Axe III + Matrix GT800 + Marshall SV212

Simon Godden

Inspired
Because I wanted a rig that looked more rock n roll, I couldn't resist getting myself the V-type loaded Marshall SV212 that goes with the SV20H (mini 1959 SLP). With FW 11 and setting everything to SS Power Amp and Cab on the Speaker Drive tab, and a 2x12 Lead 80 resonance curve, and Freidman HBE 2018, the rig just rocks.

The SS Power Amp and Cab setting is crucial, and now this is killer. I am a proper vintage amp kind of guy, and I do have mega GAS for the SV20H, but with the Axe III I have something that sounds great at any volume.

I'm impressed with the SV212 - looks great, sounds great, and it's angled and I can hear myself well even if I'm almost on top of the cab.

I’m using the same cab, though with a Seymour Duncan ps170. While I’m fine with IRs through mains and monitors, the stage sound never seems to work as well (particularly for other bandmates who aren’t used to no cabs). I had been messing with a 1x12, but wanted some more oomph and a better look. For the last month, I switched out the speakers as well for some more midrange bark overall. Very happy regardless.

For the last month, I switched out the speakers as well for some more midrange bark overall. Very happy regardless.

What speakers did you switch out to? And what amp models do you tend to use?

Last edited:
This is a picture of us all set up on Saturday, my rig on the left, other guitarist using the Victory on the right. He's a traditionalist, and this was my first gig in this band, and he admitted afterwards that he had been really concerned about whether modelling gear would produce a) a good tone, and b) would cut through enough in a fairly loud band playing a ton of Thin Lizzy tunes. But after the gig he said he was really impressed, and would never have believed it wasn't a valve amp if he hadn't known beforehand. He was taking pictures of the Axe and clearly has mega GAS for it now.

And yes that's a voice box strapped to his mic on the right - made the start of Sweet Emotion really cool :)

My 2002 LP Standard freshly set up and fitted with Bareknuckle mules is on the left, performed like a trooper all night. I ended up using Atomica High for most of the gig, switching to a lightly overdriven JTM45 for cleaner bits such as the rhythm on Dancing in the Moonlight.

View attachment 61471

Here's the updated rig, on the left. Far more rock n roll. Switched between JCM800, Atomica High and JTM45 for various numbers, many compliments on the sound.

rig.jpg

clips? nice looking rig, I've sold my AxeFx II and am using a JVM210H with the FX-8 at the moment, but I may go to an Axe III at some point using a similar rig like you have going here. At the moment we're looking at the Suhr PT-15 which would gives us the best of both worlds (real cab/IR) through a tube amp. it's more money but I already have the FX-8 so effects are covered. waiting for Namm to be over so I can get my hands on one physically and try it out.

Back
Top Bottom