Axe III finally replaced ALL my hardware drive pedals

lqdsnddist

Axe-Master
I've been back and forth with the drive block for years, finding I can nicely emulate some pedals, not emulate others, I've been critical of it, and I've praised it. Overall though with the II and my AX8 there was a modest collection of what I considered more unique hardware pedals, mainly fuzz, as the drive block does a pretty darn good tube screamer and similar.

Well, after a lot of time spent tweaking and probably darn near wearing out the B/fx bypass button (Really need to get my FC!) I can say that at least to my ears, and for my needs, I can get along without any of my hardware fuzz pedals.

Maestro F1Za clone, Shin-El FY2 Companion fuzz, Shin-El FY-6 Super Fuzz clone, Buffalo FX Patriot civil war muff, EHX Bubble Font Green Russian, EHX V5 op-amp muff, Catalinbread Octapussy Octavia style fuzz, Roger Mayer Axis, Chase Tone Red Stardust Germanium, and even my Analogman NKT Red Dot germanium. All going up for sale or having already been sold.

Now for some things, the basic drive block settings really do pretty spot on with default settings. the Maestro drive setting sounds great, as does the octvaia, the Pi isn't bad, but others need a good bit of tweaking, or, running several blocks

Take the classic Super Fuzz for example. Its a 6 transitor fuzz with a hint of octava up, and its really aggressive and gated sounding. Your simply not going to get that with any one single drive block.

But, you can get it with a parallel blend of blocks. One being a slight octave up fuzz, the other being a Pi fuzz, with a good bit of bit reduction to give that gated/velcro sound, and then some parametic EQ to really get that famous mid-scoop 2nd toggle position. Sounds darn near identical to my Black Cat Super Fuzz to where I couldn't tell you which is which.

Others, take a bit of an uncommon approach. My Roger Mayer Axis for example, a unique PNP/NPN silicon fuzz, that was based off the mixing desk at Olympic Studio's and that has that really bright and cutting late era Hendrix tone I actually used a cranked FET Preamp, changed to silicon, with some bias tweaks and again a PEQ block to really shape the tone. Secret on that one ??? Run it at about 50% or less mix, and into a breaking up Plexi, just like Jimi was running.

It pushes the amp into a fuzzy searing lead, but stays punchy, with great dynamics, just like those famous Band of Gypsy's tracks. In reality the pedal is called a fuzz, and can get fuzz dimed, BUT, with the guitar volume rolled off a bit its actually something of an OD/Boost.

Other pedals like a germnaium fuzz require some channel switching, and aren't going to clean-up with just the volume knob alone, at least as is. My Sunface goes from over the top wooly at 10, to just fuzzy at like 9.5, and by the time you roll back to 7 its spanking clean, with that great punchy tone of a rolled back fuzz. As we all know by know, can't roll back the volume pot on a drive block fuzz and have it clean up. Sure, by the time you get to 3 on the volume knob its clean, but its also barely audible.

Trick there is you need to utilize the input block, and the variable impedance. You can change the channel of the block and with it change the impedance which is going to affect the tone and feel of the fuzz. As you roll your guitar volume pot back (this still does make a difference) your going to want to change the channel on the input, with the impedance as well as the output, and also change the drive and level and mix in the drive blocks (yes blocks, I use 2 which can be stacked) so you can in effect have everything from the raging wooly fuzz, to sparkling clean boost, over a few different scenes. Its not perfect at the moment but it will be a lot easier with the FC when it finally ships. Again, not exactly like just rolling the volume pot back and having a totally different tone, but the whole range of fuzz tones is in there at the change of a scene.

Couple other pedals, like my Centrua Klon clone aren't even fully done with a drive block, but instead using a scene controller on the amp block boosting the input trim among other things, depending if I want the "clean" boost, gain rolled back Klon sound, or if the sound of the Klon OD, which is actually an inversely blended sound with the clean boost, and the drive pot on the Klon is actually a dual gang control so when one goes up, the other goes down. Like the germanium fuzz, you can't do this with just one drive knob, but you can set up a couple of scenes that have different levels of drive. So its like having 3 Klon's, each set differently.

Basically, all the sounds you could want are in the box I'm now pretty confident to say! Its already replaced my need for any hardware wah, reverb pedal, delay pedal, and flanger. With the III we also gain some amazing chorus, and great pitch effects where I was able to get rid of my SubN'Up and whammy.

The "secret" is just that your not always going to turn a knob and have a perfect emulation of a pedal. You may need to run 2 or more parallel blocks and blend them to taste, etc, to match what a given pedal does, but the III is awesome for this because we can do things like have 4 drive blocks per patch (plus boost style OD pedals in the amp block now) so you have the resources to spare. Only pedal I'm running anymore, is my FreqOut for feeback generation.

So for all those times I've said over the past few years that a certain tone of pedal couldn't be achieved without the extra hardware, I officially admit I was wrong lol

Wow thanks for sharing all that. Quite a pedal collection you have had. Cool to have it all in one box, eh?

Thanks for sharing the info. Would you mind sharing some patches with some of the settings you mentioned.

GAS for decent overdrive has been hitting while I wait for my III waitlist ticket to get called. You just gave me good reason to wait, and I thank you for that. ;)

I have no plans for any paid release. Already plenty of folks putting out great stuff, and with the expected steady updates of the III it would be a bit more of a time obligation than I’d care to undertake with having to keep things current. When folks pay for a service there is a certain level of support expected and it’s just something I don’t want to venture into.

I’ll probably post a couple just as I’m curious to get some feedback how they translate, but, overall I’m really more about sharing the knowledge and the ideas and inspiration so others can go and create than I am just giving a bunch of presets, which will be just another of the hundreds of thousands of presets already out there.

I think all too often when someone has a preset they load it, play for 30 seconds, say “yuck” and delete it. I know I’m guilty of that far too often. People just want something perfect for their guitar, their taste, etc, and it really doesn’t work like that.

Even when your create a specific pedal emulation it’s really only for one specific group of knob settings on the hardware pedal. Someone who runs the hardware pedal differently will find that possibility lots of changes in the drive block are required just to simulate what turning a single knob does on the hardware pedal. As such, my settings are based on the hardware pedal, as sonically similar as possible, but per how I like the pedal set.

Sometimes people also will think something sounds awful, and the setting sucks, but in reality it’s accurate and that is what the hardware sounds like lol. Ever heard a fy-2 Companion fuzz ? Sounds like it’s broken. It’s over driving two transitors for its tone and sounds like a swarm of bees. It’s so unmusical it’s musical if that makes sense.

Keep in mind that authenticity isn’t always the best tone. Sometimes as less than accurate model can sound improved. On the Companion I run a PEQ after it to improve the frequency response, just like Dan from the Black Keys does. Pedal on its own was a bit lacking, so we must not get so hung up on perfection that we miss out on what actually sounds the most pleasing.

Last but not least, I really believe in teaching a man to fish vs giving him the proverbial fish. Yes, we all like to say we want to see a preset so we can learn from it, but honestly don’t we really just want the ideal tone at the press of a button? I know I do! I didn’t ever spent time looking at how Bobby’s Brit Floyd patches were setup, I just hoped to nail the tones without any effort. Again, I’m as guilty of this as anyone.

I think that by sharing the information or concept and forcing people to sit down and play around with the technique, such as running parallel blocks when they never have tried it before, they can take my ideas and run with them, coming up with new sounds, finding even more outside the box ideas.

Essentially I hope to contribute inspiration by my posts, not provide a turn key product or step by step directions

This is the Roger Mayer Axis Fuzz. Its not a traditional fuzz face circuit at all really, based more on a recording console channel strip than anything. Similar circuit as the KR Musical Gypsy Fuzz, which was then de-gooped and cloned by Basic Audio in their Gypsy, but not to be mistaken for the Dunlop Gypsy Fuzz which is an octave up fuzz minus the octave up (and much darker sounding)

The Axis is really bright and cutting, and doesn't really have a ton of fuzz, but sounds great into an already loud amp. I've always thought of it as a fuzzy OD. The pot used has a really weird taper so all the gain comes on at the very end of the travel, which made it tricky to dial in as it was kind of all or nothing. Lot of people bought the pedal, which isn't cheap, based on reputation and the cool space ship housing, but then didn't like the tone at all. Sounds pretty bad into a Fender style amp, needs to be thought of more as a boost for a Marshall style amp. I used a Dirty Shirley but plenty of other options you can switch it to.

Kicked in, it should sound "loud", and it should also be pretty bright and cutting. Later era Jimi live tones at proper stage volumes. Its not a subtle fuzz, BUT, I tried to dial it in for a bit of a more useful range. When you really dimed it the pedal had some much gain and some weird design quirks where you could get some strange crackle on the note decay, and just an over the top not very musical sound, IMO. This patch is set up where you should be able to keep the fuzz engaged, and rolling the guitar volume pot between 7 and 10 go from pretty clean-ish, to a nice fuzzy tone at 10, with some nice variety in-between. Its not a germanium fuzz so its not going to clean up totally mind you.

I like the neck pickup on my strat, low output CS69. The tone should sound big, and loud, and punchy, with the speakers not quite blown, but for sure being driven hard and the Marshall head close to exploding. I love getting that percussive low end that really thumps you in the chest, and that sounds "live", not a polished studio tone, ala late 69/70's shows. Its not exactly that, as I made some tweaks for my own taste, but that was the inspiration. If you listen to those tracks you'll find that Jimi's tone wasn't all that fuzzy. I guess we don't know technically what he was using, but I think it sounds close to an Axis style fuzz, or some variations of which.

This patch also has a univibe on scene 2, which isn't fully dialed in, but its getting in the ballpark, with that nice low throbbing low end, and kind of pyschadelic swirl on the highs. I'd attach a modifier for exp controlling speed if I was you, fun pedal to play dynamically. Again its not quite perfect, but goal was "Machine Gun", with the throbbing lows and then that really distinct punch on the mutes, with the vibe giving that unique coloration to the sound.

Otherwise this is pretty plain Jane, with just a basic reverb. Obviously a wah and octavia would complete it, but I for one haven't got that far lol, so feel free to improve upon it and add what you need. Its using next to no CPU so the sky is the limit.

I'll be curious to hear how it sounds through other people's rigs. I know most fuzz or "Hendrix" style presets I download never sound anything like Jimi at all when I play them, so curious to see if this one hits the mark for other guitars. Thanks for checking it out.

Attachments

• Axis Fuzz.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 31
I have no plans for any paid release. Already plenty of folks putting out great stuff, and with the expected steady updates of the III it would be a bit more of a time obligation than I’d care to undertake with having to keep things current. When folks pay for a service there is a certain level of support expected and it’s just something I don’t want to venture into.

I’ll probably post a couple just as I’m curious to get some feedback how they translate, but, overall I’m really more about sharing the knowledge and the ideas and inspiration so others can go and create than I am just giving a bunch of presets, which will be just another of the hundreds of thousands of presets already out there.

I think all too often when someone has a preset they load it, play for 30 seconds, say “yuck” and delete it. I know I’m guilty of that far too often. People just want something perfect for their guitar, their taste, etc, and it really doesn’t work like that.

Even when your create a specific pedal emulation it’s really only for one specific group of knob settings on the hardware pedal. Someone who runs the hardware pedal differently will find that possibility lots of changes in the drive block are required just to simulate what turning a single knob does on the hardware pedal. As such, my settings are based on the hardware pedal, as sonically similar as possible, but per how I like the pedal set.

Sometimes people also will think something sounds awful, and the setting sucks, but in reality it’s accurate and that is what the hardware sounds like lol. Ever heard a fy-2 Companion fuzz ? Sounds like it’s broken. It’s over driving two transitors for its tone and sounds like a swarm of bees. It’s so unmusical it’s musical if that makes sense.

Keep in mind that authenticity isn’t always the best tone. Sometimes as less than accurate model can sound improved. On the Companion I run a PEQ after it to improve the frequency response, just like Dan from the Black Keys does. Pedal on its own was a bit lacking, so we must not get so hung up on perfection that we miss out on what actually sounds the most pleasing.

Last but not least, I really believe in teaching a man to fish vs giving him the proverbial fish. Yes, we all like to say we want to see a preset so we can learn from it, but honestly don’t we really just want the ideal tone at the press of a button? I know I do! I didn’t ever spent time looking at how Bobby’s Brit Floyd patches were setup, I just hoped to nail the tones without any effort. Again, I’m as guilty of this as anyone.

I think that by sharing the information or concept and forcing people to sit down and play around with the technique, such as running parallel blocks when they never have tried it before, they can take my ideas and run with them, coming up with new sounds, finding even more outside the box ideas.

Essentially I hope to contribute inspiration by my posts, not provide a turn key product or step by step directions

I couldn't agree more. I think I never got a preset and just used it as is. I remember I was disapointed when I first got Bobby's presets, for example. They didn't work for me at all, but they worked for him.

However, I still keep some very special drive pedals for future references. Some of them I can't replicate or make the sound as good on Axe. But I know it's probably just a matter of time...

I have 9 Big Muffs. Many from Stomp Under Foot or Skreddy. Anyone get a ‘72 Tri Muff or Pig Mine/Pink Flesh tone outta the Axe?

I have 9 Big Muffs. Many from Stomp Under Foot or Skreddy. Anyone get a ‘72 Tri Muff or Pig Mine/Pink Flesh tone outta the Axe?

It’s pretty much just some different values on resistors and such that give different tones. The EHX Big Muff Deluxe can basically match all the different eras with just its simple parametric mid knob. With a proper shelving/peaking parametric EQ you can get just the right amount of mid scoop, low end response etc to match a given pedal, and then it’s just dialing in the gain. The transitors used really don’t contribute too much to the sound.

Heck most build kits come with parts to make it a triangle or a rams head etc, because it’s changing just a couple of parts and the transitors be they NoS Russian or something more modern and equivalent all sound essentially the same, so they dont even change those for different builds.

Play with the Pi setting and a PEQ and you should be able to get close enough you can’t tell them apart in an AB comparison. I’ve still got a Patriot and a BYOC Triangle here waiting to go on Reverb and I can match both pretty easily. A Rat and PEQ also comes really close too.

Thank you for your post. I am trying to re-learn effects after decades of playing very simple rigs. I've made a goal of learning and applying effects to improve my options. It has not been as easy as I thought it would be. The options can be overwhelming, but well thought out post(s) like yours help me. Please, keep them coming.....

Back
Top Bottom