Axe III - Apollo Quad - Beat Buddy - Aeros Looper

mwd

Power User
Currently I run my Axe III into an Apollo Quad with a single S/PDIF cable. Using the Console software I have Logic on one virtual channel and my iMac on another. Easy blend for my monitor mix for jamming to youtube lessons or backing tracks or recording sessions in Logic. Love the way it works.

I ordered an Aeros Loop Station and Beat Buddy for further jamming and looks like I will have to use analog connections all the way around all into the Apollo.

I would like to leave the S/PDIF cable plugged between Axe and Apollo and continue using that setup for recording and youtube jams and then use the analog setup for looping. This is studio use not live at this point. Can I keep the Analog and S/PDIF out, from the Axe both active and manage which I use by muting one or the other in Console or do I have to change something in the Axe to change outputs.

Last edited:
Nice setup :)
I hope you like the Beat Buddy!!! The concept is truly amazing, but IMO it falls short after that. I have one that I never use because I found it counterintuitive on how the timing of hitting the foot switches works. I found it easy to miscue scene changes and fills. I also found the samples and foot control in my old Alesis SR-16 much better than the Beat Buddy. The Beat Buddy software for creating beats is terrible. Last time I checked the firmware and software still had no significant updates. I currently use my Alesis SR-16 for jamming and sometimes live. I really wanted the Beat Buddy to replace the SR-16 for a list of reasons (programming beats and quick tempo changes the biggest).
I'm very interested to hear if you have a similar experience with the Beat Buddy.
Have fun with the new toys!!!
Cheers
Wally

Reactions: mwd
Thanks for the heads up and reply Wally. These toys I got for probably not the traditional use. BB was mainly for a metronome on steroids. For live we create studio live backing tracks and use show buddy to control lights and preset changes. I can’t see myself using this rig live. But mainly for at home scale workouts, new ideas, dual lead practice and such.

Day one I gotta’ say I’m impressed. I ran the BB in stereo and threw in a Fairchild 670 compressor with a EMT plate verb and put it on the blues one loop and smack. Between last night and this morning I’ve jammed 4 hours which is what I hoped for. A workout rig. I barely ventured into drum fills and secondary parts but I see what you mean. Timing is crucial.

I may get bored with this and I could accomplish the same thing (to my knowledge) with Logic but 1 day in and it has my attention. I just have to get the quirks and functions with some experience. Thanks again for sharing.

Currently I run my Axe III into an Apollo Quad with a single S/PDIF cable. Using the Console software I have Logic on one virtual channel and my iMac on another. Easy blend for my monitor mix for jamming to youtube lessons or backing tracks or recording sessions in Logic. Love the way it works.

Hi can you tell me the difference using 1 SPIDIF compared to 2 SPIDIF cables - currently Im using 2 cables into my interface - whats the difference ? thanks

As far as I know the two S/PDIF connections are 1 in and 1 out. I use only the out since I'm using the Apollo as my audio interface. You could use the in if you wanted the Axe to be your audio interface for a S/PDIF out device. One S/PDIF cable does what 2 analog cables do (L/R).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom