Axe III and Low Volume Power Amp/Cab Setup

I am going to be running my Axe III into a tube power amp and real speaker cab - but want to be able to play this setup at quite low volume...

i know i need to disable Cab modeling but in doing some searches on whether to disable Power Amp modeling, I also came across this from a closed thread:

yek said:
So, for those changing regularly between FRFR and traditional guitar speakers:

When using a traditional guitar cabinet, the following params in the Amp block should stay at zero:

• Speaker Drive
  • Speaker Compression
  • Speaker Compliance

Also, Output Mode in the Amp block should be set appropriately:

• FRFR, or
  • SS PA + Cab
Fractal said:
Not necessarily. If using a tube power amp into a traditional cab all should be zero. If using a solid-state amp into a traditional cab I would recommend Speaker Compression and Compliance not be zero

so, two questions:

1) is the above statement from fractal true, even if you are at low, tv volumes when using a tube amp, or is it only if you have the tube power amp pumping?

2) it seems there are still speaker parameters that need to be adjusted, even after the Cab modeling is disabled?

There are no hard and fast rules. Try setting and disabling each parameter to see which sounds best to you. There are some people who turn on cabs even when they are going into a power amp and cab. That is the beauty with modeling, you can try these things without fear of blowing up you gear.

If you are using tube power at low volume it buys you very little, IME. In fact with an Axe and its power amp modeling it is arguably worse. Unless you want the tube power for when you turn up, I would recommend using an SS amp instead. The Axe can simulate the power amp running at a much higher output operating point (i.e. the sweet spot) than the actual amp can at low volume.

I own multiple tube and SS power amps and two generations of Axes (2,3) and honestly, the tube amps are more finicky to setup especially if you are not pushing much air. In general, I don't turn power amp modeling or cab resonances all the way off at low volumes the way you would at high volumes because of the effect of operating point and volume perception... I find I end up adjusting both to find a really good operating point. I also find it pretty much a necessity to post EQ (this is true for both SS and Tube).

If you are running at home studio volumes most of the time, a tube amp is a bit of a compromise. IMHO.

I always do run with cab modeling off w/ a real cab, BTW, no matter what volume at least that is black and white.

Back
Top Bottom