• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Wish Axe III wishes

TieDyedDevil

Inspired
Seeing that a lower end Macbook with a Thunderbolt 2 audio interface can easily run S-Gear and a bunch of effects with only 1-2 millisecond latency, it might be time to put the TigerSharc DSP's out to pasture and go with an Intel multi-core laptop CPU? Preferably in a floor format like the AX8 with scribble strip screens for buttons and a better UI and bigger screen. No need for color IMO, just a little more real estate to work with.
How's the authenticity of the S-Gear models?

hochha

Inspired
What should the AxeFx III be. Primarily a modeler? Or should it be a tool for guitarist looking to create a personal sound signature. I favor the latter, to that end I would like to see the addition of a digital loadbox. The Axe Fx II XL + has everything you need to rescue old tube amps except the digital loadbox. FAS has competion from Two Notes in the form of the Torpedo Studio, it has everything you need to work with old tube amps except digital effects, its cost is about $300 less than the AxeFx II XL+. The amp models in the Axe Fx II are exellent and useable for all situations and I see no reason to restrict the capabilities of the equipment for the purposes of modeling amps exclusively. I would also like to see more programable rotary controllers on the front panel with OLED displays directly above each knob.

pima1234

Fractal Fanatic
True spillover (possibly solving the Prevent Spillover concern).

A mic input would be awesome.

Other than that, I 2nd many of Yek's wishes, and certainly the wishes regarding a new MFC controller with features already within the AX8.

TieDyedDevil

Inspired
What should the AxeFx III be. Primarily a modeler? Or should it be a tool for guitarist looking to create a personal sound signature. I favor the latter, to that end I would like to see the addition of a digital loadbox. The Axe Fx II XL + has everything you need to rescue old tube amps except the digital loadbox. FAS has competion from Two Notes in the form of the Torpedo Studio, it has everything you need to work with old tube amps except digital effects, its cost is about $300 less than the AxeFx II XL+. The amp models in the Axe Fx II are exellent and useable for all situations and I see no reason to restrict the capabilities of the equipment for the purposes of modeling amps exclusively.
That's something I never would have considered. I got rid of most of my tube amps in 2007, and the final two last year.

Tacking on extra hardware is a losing proposition, IMO, unless you know that the overwhelming majority of customers will actually use it.

I'd be curious as to what proportion of AFX owners pair it with a tube amp.

I would also like to see more programable rotary controllers on the front panel with OLED displays directly above each knob.
That, I like. :)

Yes, even if it means that the AFX III is 3U tall. :)

∞Fractals

Forum Addict
Seeing that a lower end Macbook with a Thunderbolt 2 audio interface can easily run S-Gear and a bunch of effects with only 1-2 millisecond latency, it might be time to put the TigerSharc DSP's out to pasture and go with an Intel multi-core laptop CPU? Preferably in a floor format like the AX8 with scribble strip screens for buttons and a better UI and bigger screen. No need for color IMO, just a little more real estate to work with.
Not sure you understand that DSPs are specially optimized specifically for this task, and the an Intel Chipset/CPU for a laptop i.e Core 7 is not so optimized for audio [multitasker/generalist & master of none] (using far lesser code/algorithms). Would be a huge step in the wrong direction. What you think you're hearing is vastly different software that isn't nearly as good as FAS. They know what they are doing mi amigo.

NeoSound

Fractal Fanatic
Not sure you understand that DSPs are specially optimized specifically for this task, and the an Intel Chipset/CPU for a laptop i.e Core 7 is not so optimized for audio [multitasker/generalist & master of none] (using far lesser code/algorithms). Would be a huge step in the wrong direction. What you think you're hearing is vastly different software that isn't nearly as good as FAS. They know what they are doing mi amigo.
If only there were a way to to pump audio calculations thru some of the new graphics cards - some unreal calculation power there.

gustin

New here
If only there were a way to to pump audio calculations thru some of the new graphics cards - some unreal calculation power there.
There are ways to do it (CUDA for example), but it's a really bad fit for most audio calculations. Graphics cards are heavily parallel (hundreds of small cores making calculations at the same time) while an audio stream is heavily serialized. The only audio processors I've seen try to take advantage of graphics cards are some convolution reverbs whose calculations can be easily distributed.

AZG

Inspired
Here's a post directly from Cliff that says otherwise.

1500 bucks, you say, Line6?

spx90

Forum Addict
Here's a post directly from Cliff that says otherwise.

1500 bucks, you say, Line6?
He also says concepts already expressed by me :cool:
  1. Heat and cooling, it is not a games consol ;)
  2. But if there is a lot of heat, impossible to achieve with little expense, or little noise
  3. Reliability, AXE and a product Professional :cool:
  4. Only time can help solve these problems without spending fortunes :eek::eek::eek:
  5. Current AXE still has much to give :)

AZG

Inspired
He also says concepts already expressed by me :cool:
  1. Heat and cooling, it is not a games consol ;)
  2. But if there is a lot of heat, impossible to achieve with little expense, or little noise
  3. Reliability, AXE and a product Professional :cool:
  4. Only time can help solve these problems without spending fortunes :eek::eek::eek:
  5. Current AXE still has much to give :)
DSP might still be the best option for a future Axe-Fx if development continues on the DSP market. But my understanding is that the TigerSharc has not not advanced in years (prior to Axe-Fx II), while Intel has advanced a lot in that time and continues to rapidly advance. Regarding heat, look how tiny a 15" Macbook Pro is compared to the Axe-Fx II or AX8. With that much extra space, no batteries, no high resolution screen to drive, etc, heat issues should be easily resolved.

spx90

Forum Addict
DSP might still be the best option for a future Axe-Fx if development continues on the DSP market. But my understanding is that the TigerSharc has not not advanced in years (prior to Axe-Fx II), while Intel has advanced a lot in that time and continues to rapidly advance. Regarding heat, look how tiny a 15" Macbook Pro is compared to the Axe-Fx II or AX8. With that much extra space, no batteries, no high resolution screen to drive, etc, heat issues should be easily resolved.
Difficult to answer exactly, possible that there are aspects that we do not know, how to protect the AXE programming, Who knows ..... Cliff definitely.
It would be nice to have slot "socket-DSP", you can change only the processors, but not the whole machine..... :D

But today it seems to me that the sull'AXE FX XL power, is very high ;)

Coil68

Inspired
Oculus Rift VR for control of virtual amps and pedals that are modeled. Of course being able to rock out with your favorite virtual band in a large stadium for us bedroom rock stars. Or connecting other real wold guitarist, etc. in a virtual band for a real time jam session from anywhere in the world. Practical and easy enought right? :tonguewink:

zenaxe

Fractal Fanatic
Did you not read the link that you yourself reposted from Cliff? It is pretty apparent he has considered such a device and it is impractical for the reasons cited, especially the changing sockets etc. The Computer companies' business, resources and economies of scale can deal with those things but I doubt FAS could in a way that makes business sense. Comparing products built by a tiny boutique audio device shop to designs built and maintained by teams of people at giant corporations for an entirely different use does not make much sense. IMHO.

A paradigm shift could be done and the mythical Axe VST (and maybe an external interface) could be an alternative; but that would be a much different product and really crippled in a live context.

AZG

Inspired
Did you not read the link that you yourself reposted from Cliff? It is pretty apparent he has considered such a device and it is impractical for the reasons cited, especially the changing sockets etc. The Computer companies' business, resources and economies of scale can deal with those things but I doubt FAS could in a way that makes business sense. Comparing products built by a tiny boutique audio device shop to designs built and maintained by teams of people at giant corporations for an entirely different use does not make much sense. IMHO.

A paradigm shift could be done and the mythical Axe VST (and maybe an external interface) could be an alternative; but that would be a much different product and really crippled in a live context.
I did and understand there might be challenges with using a Intel CPU, mostly related to Intels rapid development. If the Axe Fx II had stayed unchanged since introduction I would take that concern more seriously. But there have been at least 4 revisions to the Axe-Fx II since release (mark I, mark II, XL, XL+). So it is not a static hardware platform. Nevertheless the less, I don't really care which route is taken as long as the III is a lot more powerful. And it has a floor format option like the AX8 and Helix.

HarrySound

Veteran
XLR Input
96khz capability
Duel Guitar Inputs
Ipad/iPhone AXE-Edit app
USB port to charge/power your device while using AXE-Edit.

spx90

Forum Addict
I did and understand there might be challenges with using a Intel CPU, mostly related to Intels rapid development. If the Axe Fx II had stayed unchanged since introduction I would take that concern more seriously. But there have been at least 4 revisions to the Axe-Fx II since release (mark I, mark II, XL, XL+). So it is not a static hardware platform. Nevertheless the less, I don't really care which route is taken as long as the III is a lot more powerful. And it has a floor format option like the AX8 and Helix.
XL and XL+, are the same machine, identical
Axe-Fx II has the same power, with updated FW equal with XL and XL +, but with less memory presets & CAB
DSP and lots of power
It depends on what one needs to do o_O
Behind there is a section, to add another stereo effects rack XLR, if not enough
If you want to record with higher frequencies (if necessary) using the XLR output.
Axe Fx was not born as an Audio tab.
Audio USB port, 24bit 48 kHz, and a luxury PLUS
.... possibly my desire and MFC-101 with 3LED X-Y-ON

Last edited:
hmm. axe III wishes.

1. the magic input/output circuitry that makes the fx8 so quiet
2. the rotary encoders from the ax8
3. a third DSP dedicated to reverb & delay, so we can have stereo 'verb.
4. a second instrument input on the front for piezo (or people with Chapman sticks)

Top Bottom