Axe III Turbo or FM9 for gigging?

I get into the 79-low 80's on my axe III with my cover band on a few presets...ones with B3 simulation, Acoustic simulation and "normal" guitar, so going to the FM9 would make me compromise. On paper, a floor unit seems like it would be awesome, but a rack and midi pedal is just one more piece of gear. Since I don't have to travel to gigs via a subway or walk long distances, sticking with the III makes the most sense FOR ME.

Just to add a different perspective: usually when I'm tracking guitars at home, I'm double tracking and hard panning bone dry parts i.e. compressor > amp > cab, maybe a drive block, maybe a delay or chorus for certain parts. I usually don't print reverb, I prefer to have control of verb in my DAW. So the FM3 can easily cover everything I need when tracking.

When playing live I like to use the AX3+FC12 as a pedalboard so I have instant pedalboard access to everything I need for the whole set. One button toggles a control switch assigned to some parameters like compressor level, amp treble+bass, etc, for switching between single coils and humbuckers. I even set the hold functionality on some switches to toggle block channels, so in effect I have a 24-button pedalboard. This cuts down on programming time in advance because I don't have to build presets/scenes for every song. As the show progresses I can just pull up a few of my presets with different amps and similar effects. The AX3 has the horsepower to run a ton of stuff simultaneously and that's why for me it's more valuable live than for tracking.

So when I'm not on the road my AX3+FC12+wireless stay in my SKB 4U guitar fly rack case which mostly just goes between my downstairs closet and car for local stuff, while the FM3 stays at my desk for tracking guitars/bass and practicing. I bought an FM9 but right now it's sort of in no man's land for me: not enough DSP or footswitches to run kitchen sink presets, but too big and expensive compared to the FM3 for tracking. I might make it work next tour though, since I can fit two FM9's (one for a backup) in a single pelican.

Last edited:
And like @strabes I really enjoy having access to all the available effects (and everything else) that the AX3 has with the FC-12.
We paid for them, why not use em! :)

Since you're only able to get one or the other, the Axe III would be my suggestion. I have the Axe III and FM3, bought the FM3 with the idea that I would use it live but it still stays at home and I use the Axe III for just about everything. It wasn't a matter of CPU, I just got used to the Axe III being my 'rig'. The FM3 is nice to be able to grab and go with a guitar for quick, simple gigs or sit ins.

My Axe III is in a Gator 4 space rack and the FC-6, tuner and expression pedals are on a Pedaltrain 2 board. Prior to getting the rack, the Axe III was carried in a small bag; don't recommend it unless you're very careful with your gear. Since getting the rack I added a 1U panel with all of the connections needed for setup on the front.

I don't get the pushback from others on not wanting to carry a small rack and a pedalboard. The Axe III is pretty light compared to most amp heads, a lot of others use/used bigger pedalboards and cabs which they need to lug around as well. I usually take at least 2 guitars, stands and another bag of cables, straps and tools to gigs so having the rack isn't 'inconvenient'.

After a lot of farting around with the different set ups between the FM3, FM3 with FC6, AX3 and the MANY differences between layouts, views and CPU. I decided to Build a small light weight portable rig so there are no compromises and endless time editing presets to work with FM3 & AX3.

I take 1 cover off, make my connections and I'm ready to go!

View attachment 93492
I have to ask... Why the BOSE speaker?

Oh boy, with the FM9 sold out, I may take the plunge while they are on sale?

For those that take these racks out, what patch panel do you use so that you can plug everything in on the front of your rack? i.e. your FRFR and FC controller, maybe power and USB also?

For those that take these racks out, what patch panel do you use so that you can plug everything in on the front of your rack? i.e. your FRFR and FC controller, maybe power and USB also?
My panel is from a gentleman who did great panels but, sadly, passed away a few years ago. You could DIY or Best-Tronics does wired panels and I'm sure they'd be as solid as their cable and loom work: https://btpa.com/Patch-Panels/Pre-Wired-Panels-Custom-Wiring/

I built my own, most of the supplies were purchased through Redco Audio - redco.com.
1620796605621-png.83123

I’ve been using a racked Axe Fx III for years for gigging and rehearsals, and it’s easy to transport and set up. Even a six space rack is about the size of a Fender
Princeton amp, so it’s kind of silly to infer space is a problem using a racked unit. I drop my RJM controller and an expression pedal directly on the floor (no pedalboard needed), and I’m ready. Like I said above… easy!

I like the idea of the FM9, and would like to have one as a solid backup. I’d use it as a second, more portable unit too, if I had both available. But when I found myself in the same position you’re in right now, except that I had a purchase invitation for an FM9 in hand, I opted to stay with the Axe Fx III (adding the Turbo, of course), and have no regrets whatsoever.

I get the FOMO as bad as anyone when FAS has a new unit out, but there’s no bad decision here. The III works perfectly for me, the FM9 for others. You won’t regret either.

...I also MUCH prefer to have no cables running in front of me. Everything tidy on the backline, a single XLR going to the FC12.
Same here. I run stereo to FOH, which in our case is a Behringer XR18 sitting on the floor right next to my 4u rack. I do that cable run with a pair of 10' XLR cables that I've zip-tied together. Also, I typically play on small stages. I can fit an FC-6 and three Mission pedals in places where the FM-9 and three pedals wouldn't fit.

After a lot of farting around with the different set ups between the FM3, FM3 with FC6, AX3 and the MANY differences between layouts, views and CPU. I decided to Build a small light weight portable rig so there are no compromises and endless time editing presets to work with FM3 & AX3.

I take 1 cover off, make my connections and I'm ready to go!

View attachment 93492
Nice, but how that all pack up and set up?

Looks like you've got a small rack, FRFR, and pedal, all separate pieces that need to packed and wired in. Plus an FRFR, unless that's an IEM setup in the bottom of the rack, which wouldn't apply to me, at least for now.

I've got a gig tonight, but I'm leaning toward buying the III. Thanks for all the solid advice. I'd be really pissed if I bought a FM9 and found myself hitting the CPU wall! Better safe than sorry at this point. I'll keep my OMG9 setup for a while to see if it serves any purpose?

I've got a gig tonight, but I'm leaning toward buying the III. Thanks for all the solid advice. I'd be really pissed if I bought a FM9 and found myself hitting the CPU wall! Better safe than sorry at this point. I'll keep my OMG9 setup for a while to see if it serves any purpose?
If I had to chose, I'd pick the flagship every time. A III and an FC12 are a glorious rig of absolute excess. I gigged my III and my RJM 22 for years and it was like having a spaceship command center at my feet every night.

Nice, but how that all pack up and set up?

Looks like you've got a small rack, FRFR, and pedal, all separate pieces that need to packed and wired in. Plus an FRFR, unless that's an IEM setup in the bottom of the rack, which wouldn't apply to me, at least for now.

Small Rack 4U. Small light weight case for the FC-12.
I run the guitar wireless, the receiver is in the rack.
I use IEM.

I have an Axe-Fx III with FC-12. I absolutely LOVE it. I also have an AX8. After 2 years with Axe Fx III, I personally find it a pain to pack up, load, unload, and assemble every Saturday and Sunday for church. I ended up moving back to my AX8. Ideally, I'd like to get the FM9 at some point, but keeping my III.

For what it's worth, my Kitchen Sink (template) preset is ~83% CPU. But most of the effects I don't use on regular basis.

I gigged my III and my RJM 22 for years and it was like having a spaceship command center at my feet every night.

Same here, but than FM3 arrived which was a little too less for my live application and than the FM9 arrived which was just what I needed and more in one box!
No more packing unloading connecting heavy stuff.
This (9) changed the game totally!
People saying the FM9 is not enough for live application would well benefit from a short training to better understand how to use it correctly / how live preset should be approached.
The III can stay in the studio.

Obviously if I had a Roddie / production behind me which means I enter the club 10 minutes before the gig, do the show and walk away without the unloading / loading and all around, I would still use the III/RJM22 which I loved so much but @ the end of the day, its a fxxxxing club, not Wembley arena and IM the one carrying, unloading, assembling, connecting etc...
I had enough of that shit.

Last edited:
I can see how a floor unit would be awesome, but I play in pubs and there has been a beer drunkenly waved near my FC12 more than once. I can replace that with easily-available midi pedals, but the fractal units are not so easy to replace outside of the US.

But the main reason I would probably still use the AFX is that we get the latest and greatest firmware, and they really are great. That is worth the very small inconvenience of carrying a small rack 100m x 2 per gig. It is a darn sight lighter than my HRD was.

I can see how a floor unit would be awesome, but I play in pubs and there has been a beer drunkenly waved near my FC12 more than once. I can replace that with easily-available midi pedals, but the fractal units are not so easy to replace outside of the US.

But the main reason I would probably still use the AFX is that we get the latest and greatest firmware, and they really are great. That is worth the very small inconvenience of carrying a small rack 100m x 2 per gig. It is a darn sight lighter than my HRD was.
This is my attempt too. It’s easier and cheaper to replace just a Pedalboard/Controller than a unit like a FM9 etc.
I keep my Axe III safe behind the stage and only my FC12 is in front of me.

Back
Top Bottom