Axe III Upgrade

What if someone started a rumour that the original III sounded a bit better than the Mk 2 Turbo because Fractal was able to source higher quality components pre-COVID. What if that.

That'd be a fun thing to obsess over.

Anyway, the nice thing about this device is that any version sounds amazing, probably identical to anyone with normal human ears, and if you for whatever reason want one with a more recent serial number you can flip it and buy a new one without losing too much money in the process.

OP : It´s completely normal with any technology, no reason to act like this.

I could be perfectly happy tonewise with ax8, it´s still good after 6 year or so, I know many folks, they still rocks with those legacy products..

Personally, As long as we are getting the same amp modelling across all platforms, I could care less about the extra horse power.
Exactly. And considering that's been the case with every Axe-FX generation (I've owned one from each), I'm fairly certain that will also be the case this time.

I apologize if I overreacted and did not express my thought clearly. I know any of us can come here and get help when we need it.
Good on you my dude, and don't take any if the friendly jibbing around here to heart, no harm is meant.

Getting replaced with the newer, supposedly better thing is the nature of technology. Just sit back and let a couple generations of Axe FX happen, then upgrade when you really need the additional features. There's really no need to be bothered by missing out on FullRes or anything, it's really not that big of a deal in the first place. I have the Mk2 but I won't be itching for that Turbo at all. It was likely a simple parts swap due to Covid era supply changes, and being advertised as something newer and better, because that's just a good marketing opportunity.

I apologize if I overreacted and did not express my thought clearly. I know any of us can come here and get help when we need it.
Cliff explained that at the time the Axe 3 was ready for market it had the most available NV memory. Then bigger NV memory hardware became available and the MK 2 was born. Digital technology is constantly evolving which can make things obsolete in a matter of months. I’m just glad the Axe is so reasonably priced for the quality and all in one functionality. It has replaced my rack which cost 5 times more and required a lot of maintenance.

Save yourself some trouble and always check for Cliff’s most recent posts:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/search/search?c[users]=FractalAudio

That’s how I stay current and cut through the chatter…

Just curious about how preset vendors will react to "turbo" - will they fully move on to it?
It might seem more reasonable that they stick to developing for standard version in favour of larger install base that it will still hold.

Around here (Arizona), Tombstone is local history. Not sure aboutthe forum....
Tombstone is largely made up history. In the old days it was fake news or extremely exaggerated to help sell the eastern newspapers, now days it's propagated for the tourists. Historians have spent a lot of time filtering out the drivel.

For anyone interested, Marshall Trimble, considered to be the state's historian, has a number of good books about the time period in that area. He's funny, knows the facts, and writes well.

Just curious about how preset vendors will react to "turbo" - will they fully move on to it?
It might seem more reasonable that they stick to developing for standard version in favour of larger install base that it will still hold.
I suspect they'll stick to the current presets as they'll run on all three versions of the FX3. Adjusting the presets for the Turbo version would suddenly reduce the potential sales of those versions to a much smaller subset of users.

I see the Turbo as a good platform for the person needing to run regular FX3 presets with the new IRs, which take substantially more CPU, so studios and at-home recording are likely, in addition to those who want bragging rights.

Save yourself some trouble and always check for Cliff’s most recent posts:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/search/search?c[users]=FractalAudio

That’s how I stay current and cut through the chatter…
Exactly this. Follow Cliff’s postings and you will come to understand why things are the way they are. And you understand where he’s coming from.

I’m amazed he got low latency convolution at 1.37 seconds. And the second you let up with the innovations someone else is going to pass you by.

Tombstone is largely made up history. In the old days it was fake news or extremely exaggerated to help sell the eastern newspapers, now days it's propagated for the tourists. Historians have spent a lot of time filtering out the drivel.

For anyone interested, Marshall Trimble, considered to be the state's historian, has a number of good books about the time period in that area. He's funny, knows the facts, and writes well.
Movie still kicks ass … VK’s best role eva…

2 of the GSDs here are Wyatt and Doc… for reals

I will say this, Metric Halo is about the only company I know that makes "future proof" hardware. I have several of their interfaces and they are ALL upgradeable. They've each gone through about 7 upgrades. I buy a kit and am given instructions and a video. Remove screws, pop the lid, remove cables, remove circuit boards, pop in the new ones and there it is! Sometimes a new face and back plate comes with it as there are often new inserts.

I'd LOVE this. I have a III MK 1 and it feels as though I just bought it. Kind of a drag. But Metric Halo is the only company I know that's dedicated to this. Makes upgrading much more affordable.

I know him. He worked as a prof at SCC when I worked there.

Yeah, history should be in quotes, or a Dr. Evil quotation fingers meme. ;)

As a vendor no way to do presets with a turbo . You let all the Mk1 users down . Doing presets with Mk1 will work in all the stations .

It’s fun you say this cause I was thinking about it .

Back
Top Bottom