Axe-Manage Cabs Question

BCy2k

Inspired
When using Axe-Manage Cabs (In AX8 Edit) to load and/or audition IRs I'm running into an issue when the IR file name is one of the longer ones in terms of characters. Anything over 31 characters in the file name ends up being truncated off the end of the file name. I tried using a couple different file re-naming utilities to eliminate the problem where it lies, but when I re-do the browser scan in Axe-Manage Cabs, I still get the old file names (they're the same as they were before I edited them) and the same file name truncation problem I had before attempting to trim the file name size occurs in the browser. I'm running into this issue with the new Suhr Celestion IR pack. Their file names can get somewhat epic in terms of length/characters.

Is there a fix, workaround, or some other suggestion on how I might deal with this?

I also have a question about the IR Processing mode in the browser section of Axe-Manage Cabs. When might I need to use the 'none,' vs 'auto trim,' vs 'Min Phase' options?

For instance, I'm exploring the OH California Duo files (and these file names are not causing me any problems as above), but I'm curious as to what I should look (or possibly listen) for when deciding which of these three IR processing options would be the most appropriate to use.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

To clarify a bit better, the 1st pic shows the original IR files with their long file names.

Screen Shot 2018-12-27 at 12.09.04 PM.png

The 2nd pic shows the copies I made of the files with their shortened file names.

Screen Shot 2018-12-27 at 12.09.45 PM.png

The 3rd pic shows what happens when I try to scan & audition the renamed files. Note how they revert to their original longer file names, and are then truncated in the Axe-Manage Cabs browser screen. The portion that's truncated makes it difficult to know which file is which. This is what I'm trying to find a fix for.

Screen Shot 2018-12-27 at 12.11.37 PM.png

Last edited:
Yes, there’s a character limit on the IR names for the hardware. If you click on the name text in the User Cab field (the white section on the right of your sceenshot there) you can manually adjust the name to whatever you like (within the character limit of course), and then save and it will rename the syx IR name value stored in the memory of the Ax* itself.

Filename and IR name are separate entities, and it’s possible to adjust the two independent of one another (though more often then not the two match with the IR packs you’d usually purchase from third parties), so as you’ve noticed someone may give the cab a longer more desctriptive name in the filename you download, but then the IR name displayed in the Ax hardware will be truncated to fit within the character limit.

Alternately if you’re using tools to rename the files on your computer’s storage drive first, there’s a tool in Cab-Lab (under the “Tools” menu) that allows you to bulk set the IR name itself to match the filename on disk (sorry, not in front of my setup at the moment, or I’d send you the exact name of the “Tools” menu option and/or a screenshot... ). Once that rename tool option has been run you can then drag and drop those .syx files from your computer to Axe-Manage Cabs and you’d see the changed names (There’s no tool to bulk rename IRs in the unit’s Cab bank memory itself that I’m aware of). The rename tools are for sure available in the full Cab-Lab 3 standalone version, can’t recall if they’re also available in the free Cab-Lab Lite or not...

UPDATE: and to clarify the IR name is stored in the .syx/.ir files themselves, if you rename .wav file before converting to .syx then the adjusted filename name *should* be stored in the .syx as well. If, however, you’re adjusting the filename of the already converted .syx files you won’t change the name that the hardware displays when you load the file, that’s a case where you need to run the rename tool in Cab-Lab to adjust the name value already stored in all the batch converted .syx files shown in your screenshot there.

Last edited:
UPDATE: and to clarify the IR name is stored in the .syx/.ir files themselves, if you rename .wav file before converting to .syx then the adjusted filename name *should* be stored in the .syx as well. If, however, you’re adjusting the filename of the already converted .syx files you won’t change the name that the hardware displays when you load the file, that’s a case where you need to run the rename tool in Cab-Lab to adjust the name value already stored in all the batch converted .syx files shown in your screenshot there.

Thanks so much for your replies!! I was doing the batch re-nameing on the .syx files, which explains much. I'll try it with the wav files and then do the syx conversion and report back what I find.

Thanks for the wiki link too. I'm going to get the Cab Lab bundle next and start experimenting with IR mixing. Wish me luck ;o)

As expected, re-naming the wav files before they're converted to syx renders the files into syx format with the new names just fine.

Back
Top Bottom