Axe III just about took my head off!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made the stock preset "Fremen's Drones of Arrakis" using this one as a starting point, I just added the "haunted delay" from another of my presets. Not sure what's happening here. Was it with the latest beta firmware ? I never experienced something like that

Feedback paths are fraught with danger. Use at your own risk. We cannot be responsible for any damage resulting in their use. The manual clearly explains this.
Not sure what is a Feedback path ? Using send and returns blocks ?

Wow, mine did that around 2 weeks ago, the Axe and my PC froze and I put it down to the PC being the issue as I was messing with the Routing in Studio One. A quick hard reboot of the Axe and PC solved my issue and it has not appeared again.

I only had USB In, Out4, In4 and Out2 blocks active within a patch.

Not glad I am not alone as I put it down to something I was doing!

Mike

It was with 17.00 firmware. I’m not sure if it would have happened with an earlier FW. I’d be interested to see if anyone else with this preset can re-create the problem. It would have to be powered down with the preset active (it doesn’t happen when you bring up the preset while the unit is already on). Then power it back up. But for gods sake, turn the volume way down!!! I just ordered a Behringer volume control box and will always power up with the monitors turned down. Once bitten…

This exact same thing happened to me with my FM3. I was seriously shaken and my wife thought a tree fell on our house. I still have no idea how or why and it only happened once.

Last edited:
It’s audio… treat transients and all other anomalies incl. boot ups (always) like a loaded gun.

Who here has not replaced at least a half a dozen tweeters? I mean seriously… Amplifiers don’t dig shorts either.

This is pro Audio damnit!

I had something similar happen where I switched to (the awesome) Fremen's Drones preset while I had some reverb tails from the preset I was on. Pretty sure it was Spillover. I turned it off and no more problem...

I had the exact same thing happen on my Axe Fx III when I dialled up a Fremen chord drone preset from his pack! Unfortunately, I'm a headphone player... Let's say, I certainly hope to never experience this again. :eek: The presets had previously worked perfectly fine before updating to the latest firmware, so this came as an absolute shock.

It also happened to me the other day with the FM9. It was insanely loud. It happened with the Fremen preset that came with the FM9 on boot.

Feedback paths are fraught with danger. Use at your own risk. We cannot be responsible for any damage resulting in their use. The manual clearly explains this.

Sure, I understand that while the device is active, but why would this happen on boot up? Not sure I expected the device to nearly blow up my speakers when I'm just booting it up. The manual says nothing about being careful about turning on my FM9 if my patches use Send/Returns.

I thought it was a well known rule to turn on the powered part of your sound setup last, be that power amp or powered speakers, or at least turn them down when powering on equipment. Many frightening thuds and near heart attacks have taught me this rule over the years.

I thought it was a well known rule to turn on the powered part of your sound setup last, be that power amp or powered speakers, or at least turn them down when powering on equipment. Many frightening thuds and near heart attacks have taught me this rule over the years.
i get thuderous thuds if i ever turn off axe before the monitors.

Last edited:
Sure, I understand that while the device is active, but why would this happen on boot up?
That's how it happened for me. I booted the system up with one of the Fremen presets as the startup preset. Needless to say, I have since added a volume attenuator between the Axe and my monitors, and it always starts with the volume at ZERO. The ringing in my ears (which I've had for years) is worse as a result of this. :rolleyes:

So I've automated my workflow to turn my monitors on after everything else is on. Also, its not just a single pop, its a loud continuous noise that will still be there regardless of when you turn on your monitors.

I always have my volume knob at zero on my guitar before I plug it into the unit. Call it a habit
Same here. Guitar volume is all the way down. The noise is coming from the unit out and not the guitar.

We are not responsible for 3rd-party presets. You need to contact the vendor of the presets and ask them to update the presets if new firmware has caused a change in a preset's behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom