Axe III Upgrade

That’s your interpretation of what I said. I was referring specifically to my experience and ended it with a “LOL!” because I took it with a grain of salt. I don’t take any of this seriously. It’s an effects processor/preamp and that’s it; not some lifesaving device. We’re here for education and entertainment.

I was addressing the sensitivity of some around here to comments made that are deemed anti-Fractal. I was neither endorsing nor validating anything the OP said; not even close. It was a pseudo tongue-in-cheek lamentation about my post. The next time you want to police statements, start with your own and make sure you know what you’re talking about.
Hey man, I do appreciate your communication.

The thing is though, there most definitely was agreement with the OP about trolls/intolerants & zealots.
A mere comment of that agreement in fact does grant life/beingness to the victim nature that I was referring to.

And I don't mean this in a rude way, but I wasn't trying to police anything. Just pointing out observations. Continue supporting victimhood for all I care, but it really is a senseless state to push power to. And I certainly knew exactly what I meant and said ... which I've thoroughly clarified here now.

Edit...for further clarification:
Circling back to my original statement in this thread.... the statement the OP made is not only false, it's extremely easy to find the true data about it. Hence my comment to read and understand the forum. This ties in with what I said about your comment. There's literally no good reason to flow agreement to what the OP said.

Last edited:
Hey man, I do appreciate your communication.

The thing is though, there most definitely was agreement with the OP about trolls/intolerants & zealots.
A mere comment of that agreement in fact does grant life/beingness to the victim nature that I was referring to.

And I don't mean this in a rude way, but I wasn't trying to police anything. Just pointing out observations. Continue supporting victimhood for all I care, but it really is a senseless state to push power to. And I certainly knew exactly what I meant and said ... which I've thoroughly clarified here now.

I don’t know what to tell you when you’re sitting there telling me that you know exactly what I meant. I really don’t know how that’s possible. Funnily, there was a joke made about my cable mention soon after I posted my reply. That person got it. You missed my point and I’m sure it’s not the first time in your life you’ve been wrong and it certainly won’t be the last. You’ll be ok. If you don’t mind, I’d love to drop this and move on. If you need to have the last word, go right ahead and have it. Peace is more important to me than banging my head against the wall trying to prove some triviality to a complete stranger.

I don’t know what to tell you when you’re sitting there telling me that you know exactly what I meant. I really don’t know how that’s possible. Funnily, there was a joke made about my cable mention soon after I posted my reply. That person got it. You missed my point and I’m sure it’s not the first time in your life you’ve been wrong and it certainly won’t be the last. You’ll be ok. If you don’t mind, I’d love to drop this and move on. If you need to have the last word, go right ahead and have it. Peace is more important to me than banging my head against the wall trying to prove some triviality to a complete stranger.
Interesting, can you point to where I said I knew exactly what you meant?
If you don't want to answer that's totally fine and I'll end off. But that's a very bizarre thing to say ... when I never actually said it ... or even implied it.
🤷‍♂️

And for the record, I don't feel like I'm at war with you. I'd hope you'd be able to agree that we were just having a discussion? I have no antagonistic feelings or intentions about any of this and agree fully that peace is great. But we can discuss things can we not?

Last edited:
I get where a lot of people are coming from with regards to the pace of upgrades. A few weeks ago the mkI still was top of the heap, then the full rez came out and there II had a clear advantage, and probably some people ordered one, then a week later there is yet another newer option. Fine and good overall but still can understand folks being bothered.

I mean let’s say they also do a fm9 next week ? Suddenly everyone who just bought the fm9 last week might be less than pleased, no ?

Obviously brands don’t have to share their plans with consumers, but, in a lot of areas there is a somewhat known and expected pace of updates.

Take the iPhone for example, new one every year, and one need not buy each and every new model, but you know when one is coming and can choose to wait. My wife broke hers in August and as the new ones were a month or so away, choose to wait and buy the new one. By knowing the Apple schedule it made that a pretty easy choice. It wasn’t like a 13 appeared out do the blue, know what I mean ?

Likewise, one can buy a 13 this month and not find out there is going to be a 14 model announced in November. It won’t be until next year.....

Now with FAS.... can anyone (who doesn’t work for them lol) say for sure there won’t be a fm3 turbo or fm9 mkII with more NVM announced ?

Maybe, maybe not, but I’d be a little gun shy buying a fm3 or fm9 because it would kind of suck to see an announcement right after wouldn’t it ?

Heck, what if a bunch of you order the III turbo and come November they announce a IV ??? Lol

Any assurances it won’t happen ?;)

Well dammit! I'm pissed because my less-than-a-year-old AF3 is 20% slower/less powerful than this new one they just introduced.

Naaah. Thing sounds better and does more than when I got it, and I was plenty happy with it even then. The glass is definitely half full!

I don't see why we can't all just apply what gear junkies have been doing for years....

New iteration/version/update of what you bought came out??

"The old ones sound better."

Done. Problem solved.

12 months ago when I was gigging/rehearsing with a band (between Covid lockdowns) I was using my Ultra and it sounded great......Nothings changed. I thought it sounded great and the band thought so too.

I bought a III mk2 recently....mainly for the usb, IR slots and the extra power for future firmware updates.....none of my patches on the Ultra ever approached max dsp and it's the same for the 3/2.....Cygnus and the latest developments are bonuses.

I bought my ultra used and used it on stage for many years. I waited through many iterations of the Axe until I recently bought the 3/2.

No complaints.

Just to put things in perspective. This was just a jam at a rehearsal room for fun.
It sounded good at the time and felt good as well.

So I'm if if I'm now a little behind due to a few new functions/features (Turbo and room IRs) it won't affect my enjoyment of the sounds and current features.

Listening back...I'm still happy with the sounds. I am still happy to gig with the Ultra anytime.

Played on an Ibanez LR-10 with SD Antiquites.

I was working a few new ideas into my playing at the time....please excuse the slop, clams and bad phrasing.

https://www.reverbnation.com/bobmeredith/song/21745158-axe-fx-ultra-blues-jam-front-pup

https://www.reverbnation.com/bobmeredith/song/21745204-axe-fx-ultra-blues-jam-back-pup

Axe Fx Ultra....Fender strat Lace sensor Pups

https://www.reverbnation.com/bobmeredith/song/20370686-reverie

I’ve owned/own a ii, fx8, ax8, fm3, fm9, ev1 & ev2. Every time understanding when I purchased a new product could be released the minute my return period was up. That’s just how it is, and I’m totally okay with it. Some aren’t. To each their own. I think fractal makes amazing products that serve its purpose for ME… to inspire me to play. That’s enough. Don’t own a iii. Haven’t felt the need to but it’s exciting that the new products continue to roll out.

Great time to be a fractal player.

LOL, just an observation out loud:

Making statements such as this...."Mk I AxeIII cannot be upgraded to operate with new firmware".... history has shown will invite plenty of policing and flame wars etc.

I don't see any evidence of anyone being a troll toward you. You made that statement and brought it upon yourself.

Just a polite suggestion, actually read and understand the forum...and look up any words that you don't understand. It's beyond clear that the Mark 1 has identical firmware as the mark 2.
I did not word that correctly. I meant I could not take advantage of the new features

Wait a minute. Didn’t Cliff say he was working on a way to incorporate Fullres into the Mk1 by shifting some things around?

The only major differences between mk1 and mk2 are more preset storage and full-res (display doesn't count toward creating sound). I'm sure Cliff worked hard to redo the scratch pad in the mk1 so we can try out full-res. That said, have you even tried full-res on your mk1? You may not even like them.

I've experienced my mk1 becoming a different machine many times over and have received far more for free than any other similar device out there. Most of the guitar devices out there that offer free firmware updates... well, you can thank Fractal for that because before FAS that was almost none existent.

Does any of you own the latest of the latest release of your other devices such as the car, watch, phone, tablet, fridge, washing machine, TV, stereo, microwave oven, air conditioner, shaving machine, dildo, etc?

It must create a lot of anxiety to always want to own the peak of technology these days.

The only major differences between mk1 and mk2 are more preset storage and full-res (display doesn't count toward creating sound). I'm sure Cliff worked hard to redo the scratch pad in the mk1 so we can try out full-res. That said, have you even tried full-res on your mk1? You may not even like them.
I have found that I don't like them. Although once more than the two we have now become available, I may change my view.

Back
Top Bottom