an expensive thing usually doesn't make it cheap and - in all honesty - why the heck would I buy the VST if I have the real thing on a dedicated hardware? All I care for is a means of commanding that external hardware via pc, which boils downs to sending the appropriate signals.
I could give it a 50 bucks, say. But I need no VST, and won't buy one.
Though I think for the price we paid we deserve it for free.

Simone said:

Don't agree. For one thing, the price we pay is IMO more than fair, as far as I'm concerned, it is an incredible value. For what we ALREADY get (constant updates, free support and almost unlimited warranty support), I don't think it's unreasonable for Fractal to ask for compensation for over a year of work on a PC version.

It is a separate product, after all.

Simone said:
Well, a reduction on an expensive thing usually doesn't make it cheap and - in all honesty - why the heck would I buy the VST if I have the real thing on a dedicated hardware? All I care for is a means of commanding that external hardware via pc, which boils downs to sending the appropriate signals.

Why would you think you deserve it for free? You paid for an AxeFx and that's exactly what you got. Nothing more is owed to you and you certainly don't "deserve" anything more. Did Fractal promise you something more when you bought your AxeFx? Did they tell you that someday they would provide you with a software version for free (or anything else for that matter)?

p

Simone said:

Sometimes people are just spoiled. The Axe-Fx is a great product and IMHO worth every penny, would you ask, say Roland, Eventide or Yamaha for a free PC-Version of, say the Eclipse or VG-99? I bet you wouldn't.
You should be grateful for every update that is for free!
Sometimes it's better to just sh*t up and play yer guitar...

I don't think we "deserve" anything...I do think it's a bit odd from a business perspective.

Owners of the Axe already have the sounds. The VST would be a convenience. But if I have to use the unit as a security dongle then all that convenience is gone.

I think this again goes back to the piracy thing which I've beaten to death here...it's going to happen no matter what. Internet activation is fine but requiring the unit is not a good idea. Line 6 did the same thing and people were not happy about it.

I say just charge a pro price for the VST (500 and up) with a discount for Axe owners. Use an ilok and call it done.

I want to use the VST at home and keep my axe ultra at rehearsal space...that's why I'd buy the VST.

I'm a bit confused on what Simone is asking. By 'interface', I think he just means the graphic user interface of Axe-PC. My interpretation is that he just wants the same GUI for Axe-Edit that Axe-PC will have. I was under the impression that this was already the case (am I mistaken?). He isn't asking for the VST version for free.

He may also want the ability to automate the parameter changes in the editor as you can with a VST plugin when using a sequencer. While I would hope the PC version will support VST automation (so I could draw automation envelopes in a sequence like I now do for all my plugins), I will have already inserted all of the midi control info I require into my sequences for my hardware Axe-FX by the time Axe-PC is released (if ever). I also won't use Axe-Edit because I believe it will perpetually lag the firmware (which is actually a good thing in the big picture).

This is in reference to why Axe PC will not be free to Axe owners. Last I read, the software will only work with a specific interface from Fractal. That would be the main reason it won't be free and also puts piracy out of the equation. Plus it will ensure that the plug in sounds great on any system.

Simone, I believe I understand what you are saying. NOWHERE did you say you wanted Axe-PC for free. As I understand it, you would like the GUI of the editor (same as Axe-Edit) to appear as though it was a VST plugin within your DAW or sequencer, making it easy to use. Then any control manipulations could be recorded in a track with VST automation (or even midi or sysex info) and/or sent to the Axe-FX via a midi connection. Or you could even draw automation envelops in your tracks and have the controls respond.

Although this is already possible to a certain degree with Axe-Edit and standard midi commands, having the editor integrated into the host might be easier in many instances than a standalone from the user's point of view. You'd just be controlling the hardware unit instead of software in your computer. You would obviously need to connect the Axe-FX in a soundcard loop to use it like a plugin.

The posts about you being 'spoiled' or feeling entitled to something are unjustified because they are attacking you for something you never said. Apparently, reading comprehension is an endangered skill.

steadystate said:
He isn't asking for the VST version for free.

steadystate said:
"Simone, I believe I understand what you are saying. NOWHERE did you say you wanted Axe-PC for free....."

..."The posts about you being 'spoiled' or feeling entitled to something are unjustified because they are attacking you for something you never said. Apparently, reading comprehension is an endangered skill"

Simone said:
...But I need no VST, and won't buy one.

danielodland said:
steadystate said:
He isn't asking for the VST version for free.

steadystate said:
"Simone, I believe I understand what you are saying. NOWHERE did you say you wanted Axe-PC for free....."

..."The posts about you being 'spoiled' or feeling entitled to something are unjustified because they are attacking you for something you never said. Apparently, reading comprehension is an endangered skill"

Simone said:

He isn't talking about Axe-PC. He said time and time again that all he wants is a means of communication between the vst editor and his Axe-FX. If you had quoted the entire paragraph he wrote instead of that sliver, that would be obvious. Taking things out of context does no one any good.

I'm not trying to start an argument. I just think his intentions are clear if you read all of the thread. If you want to believe he wants Axe-PC for free, then by all means do so.

Thanks Steadystate for taking my side in my absence.
Your interpretation is indeed what I meant since the beginning...though I don't blame the ones who attacked me, I wrote in one go and apparently most people mistook my words.
So, when I spoke of "interface", I referred to Graphical User Interface: what I would like to have is best described by Steadystate words, that is I

steadystate said:
would like the GUI of the editor (same as Axe-Edit) to appear as though it was a VST plugin within your DAW or sequencer, making it easy to use. Then any control manipulations could be recorded in a track with VST automation (or even midi or sysex info) and/or sent to the Axe-FX via a midi connection. Or you could even draw automation envelops in your tracks and have the controls respond

and most of all thanks Steadystate for getting my point

steadystate said:
NOWHERE did you say you wanted Axe-PC for free

I don't want it even if you pay me to have it! My pc is already blowing up the way it is :lol:
What I'd kindly ask of Fractal instead is to make available the GUI as a remote controller for our Axe-fx, which I deem inexpensive for them as it has been with Axe-Edit.
I hope you people won't find my demands so unreasonable, and please do forgive me for statements that you might have perceived as too strong.

I agree that would be nice and that it makes sense to do, but I politely disagree with the implication that we are owed anything at all even if it is 'just a GUI controller'.
You seem to have gotten into the kindly ask so I'm cool with that but as a developer I appreciate that continuing development does require a revenue stream.

The Axe has been far and away the highest value after the sale music item I have ever bought. There's not a close second. Its staggering.
That it was not inexpensive up front is entirely relative.

Happy Friday,

Paul

I'd pay for this feature. If I could connect the Axe-FX to my PC with midi cables and control it from the VST editor as though it was Axe-PC, with full VST automation, without Axe-PC existing on my computer taking up resources, I'd gladly pay for it. How much would depend on my financial situation at the time.

I don't know if this is even possible or practical. Axe-Edit is lagging the Axe-FX firmware. Axe-PC may not be identical to Axe-FX. I feel safer using the front panel for all editing. I can't afford unexpected bugs or surprises.

Guys....I've read this whole thread a couple times. I have indeed read Simone's posts thoroughly, that was just how I interpreted it. I did take the statements out of context, because when I quote, I do so because I want to respond to something in particular. I assume that new readers would read the original post if something is unclear.

Anyway, lets stick to the topic. The editor IS for free, the VST is not, nor should it. And yeah, as someone has already stated, the AxeFX is rather inexpensive when you look at what you get. You cant compare it to lower end stuff, and when you start looking at the real competition, the price of the AxeFX is in fact quite attractive. So I dont think we should assume too much free stuff to come with it. Still, it does. The FW updates are insane, and there is an editor. AFAIK, the editor works fine.

I must admit, I thought (from earlier posting) that the editor GUI would be like that of the VST, but if it's not, I can understand that.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but isn't the front end the same for both?

You have to put into context that Cliff's post about the GUI was over a year ago. I thought that it would be the same.

So the editor IS the free front end that he's asking for.

I didn't get that impression, but just mis-communication.

Anyway, the answer to all of this is still 1st Quarter 2010.

OverAmp said:
I say just charge a pro price for the VST (500 and up) with a discount for Axe owners. Use an ilok and call it done.

+1

I would think $300-$400 would be a good price for current owners to have access to the VST. ilok would be the way to go.

Chuck

Lots of dreamers a wishful thinkers here.....

While I have no concreate updated knowledge I just want to remind everybody what Cliff has said in the past.

- iLok - NO
- Fractal hardware input/dongle - YES
(must be used to guarrantee the same sound quality as the AXE-FX, it will have the "magical hardware input section" from the AXE-FX)

- Price under $500 ? - The only comment on price was "that it will cost more then the current amp-sim VSTs on the market" ... you make up your own guess.

:D ;) :( :D

Here is what I would like to see first:
- A product ready for sale
- Sound quality compared to my hardware AXE-FX
- CPU hit at super low latency..... anyone?

After that we can all worry about price.

;)

Back
Top Bottom