Axe III froze during performance

violindave

Inspired
Last night mid gig. Not sure if was the Axe III or the FC 12. Froze. No stepping on any footswitch worked. I should have tried to switch the preset on the front panel but instead I rebooted the Axe. That handled it but it was troubling.

Anyone run across this? Would it be the Axe or the FC-12?

Already had one factory repair on the FC-12 so suspecting that is it, but no way to know

@FractalAudio any way to capture a stack trace/dump on the box anytime this happens? Maybe the box could store the last several dumps (encrypted if necessary) for later download by USB.

I imagine not easy with complex embedded software and not in debug mode, but maybe capturing something could help debug some random freezes/crashes.

Easiest thing to do is remove and recconect xlr to the fc. See if it comes back. If it does get a new cable.
It came back 100% with rebooting the Axe III, so I don't think it was the cable, however I had to change from my usual XLR and string two XLRs together for this performance due to slightly longer distance from Axe to FC. Maybe it didn't like that.

It came back 100% with rebooting the Axe III, so I don't think it was the cable, however I had to change from my usual XLR and string two XLRs together for this performance due to slightly longer distance from Axe to FC. Maybe it didn't like that.
Yes, it can be VERY picky about XLR cables. I've had to order a couple new ones. Spend the $, you'll be glad in the long run.

The only times this has ever happened to me (maybe twice over several hundred gigs), it was the XLR cable. Keep in mind that you're transmitting both data and voltage over that XLR, so it's going to be extremely sensitive. You may have a small break in the cable, where it only shorts intermittently if moved the right way.

Yes I’ve had my FC12 lock up twice on one gig with the same XLR I have been using and I suspect static electricity maybe. I unplugged the cable from the foot switch and plugged it back in and it was good to go each time. I’ve also had this happen at home before with socks on and carpet. Periodically I’ve had the bottom right threee stop working and had to reboot the AXE. It’s been random and hard to reproduce so I’m keeping an eye on it. After the twice on the gig it hasn’t happen since

According to your description, the cable is the only thing different than usual.
Since the FC draws up to 1A, a long cable with thin strands and an additional pair of plugs could well be a reason for an power problem.

Back
Top Bottom